No announcement yet.

M54 Madness, the remix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure in the end its not a big difference regarding the coolant flow. The M50/2 based engines can make a ton of power without fuss. Mike R just laid down an 8.9s pass woth his 1000+whp stock ECU, no nitrous run. If the engine can take that, a simple 500whp setup has no issues whatsoever.
    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Subbed. I am swapping an M52TU and am really interested in seeing what you do with the megasquirt instead of the stock DME.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDonVon View Post
        Subbed. I am swapping an M52TU and am really interested in seeing what you do with the megasquirt instead of the stock DME.
        Have you seen Steve's original thread?

It may offer you the answers you are looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by mike25 View Post
          Have you seen Steve's original thread?

It may offer you the answers you are looking for?
          Just read the initial thread, now I am even more interested. I am new to BMW still so im not exactly 100% sure of the differences between the M52TU and the M54 discussed in steve's swap, but I am sure i will figure it out along the way. I have never done any tuning, never even played with it, so the Megasquirt setup is going to be a challenge, but its a learning experience right? I will be reading Steve's megasquirt blog to see what i can absorb before starting my project. I am a Mechanical Engineer, so i am no expert in the electrical realm. But nothing is impossible!

Steve, your the man. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDonVon View Post
            Just read the initial thread, now I am even more interested. I am new to BMW still so im not exactly 100% sure of the differences between the M52TU and the M54 discussed in steve's swap, but I am sure i will figure it out along the way. I have never done any tuning, never even played with it, so the Megasquirt setup is going to be a challenge, but its a learning experience right? I will be reading Steve's megasquirt blog to see what i can absorb before starting my project. I am a Mechanical Engineer, so i am no expert in the electrical realm. But nothing is impossible!

Steve, your the man. That is all.
            If you do not fancy going with Megasquirt you can use the standard MS43 ECU.
            Ergen Motorsport in UK offer a plug and play MS43 ECU for non E46 chassis - they remove the CAN bus requirements in the ECU, but leave the EWS as standard retaining its security (most people think EWS has to be removed, but it does not) - and it works.

Comment

Any updates?

Doing something similar with an M54B30 (S50B32 Euro headers, M50B25 manifold, still deciding on whether to use M50B25NV intake cam on exhaust, M50 single Vanos setup) into an E36 sedan here in New Zealand. Originally I was going to delete Vanos entirely until I discovered the M50 Vanos setup fits the M54 intake cam.

I'm thinking about using the red label 413 DME as it already has the Vanos control etc but am a bit stuck on the fuel requirement of the bigger displacement engine. Is it advisable to adapt the fuel rail to suit the 24lb purple M54B30 injectors or stick with the green 17lb M50 items? Will the 413 Bosch run the new engine ok or will a new chip be necessary? I notice in one of your other threads you started with a Dinan S50 chip but later had TRM write a custom one for you.

Apologies for all the questions but I'm really having a hard time deciding which way to go with this project. Kudos for the work done so far, you've been one hell of an inspiration!
              Last edited by Ahmedsinc; 12-10-2014, 01:34 AM. Reason: typos. so many typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmedsinc View Post
                Any updates?

Doing something similar with an M54B30 (S50B32 Euro headers, M50B25 manifold, still deciding on whether to use M50B25NV intake cam on exhaust, M50 single Vanos setup) into an E36 sedan here in New Zealand. Originally I was going to delete Vanos entirely until I discovered the M50 Vanos setup fits the M54 intake cam.

I'm thinking about using the red label 413 DME as it already has the Vanos control etc but am a bit stuck on the fuel requirement of the bigger displacement engine. Is it advisable to adapt the fuel rail to suit the 24lb purple M54B30 injectors or stick with the green 17lb M50 items? Will the 413 Bosch run the new engine ok or will a new chip be necessary? I notice in one of your other threads you started with a Dinan S50 chip but later had TRM write a custom one for you.

Apologies for all the questions but I'm really having a hard time deciding which way to go with this project. Kudos for the work done so far, you've been one hell of an inspiration!
                I'll be dropping the head off in the next several weeks. I will probably spring for a set of Schrick cams.

