S54 SMGII into an E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Staszek
    Hi new here I just popping on to say hi and check out the thread because I will be purchasing an e30 after this summer. (currently have an E46).

I understand the points you are making but there are some things maybe not apparent because you are only looking at his work in regards to this project.

The first project he did took a very long time and he learned everything as he went.

Being an electronics guy as you have stated I assume you already know how complicated some of these harnesses can be. George spend COUNTLESS hours going over every inch of the E46 M3 harness and wiring diagrams and knows them inside and out.

I think he had done his due diligence with that so why reinvent the wheel?

Secondly the SMG is not an easy trans to just swap there is a lot more involved with the wiring and sensors on that trans, I personally think it makes more sense to have the correct harness then trying to make it work with the existing wiring.

Lastly he bought the whole entire wiring system for $100, pretty good deal.

This is also a guy who 3 years ago the only DIY he was doing was changing his oil.

Not trying to get into an arguement with anyone, I just think that it seems like he is just going in there halfa$$ because he is going so quick, but in reality it took so long the first time the second time is going much faster. A really nice thing that I am seeing from this swap is that BMW didnt really change all that much from the E30 to E46.

Cheers:D
    Welcome to the forum.

Beileve me, I can easily see both sides to this discussion, and perhaps if I was standing over the car with the parts in hand, instead of in front of my computer looking at the e46 smg etm, I may perhaps change my mind on the wiring side of things.

I do a ton of custom electrical work, thats just how I am, and I have no doubts in Georges ability to work with the e46 harness. I guess i'm just somewhat disappointed about how he just ripped the e30 harness to pieces instead of looking into the possibility of researching integrating the two together. From my keyboard here it seems as if he's more interested in getting the project completed instead of completed well... Thats just how i see it from my side here.

The other thing that concerns me is what I listed earlier, all these random part modifications, the fuel pump, sender, etc, I mean how long is that goign to last? Home depot can only supply so many car parts if you know what I mean =)

I appreciate the feedback

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone
      Welcome to the forum.

Beileve me, I can easily see both sides to this discussion, and perhaps if I was standing over the car with the parts in hand, instead of in front of my computer looking at the e46 smg etm, I may perhaps change my mind on the wiring side of things.

I do a ton of custom electrical work, thats just how I am, and I have no doubts in Georges ability to work with the e46 harness. I guess i'm just somewhat disappointed about how he just ripped the e30 harness to pieces instead of looking into the possibility of researching integrating the two together. From my keyboard here it seems as if he's more interested in getting the project completed instead of completed well... Thats just how i see it from my side here.

The other thing that concerns me is what I listed earlier, all these random part modifications, the fuel pump, sender, etc, I mean how long is that goign to last? Home depot can only supply so many car parts if you know what I mean =)

I do agree about the fuel pump, that could cause problems going forward.

I would rather get an OEM part to work.

I am sure I will be enlisting all of your guys help when I start working on mine (although I am keeping mine basically all e30)
      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

You want something that just works, which is what he's doing, which is fine. While i want something that not only works, but is perfect in terms of cosmetics, installation, and quality.
        It's not even how I see E30s, it is about how he goes through the process different than you would. The whole operation seems wrong to you... sorta deal with issues as they come about, but that's realistically what needs to be done with pioneering a SMGII tranny into an E30.

I know there are many different type of people in the world, and you are probably a little detail oriented and want to have things planned out and go with that process, but it doesn't mean his style is necessarily bad or sloppy. It's practical with what he is doing.

I personally do like the plan out before I start and know what is going to be step by step before I start, but that's only half possible with something like this. He's playing by ear and engineering solutions as they are required.

Comment

i find it hilarious that r3v, the center of all that is M and motor swap dick riding, finds fault in this particular project, especially our carputer buddy. Oh well.
          BEERTECH

Comment

True, but then again...say it breaks in a month or so, who said everything on this car is final? Suppose he does want to do everything to a degree which is safe and functional, and once everything mechanical and electrical works--go back around everything one more time for checking/cleanup.

If I took pictures half way through my HID install, or Fivelug install for that matter people would probably raise hell at the way things fit, sat and linked together. The fact of the matter is...he's not done, and nothing is permanent! In all reality, I'd be much more concerned if everything he did was considered finished, complete, or polished.

Honestly, his work flow style is similar to mine.
            1. Hook everything up, Test fit
            2. Figure out what works/doesn’t
            3. Remove everything unnecessary
            4. Clean & simplify the working prototype
            5. Finalize install
            6. Hit up Costco for some Polish Dogs.

