M54 Madness, the remix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve,

Looks awesome! Some day, we'll have to do another dyno day together - basically, your original M54 swap (and being able to adjust valve timing on the fly, vs me using a wrench) was sort of the basis of everything I've done over the last ~5 years (has it been that long? longer?).

Also, good sign - my 7 and 8 year olds think my E30 is a real race car (lol), and they're dying to go to a track day with me. :P
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Jokester View Post
      So overall, which engine do you think is faster? Straight line, track, etc. which engine do you prefer?
      Schrick cams, for sure!

Comment

god you aren’t helping my temptations. Hahahahah. Amazing work btw.

Comment

Small update. I installed a metal M56 valve cover. The plastic M54 one can crack and leak, a new one is $379. The M56 cover will never crack and has robust oil vapor separation built-in, plus it simplifies coils to the later pencil design. (no more bolts!).
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
            Small update. I installed a metal M56 valve cover. The plastic M54 one can crack and leak, a new one is $379. The M56 cover will never crack and has robust oil vapor separation built-in, plus it simplifies coils to the later pencil design. (no more bolts!).
            Plug and play?
            sigpic
            January 2012 COTM

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
              Plug and play?

Mostly. It fits the head just same. The coils are different so the wiring harness needs to match.

The round black cover is for the integral PCV. It used to not be serviceable, but now the membrane can be ordered from Russia and there are 3-D printed plastic caps (the tabs break when you remove it). I want mine to be be labeled "NOT OIL" in big letters.

Comment

that looks great!

quite a head scratcher when you look at that motor, but I like it. Just says "euro motor" to me even though its just a M54 for the most part (extreme over simplification)
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I always find it amazing the m56 was good for something afterall!!
                  -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Crap. I've had a small oil leak coming from my VANOS area. Checked the usual suspects and they were fine, checked torque on the VANOS unit mounting nuts and one of them just kept spinning...

Comment

checked torque on the VANOS unit mounting nuts and one of them just kept spinning...

Been there done that with my M50 cylinder head. The holes in the Vanos unit are big enough for M7 studs (think intake and exhaust manifolds at the head). Don't even have to take the Vanos unit off. Just tap the head right through the Vanos unit.
                      Last edited by Jaker; 11-11-2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
                        Just tap the head right through the Vanos unit.
                        yeah, I was wondering about that. I was planning on a helicoil. I'll need to remove the radiator for clearance, however. M6x1.0?

Comment

yeah, I was wondering about that. I was planning on a helicoil. I'll need to remove the radiator for clearance, however. M6x1.0?

I edited my post above. Those studs with the 11mm nuts are M7. Not positive on the pitch, but I have the tap in my tap set, so I can confirm later today. And if memory serves me right, I was able to tap with the rad in place by using regular tools to turn the tap (small crescent wrench, small vice grips, etc...) rather than a tap handle. The hole is close enough size wise that no pre-drilling was required.

Comment

This one is M6 with a 10mm nut. (.23" stud diameter)

It takes me about 3 minutes to remove the radiator (after draining coolant), I'd rather make sure I do it right, but will try it without removing the VANOS first.

Comment

This one is M6 with a 10mm nut. (.23" stud diameter)

So just so we're on the same page here, I'm suggesting that you tap out the stripped M6x1.0 hole to M7 and use a stud from the cylinder head (all single Vanos M50/M52/S50/S52) where either the exhaust or the intake bolts to the head. Are you saying that the M54 uses M6s in those locations (the cylinder head where either the exhaust or the intake bolts to the head) or simply mentioning the size of the stripped hole for the Vanos?

Comment

I'm just saying the stripped stud at the VANOS is M6, my exhaust studs are M7 as you stated.

I have found helicoils to be strong with no limit to service life. I think repairing to M6 would be fine, and likely stronger than stock.

I had previously repaired a cam cap stud that pulled (overheated motor) the same way and it was fine forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X