M54 Madness, the remix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
    No, it's cool. Any knowledge that advances the art is welcome.
    Do you plan on a dyno trip? Seeing you went for comfort on the exhaust, am curious (I think the new exhaust would actually be better). Many thing "headers" instantly means more power, but usually the contrary. On the m20 we saw a couple wtq, 0whp gain, but it was just a side exit and cheesy y-pipe close to the collectors (not a car we bult, just one we tuned before and after).
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      Do you plan on a dyno trip?
      Yes! I just resolved my last issue this morning. It wasn't revving past 6000 because I'm using a Toyota 1JZ ignitor box which has smart dwell. I had my dwell at 3ms and the ignitor box was protesting at 6000 by cutting spark, not limiting dwell. I reduced my dwell to 2.4ms and now it spins to 7200.

So, I will schedule a return to the dyno.

-New exhaust. Car is 10x quieter and also stronger with the OBD2 headers and smaller diameter down pipes.

-Static cam timing. Intake cam had been retarded about 8 degrees. Dead-on now.

-VANOS seals. They broke into pieces when removed. Intake cam was not advancing nearly enough and was hard to control.

On the negative side I added a MAF which I didn't have before.

Comment

Well since the OP said it was OK, here's my build. I won't be doing a build thread of my own. However, I will answer any questions that might come my way.

1993 325is - 2,380lbs no driver

3.0 build, M52 Z3 aluminum block, Vanos head
        11.5:1 84.5mm Imagineering pistons (Paul Burke)
        Metric Mechanic rally cams
        Molnar rods
        Ported head
        1mm over valves
        3.5" intake
        540i MAF
        Riot Racing 68mm TB
        24lb injectors
        22nd Productions remote tune (22rpd.com) on Bosch 413 DME
        Lightweight S52 crank
        UUC flywheel/M5 clutch
        Raceland shorty headers
        Custom 3" exhaust
        Several oiling mods

And the start of the new header (I bought 2 of them):

Expecting something similar (but better looking) to this:

Comment

^ Where did you source that style ATI damper from? Did it come with a hub made for it or uses the stock crank hub?

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |

Comment

that header for what looks like s54 looks alright, id be getting stepped primaries if i was you
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Primaries look a little large, but the design is bang up. People tent to over-size headers - but keep something in mind - NASCAR use 1.625" primaries (stepped up after) on a 4" bore and make 100hp per cylinder.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

Originally posted by craz azn View Post
                ^ Where did you source that style ATI damper from? Did it come with a hub made for it or uses the stock crank hub?
                I bought it from Dan at Pure Performance in Cali. The hub is from ATI as well. Complete replacement for everything OEM.

Originally posted by digger View Post
                that header for what looks like s54 looks alright, id be getting stepped primaries if i was you
                Mine will be stepped primaries, 1.5 x 9"/1.625 x 9"/1.75 x 9".

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                Primaries look a little large, but the design is bang up. People tent to over-size headers - but keep something in mind - NASCAR use 1.625" primaries (stepped up after) on a 4" bore and make 100hp per cylinder.
                See above.

That photo was just to show the "equal length" style/design that my fabricator Zack envisions.

Comment

Didn't see a size mentioned, but seems as you got the right stuff going on :) 1.5" initial primaries is a good choice.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
                    I bought it from Dan at Pure Performance in Cali. The hub is from ATI as well. Complete replacement for everything OEM.

Mine will be stepped primaries, 1.5 x 9"/1.625 x 9"/1.75 x 9".

See above.

That photo was just to show the "equal length" style/design that my fabricator Zack envisions.
                    that would be would i would do except the 1.75" part. what size did burns choose for the choke and the secondary?
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

They spec'd 2" secondaries into a 2 1/2" choke. Rest of the exhaust is 3". That's the size of my current setup and it seems to work very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
                        They spec'd 2" secondaries into a 2 1/2" choke. Rest of the exhaust is 3". That's the size of my current setup and it seems to work very well.
                        i mean choke at end of primaries as you said you bought two 3 into 1 merge collectors.

Comment

I'm not sure there is any true "choke" at the ends of the primaries. The 3-1 collector in the photo is 3 x 1.75" inlet and 1 x 2" outlet.

Comment

Oh ok, I looked at previous/first pic and there was optical illusion

Comment

Bump?
                              E92 Msport

Comment

Originally posted by TheAxiom View Post
                                Bump?

Having the battery disconnected so much recently killed my cluster. No tach, no temp, etc. It's been at Bavarian Restoration where Greg r/r the SI board plus a few enhancements.

I'll try to make a dyno visit in January.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X