My 24v long term swap :) S54 I Love.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    for an S54, go with 3" single exhaust. lighter and better flowing than E46 M3 exhaust.
    but then it sounds like a poopera :( not an angry ITB BMW shooting exhaust out 2 pipes.

its absolutely ridiculous feeling to do WOT at 140mph+ with euro s54 catless headers + OEM usa e46m catless 60mm twin pipes. just mid pipes 1+2, the noise is fantastic, straight engine noise. to sneak by track DB regulations have a J pipe set in the mufler placement made with supertrapps. otherwise a 4 pack of resonators with a X pipe merge should make it pretty gnarly sounding, boxxer engines sound fantastic with those kind of setups ( 2 resonators, no muffler)

Just run no muffler if flow is of concern!!! the OEM e46m muffler is a ridiculous item.

Here is a quiet street s54 with euro headers+ S54 OEM midpipe section 1+2 and single muffler (OEM e36M) sounds like this; just imagine sitting in your e30 with this background noise. I am, hopefully soon!!!

Single muffler from e36M fits and sounds closer to any true e30 single muffler with 2 pipes in/out than a E46m 4 tip muffler.

if you want to run midpipes only (mufflerless) the max volume of sound from exhaust can be achieved. Tachometer was not calibrated in the DTA in this video, it was the first start up vid I took. Please excuse the "400 rpm" idle and incorrect tacho.

Last edited by Wanganstyle; 01-10-2012, 03:15 PM.
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

it shouldn't sound like poop if you build it right. I dunno. I think my current exhaust will work fine. :)

besides - S54 induction noise is way better than exhaust noise. S54 exhaust usually sounds crappy regardless. There is also more power to be made with 3" over any stock dual exhaust. some race cars even go to 3.5", but that's overkill for a street car.

Actually, BMW induction sound in general is better than exhaust - plus it has the benefit of only being loud when you're in it. If you want to drive quietly, you can..
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
        6 speed shift linkage+transmission mount/brace+Driveshaft = BNB designs 6 speed e30 swap kit;

My car is the prototype for the production kits. Kit has been designed to fit both the new 2005+ Zhp ZF 6 speeds and the older Getrag e36/m46m 6 speeds. Designed for both SOHC and DOHC engines: M42/M20/M50/M52/M54/S50/S52/S54

S54 engine Motor mounts is same as any S52/m50 swap into E30. Use the e36 engine arms and your mounts of choice- AKG/others make aftermarket for race cars/play cars, there are a few OEM options for street car use.

Headers:

My car currently has a set of vintage Hardy and Beck Longtube headers with the vintage built M20 engine.

Headers also depends on your subframe/oil pan choice - if you run a custom modified subframe with modified s54 oil pan, you may have more clearance.

Also the issue of single pipe vs twin piping. Your exhaust shop will need to decide this one.

S54 uses 2x 60mm pipes from header all the way to muffler. No Usa e30/e36 has similar piping size.

S54 headers or s50b32 headers share exhaust geometry, a EURO 3.2 e36m can pnp the header of s54 to the midpipe of s50b32. (in a e36M euro evo chassis)

E30 chassis cannot fit a longtube header designed for E36, such as aftermarket "euro" longtubes made to copy s50b32 headers.

Custom modification to OEM mid pipes is required to fit an entire S52b32 USA engine and its midpipes/cats+ oem shorty tiny headers into a e30.
        THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Im doing this swap on my 88m3

Comment

history
          Last edited by Wanganstyle; 12-28-2016, 11:30 AM.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

OMG the sound of the engine in the 2nd vid

fap fap fap fap

Comment

no problem!

you called me over a year ago about my DTA s100 swap harness built for s54 - I remember. What are you doing for brains nowdays for your s54?
              sent the oem ecu to germany and had it done,whats your email i will send some pics of the project so far:)

Comment

Originally posted by prada88m3 View Post
                sent the oem ecu to germany and had it done,whats your email i will send some pics of the project so far:)
                Am weighing out my options for hacking my ECU, may i ask who reprogrammed yours?

Ralph

Comment

Wangan this thread is great. Thanks for posting so much info. I will one day build an S54 E30

Bahama Beige E23 Project
                  Bluebird Bus Conversion
                  New Oregon Trail

Comment

Authentic 1985 hand built H&B 327s engine engine in traffic with 6 speed. Cant fake gear 6....

This is the the my car taking one of 8 dyno pulls that day.

Last edited by Wanganstyle; 12-28-2016, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I cant find these "BNB" tranny mounts.. link?
                      sigpic
                      Alpina B6 2.8/1 Project
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=345025
                      Frankenstein Turbo Swap Thread [On Hold]
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255606

Comment

Originally posted by EulB30 View Post
                        I cant find these "BNB" tranny mounts.. link?

Hi! I am Julian and I own BNB>

Sorry we have been hoarding all of products and installing only locally but that is soon about to change.

What engine / transmission combo do you want to run?
                        Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
                        Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
                        Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Well i'm still in the mix researching some things, but it looks like i'll be rocking a m50 w/ either a zf 6 or getrag 5.
                          sigpic
                          Alpina B6 2.8/1 Project

Comment

history
                            Last edited by Wanganstyle; 12-28-2016, 11:31 AM.

Comment

getrag 5 is --> go in the trash unless its a G250. those shift better than the ancient G260.

ZF320 is the workhorse modern 5 speed gearbox used up until 2005. These are nice if you get a NEWER ONE, not some OLD garbage leaking one. ZF 5 speeds from 1992-1999 are also famous for needing detent pin service - be for warned. plan for this expense/hassle

all vanos M50 will come with a G250 attached to it - to use it no kit is required.

if you want a the ultimate modern 6 speed gearbox, you can run a ZF 6 speed from a e46 330i ZHP, a e60 530i sport, or a 135i/335i.

if you dont want / have the budget for a 6 speed, then use the normal cheap 5 speed route popular with swaps. no kit required, much cheaper.
                              Well to be honest my e30 just got totaled and i got $5k for the car. I have a complete m50b25+dme & complete m54b30 i will be going M50B30 (possible overbore+forged pistons) turbo build. Problem is i dont have a tranny although $5k sounds like a lot.. It really isn't. The ZHP i can't find any under $1800 where as others on the forum have been blessed to grab them @ $300-$1000 from junk yards. So for me a 5spd on 2.93 lsd should suffice. But in case i do find either or i'd like to know how much i'd be looking at for the mounts on both a 5/6spd.
                              sigpic
                              Alpina B6 2.8/1 Project

Comment

Have you checked www.car-parts.com ?

Comment

Working...
                                X