No announcement yet.

M54 Madness, the remix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pan is back from Tyler. I'll have an improved oil pump shaft today and then I can get the bottom buttoned back up.

I also have the cams. A Schrick intake and a Shrek exhaust.
    Attached Files

Comment

Upgraded oil pump shaft from Achilles Motorsports. No more nut to come loose and the shaft is tougher. They even pressed it into my pump rotor.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by hoveringuy; 05-01-2015, 08:45 PM.

Comment

so it looks like you are almost ready to put it all back together???? Are you going to have it ready by the picnic?
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          so it looks like you are almost ready to put it all back together???? Are you going to have it ready by the picnic?
          Doubtful.

Still need to install cams but mostly I'll build a wiring harness from scratch for the Megasquirt. I could use the harness off the existing motor but it would be too much swapping around..

Comment

Cams are installed.

The intake is a Schrick 264 degree/10.5mm. Stock was 240/9.7

The exhaust is a Shrek cam. 254 degree/9.7mm. Stock was 244/9.0
            Attached Files

Comment

Damn, this thing is going to be quick

Comment

It all seems to fit.

As a bonus, the sway bar is relocated to the front and the subframe is narrower, so fewer issues with the headers. Raceland, in this case.

Nice work by Tyler at the Arc Asylum.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by hoveringuy; 05-15-2015, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Nice work on bringing lots of good info on the m54 to the table!!
                  I think they are an engine with a lot of potential. We have been playing around with a couple recently too, these are in track cars belonging to a couple friends, e30 and an e21. Both stock engines and your right about the power it just falls over hard at around 6000 but fantastic ammounts of torque getting there!

here's a little driveby... of both cars.

1.5K views, 62 likes, 0 loves, 35 comments, 9 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Rama Rhd: Stock M54 powered e30 with our ITB's and EcuMaster ecu. (EMU) at the track today.

One is fittd with some of our ITB' and the other stock intake both running Ecu master EMU which is a excellent ecu for these engines, brilliant duel cam control so easy to setup, plus a huge array of very advanced functions too, built in wide band controller so very easy to tune etc. Cost around $1k so MS isnt the only option.

This one is finished and running its at the dyno at the moment so no final numbers yet.

As mentioned m54 injectors are different in the way they shoot the fuel so i would consider using conventional injectors in the m50 manifold. The m54 ones sit nearly vertical and the fuel squirts off at an angle but the m50 ones lay over at least 20-30 degrees so if you swap one to the other then the fuel will always be shooting off in the wrong direction at the port wall... if this makes a difference who knows??? but since you have a stand alone ecu then its just as easy to tune for a slightly different size injector etc.

looking forward to updates and see how they respond to cams!!
                  sigpic

I sell ITB's and performance parts www.racehead.com.au

e21 race car m20 power! 293Whp atmo 2.9
                  details here http://e21jps.webs.com

drive by video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOdPbErYlho
                  incar race http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbr0ZCmjsYM
                  incar video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQyvDR-B00A
                  drag racing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XmznH6PND4

Comment

Very interested to see the final results of this, may build an m54b30 motor in the future if the results are as good as I hope.
                    Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by e30polak View Post
                      Very interested to see the final results of this, may build an m54b30 motor in the future if the results are as good as I hope.
                      Me too!

I sent my headers to Tyler for some massaging. Once those get back I'll have the mechanical bits done and will "just" need to fabricate the Megasquirt harness before I can swap motors.

Comment

updates?
                        My Feedback

Comment

Tyler is finishing my headers. Looks like I'll have those in a week or two. Pictures to follow, naturally...

Comment

great thread, i cant wait to see more progress and pictures. i'm also interested in doing this swap, so any build thread is great for me. keep up the good work!

Comment

Awesome work! I subbed a while back. I am really enjoying the whole R&D aspect of this build. Very cool. Also stoked to see the headers; arc asylum does some beautiful work, their header/exhaust pieces are so nice.

Btw, if you haven't already seen, look for the user PEI330Ci on bimmerforums. He has done an insane amount of work with the M54 squeezing out every last hp. If you've already read all his stuff, my bad, carry on!!
                              '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                              Shadetree30

Comment

headers are in the mail! Tyler took a generic pair of Raceland headers and massaged them to fit properly.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X