Shit, this guy is on step 1. Chill out negros, see step 6.

Summary: Of course it LOOKS half-assed, hes not HALF-DONE!
            tasty

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan325iC
              On e30tech they have a 3 page thread dissing him. I didn't understand it at all.
              Because swedes are poor and mostly bi-sexual if not outright gay...

You can agree that this kid has cash (whether its his families or what, don't care), but that kinda jealousy is stupid.

He has talent, he has a project, he is going at it in a logical and well paced manner... we should all be so lucky as to know what the fuck we are looking at when we do something.

When I did my engine swap there were literally wires where I just tied them to either to power or ground as a guess, and was just shocked when my car started the first time I tried it.

Nothing but pure respect for the man and what he is doing... maybe he'll change my prejudice against asians working on BMWs.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe318is
                Yeah, hes doing a fine job. Anyone see how the steering columb was mounted?
                I was a bit surprised by that too. The all-thread he used wasn't even stragiht in the holes and the top wasn't even bolted to anything, it was just hanging on a nut. THAT is half-assed.

As far as the wiring goes, I would rather drop the entire harness in then hack up and splice together all the wires that would be needed. Then again, ideally, I would rewire the entire car by hand with all new wire. But that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver
                  IAs far as the wiring goes, I would rather drop the entire harness in then hack up and splice together all the wires that would be needed. Then again, ideally, I would rewire the entire car by hand with all new wire. But that's just me.
                  Yeah, not like you haven't nearly already done that to our Mercedes... :D

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed
                    Yeah, not like you haven't nearly already done that to our Mercedes... :D
                    Fuck, I've done that THREE times with the Mercedes.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver
                      I was a bit surprised by that too. The all-thread he used wasn't even stragiht in the holes and the top wasn't even bolted to anything, it was just hanging on a nut. THAT is half-assed.
                      If you look at one of the pictures when he's officially finished with the steering, you'll see that he tightened everything up, it looks nice. Its a picture taken from the back seat.

James:

You made the arguement that the steering column is not necessary. If I were going to go to the trouble of fitting smg in my e30, i'd sure as hell want paddle shifters.

At first I was a sceptic of this project based on the way that he was hacking the wiring up, but once I realized that he was replacing those wires with an e46 system, my respect returned.

At this point, my only problem with the project is his fuel level sender, but hell, if its somehow accurate, more power to him.

Either way- I'd love to work on a project like this.

-Addis

PS I've been away for a while. What happened to Jordan?

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
                      On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
                      BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

Originally posted by Addissimo
                        If you look at one of the pictures when he's officially finished with the steering, you'll see that he tightened everything up, it looks nice. Its a picture taken from the back seat.
                        Thats like saying your car looks good from 10 feet away. You dont notice the issues until looking close up.

Safety in mind, that car would not pass tech if it was planned as a race car. The telescoping section of the columb would most likely jamb [as its not aligned perfectly] and the bolts would rip from the mounts. Notice how the columb came out the first time? The idea is that and unrestrained driver [yes, if being raced that wouldnt be an issue] hits the wheel, then it simply pushes the columb and knocks the whole assembly out of the carrier.

All in all, he did just start, and yes its a big task. I see no reason to hack the wiring out of the car because its simply too difficult to remove certin sections. I dont view that as a set back, but i view his way of going about a problem incorrect. Where as it may not become an issue with the steering linkage, or the wiring, his hack job may spill over into the ways he addresses the SMG and ABS issues, and thats where it will become a major issue.

Originally posted by vlad
                        Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

who cares? he's making a nasty street car, not a spece30. Half the cars on this board wouldn't pass tech either. *shrug*
                          BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                            who cares? he's making a nasty street car, not a spece30. Half the cars on this board wouldn't pass tech either. *shrug*
                            r3vlimited - where flat black spray painted cars are "sick" and S54 swaps are "ghetto."

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                              r3vlimited - where flat black spray painted cars are "sick" and S54 swaps are "ghetto."
                              More like "R3vlimited - when someone proves you wrong, you roll over and pay dead" :roll:

Originally posted by vlad
                              Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

He's got my props. Secretly one of my reasons for never taking my car to the shop is because I'd be embarassed at some of the things my inexperienced ass does and the things I do to "make it work". None of them threaten the operation of the car, but some of my electrical work looks really bad.

'88 325is
                                VP UT of Austin Autoholics
                                BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Working...
                                X