I ran the 413 ECU for a few years and if you are able to modify the maps yourself it would work nicely. A stock 413 will run lean. I was never 100% satisfied with it because i feel that TRM couldn't remote tune as well as if they had the car on their dyno, although it was a satisfying daily driver.

I haven't tackled the injectors in the M50 manifold yet but will most certainly use the M54 24lb injectors.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                  I'll be dropping the head off in the next several weeks. I will probably spring for a set of Schrick cams.

I ran the 413 ECU for a few years and if you are able to modify the maps yourself it would work nicely. A stock 413 will run lean. I was never 100% satisfied with it because i feel that TRM couldn't remote tune as well as if they had the car on their dyno, although it was a satisfying daily driver.

I haven't tackled the injectors in the M50 manifold yet but will most certainly use the M54 24lb injectors.

Mmmm, nice call on the Schricks. Would love to do something similar but the cost of shipping + import duties makes them worth more than the damn engine!

The purple injectors are quite a bit shorter than the green top M50 ones, reckon a little adapting of the M54 rail should do the trick though. There's a guy local to me than thinks he can rewrite the 413 chip with S50B30US maps for me, should be enough to do the job until I can afford an MS2. Again, by the time shipping & import duties are taken into account the Megasquirt costs about the same as a chip from Turner or Dinan.

Looking forward to the next step in your build - keep up the good work :)

Comment

I ran the 413 ECU for a few years and if you are able to modify the maps yourself it would work nicely.

Purchase an Ostrich 2.0 and you can modify the maps. I am running Alpha-N on my ITB m50 with a 413 ECU.

And yes, remote/mail-order tunes are no where near as good as live tunes. I have found that a lot of mail-order tunes run lean in the upper RPM's, with modified engines especially. It can be corrected easily once you learn to move the numbers around in the maps.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

so running this you can emulate the stock tune on a 413 ecu and then modify it to work with the m54?
                      Engine tuning and wiring products for Honda / Acura vehicles paired with unbeatable product support. Browse all HA Motorsports ECU's, harnesses, and more from Hondata, KTuner, Neptune, AEM, and CROME to tune your Honda engine!
                      -Brad
                      My E30: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...50#post3916850

Comment

Yup. You can purchase directly from Moates.net. Great customer service, they covered mine under warranty twice. You will need software to manipulate the maps, TunerProRT works with the Ostrich and you can't log, but you can change maps on the go with emulation. Best to have a wideband with gauge, of course.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

I've been doing more thinking about your comment about the 413 DME. You mentioned in the original thread that you wondered if the reason for running lean at higher RPM & WOT was the extra intake advance that the M54 vanos unit generated? It's looking pretty good that I've figured out a way to lock the exhaust cam at full advance & get the M50 vanos unit on to the head. Plunger splines mate up nicely, still need to hook up an air compressor to verify plunger travel, but so far it's pretty positive. The downside is I won't get as much intake advance as your original setup BUT the Vanos parameters will match the DME maps. As for the DME, there's a guy reasonably close by that has a chip burner and has offered to rewrite a spare chip I have with the S50B30US data. We'll run with a wideband 02 and see what we come up with.

As always, looking forward to the next installment, Happy Christmas to you as well :)

Comment

M50 manifold and M54 injectors don't look like they will work well. The M54 injectors are meant to be facing the other direction (180 deg rotation). The nozzle is designed to fire at an angle and if you put them in the M50 manifold that would have them firing back up the intake runners instead of at the valves.
                            E30 Widebody 325is - M54b25 in progress (Track / AutoX)
                            E39 Wagon 528i (with a clutch the way God intended)
                            Toyota MR2 (Ice racer)

Comment

Originally posted by shanehutton View Post
                              M50 manifold and M54 injectors don't look like they will work well. The M54 injectors are meant to be facing the other direction (180 deg rotation). The nozzle is designed to fire at an angle and if you put them in the M50 manifold that would have them firing back up the intake runners instead of at the valves.
                              What?
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:

Comment

Originally posted by shanehutton View Post
                                They will work just fine, but not with stock wiring. They need to be rotated 180 degrees and wiring changed to accommodate.

I haven't gotten to this yet; my head should be getting dropped at machinist today.

Comment

Working...
                                X