Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M50 alum Flywheel-clutch with G260 tranny OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 alum Flywheel-clutch with G260 tranny OK?

so Im in a mental block, cant source a single mass '325i" flywheel for cheap so im about to pull the trigger on a lightening SM M50 flywheel with clutch to mate with a manual G260 for my swap, seems it seems M50 people use the M20 clutch kit so I should be OK with this? let me know thanks

SACHS-STAGE 3 HD CLUTCH KIT+ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL Fits 92-98 BMW 325 328 M50 M52 E36 | eBay

Id stick to steel/ chromoly flywheel on a street car. It'll keep harmonics down and transmission form rattling.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
      Id stick to steel/ chromoly flywheel on a street car. It'll keep harmonics down and transmission form rattling.
      thanks for the advice..

Comment

BMW M20 Lightweight Chrome-Molly Steel Flywheel, standard 228mm clutch fitment. Light and very strong. DMF replacement conversions also available.

Comment

with the differences in bell housing depths, i'm going to go out on a limb and say they are not compatible. i would recommend sticking with the clutch and flywheel that matches the transmission you have.
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
            with the differences in bell housing depths, i'm going to go out on a limb and say they are not compatible. i would recommend sticking with the clutch and flywheel that matches the transmission you have.
            that does ring a bell.. I seen that some M50 people use the M20 clutch as an "Upgrade" ?!?!

thanks for the info

Comment

Some early Etas had a deeper bellhousing (maybe would need that 323i TOB?), but late model G260 should be PNP with M5x stuff?

Take this with a grain of salt, but I think all the 24v and late M20 clutch stack heights are ~the same?
              The TOB is the same part though, and I have an S52 FX racing Chromoly flywheel/S52 clutch and OEM TOB and it seems to fit.
              Starter to match the flywheel
              Slave cyl to match the trans

I can't imagine the M20 clutch is much of an upgrade, dropping from 240mm to 228mm, unless it's just for a cheap flywheel solution.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                Some early Etas had a deeper bellhousing (maybe would need that 323i TOB?), but late model G260 should be PNP with M5x stuff?
                Take this with a grain of salt, but I think all the 24v and late M20 clutch stack heights are ~the same?
                The TOB is the same part though, and I have an S52 FX racing Chromoly flywheel/S52 clutch and OEM TOB and it seems to fit.
                Starter to match the flywheel
                Slave cyl to match the trans

I can't imagine the M20 clutch is much of an upgrade, dropping from 240mm to 228mm, unless it's just for a cheap flywheel solution.
                thanks for the response .. mine is a 88 SETA late model, I also heard the TOB should be of the M50 to fix the "deep issue" on the bell housing, I am so close to getting this finish and this along with it might being an M52 block is throwing me off for a bit...

hopefully when all this is done I can update the smog/M50/m52 forums ;) lol

Comment

SETA (or anything with the twin mass or oversized single mass flywheel) had the deep bellhousing, FWIW.

Comment

SETA (or anything with the twin mass or oversized single mass flywheel) had the deep bellhousing, FWIW.
                    I was told using the M50 TOB should help that issue..?

Comment

Originally posted by e30strokr View Post

I was told using the M50 TOB should help that issue..?
                      can't tell you either way, because i've never done that, but just letting you know you have the deep bellhousing.

Comment

can't tell you either way, because i've never done that, but just letting you know you have the deep bellhousing.
                        thanks for the advice/info

Comment

Is this FX racing the same brand I see on eBay? I have an s52 from an auto and need Flywheel/TOB/Clutch/pilot bearing/flywheel bots... pretty much a kit that is for sale for a good price.

Comment

Originally posted by jbontke View Post

Is this FX racing the same brand I see on eBay? I have an s52 from an auto and need Flywheel/TOB/Clutch/pilot bearing/flywheel bots... pretty much a kit that is for sale for a good price.
                            Yes, that's where I've bought mine. I've seen the kits go as cheap as $240usd, but that was before COVID times...
                            I think a dozen others sell the same flywheel in their kits also and I'm not sure if there's a difference in the rest of the kit.
                            I bought the Stage 3 setup and it came with an Sachs S52 clutch that I could see the etched part number through the blue paint.

The TOB and pilot bearing I'd say are worth throwing in the bin and buying something OEM. A few people have had problem with them, and once I had the two side by side, the FX TOB felt really cheap.

I planned to turbo the car, so I went with the stage 3, but I know a guy who does autox/lapping with his M3 and he as like 5 years without issues on the stage 2.
                            Also drifting/clutch kicking seems to destroy the stage 3 clutch quickly.

It came with flywheel bolts, which I used with loctite. They're 10.9 instead of 12.9 but I've put ~350whp through them for a while with no issues.

Don't forget a new pivot pin, I used a new stock plastic one.
                            Originally posted by priapism
                            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                            Originally posted by shameson
                            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Don't forget a new pivot pin, I used a new stock plastic one.
                              Is this a part for the clutch fork?

Comment

Working...
                              X