No announcement yet.

M54 Madness, the remix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the connectors clear the runners? I forgot to go look before I left home this am.
    E30 Widebody 325is - M54b25 in progress (Track / AutoX)
    E39 Wagon 528i (with a clutch the way God intended)
    Toyota MR2 (Ice racer)

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      What?

Zoom in and look at the nozzle. It shoots out on an angle instead of straight. It wouldnt really shoot up the runner but it wouldn't be aimed where intended unless you spin them so the connector side faces the runner instead of the head.
      E30 Widebody 325is - M54b25 in progress (Track / AutoX)
      E39 Wagon 528i (with a clutch the way God intended)
      Toyota MR2 (Ice racer)

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post

............my head should be getting dropped at machinist today (22.12.2014).
        Any update?

Comment

Originally posted by mike25 View Post
          Any update?
          Cylinder head is at the machinist, exhaust valve guides were marginal so they're being replaced. The exhaust port are being tapped to have 4 exhaust studs per port. It's getting a good valve grind and a surface skim, I should have it back in a week.

Then I'll need to install cams. Anyone want to sell me a set of Schrick cams?

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
            The exhaust port are being tapped to have 4 exhaust studs per port. It's getting a good valve grind and a surface skim, I should have it back in a week.
            Are you doing that so you can run the Euro headers still?
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Its easy for the machinist to drill and tap for a few extra studs. I'm not committed to keeping the euro headers, but I'd like to keep the option open.

Comment

Smart move.
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

hello. Another M54B30.
                  I am running a M54B30 on the bmw 413 ecu with hoveringuys vanos board.
                  I have made a lot of changes on the board like controling the cam
                  angle from the ecu. I started with a TRM chip but never got it running
                  right. The problem with the TRM chip is the way he rescale for the
                  bigger fuel injectors. After i figure out the rescaling it was just
                  like tunning a megasquirt (i have change the code in the 413 ecu so i
                  have datalogging). Now it runs so smooth, idle nice with a light
                  flywheel. pulls hard from 2000rpm lose breathe at 6200rpm.
                  I am very happy with it.

I'll just add that I run with 540 MAF and ebay headers
                  Last edited by MGH; 02-21-2015, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Update. Head is finally back from machinist and bolted back on. Machinist didn't do anything radical, but replaced the exhaust guides and completed a firs- rate valve cut. He also drilled the exhaust ports so I have 4 studs per port.

I have not yet installed cams because I'm going to hold-out for Schrick cams. Anyone have a set to sell me??

Next up is mailing the oil pan and subframe to Tyler for mod.

Comment

Tyler sent and update with this picture.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Steve

Presumably this is tyour e39 sump carved open?
                        Are you having the e39 sump re-worked?
                        Would it be easier to get an e36 sump altered (M50B25), as the oil pick up is then at the rear avoiding the cross support? - and presumably would be a straight forward fit into your e30?

Mike

Comment

Steve

Would it be easier to get an e36 sump altered (M50B25), as the oil pick up is then at the rear avoiding the cross support? - and presumably would be a straight forward fit into your e30?

Mike
                          You may be correct, but I haven't compared the e36 pan with the e39 pan. I can say that the oil pump and pickup tube is unique to the M54. The e36 pickup wouldn't work with an M54 pump.

Tyler has my oil pump and pickup tube and will need to extend the pickup slightly to clear the subframe.

I'll have more detailed pics in a few weeks to show his modifications.

Comment

Steve

Mike

There are a lot of advantages to having a rear sump, specially in a swapped e30.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                              There are a lot of advantages to having a rear sump, specially in a swapped e30.
                              Do you have any photos to show why?

Comment

I
                                Do you have any photos to show why?

Photos? No, but I work on e30's every day for a living and have replaced/welded stupid amounts of oil pans.

They last longer if they aren't the first thing besides a lip to hit something.
                                john@m20guru.com
                                Links:
                                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                                X