No announcement yet.

S54 SMGII into an E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Im gonna throw in my two sence now...Ive read both of his S54 swap posts. The first being 211 pages and still going! Hes got some major bawls...not to mention $$$ and time!! This car should end up being really unique when hes done with it. Just reading through the first engine swap made shivers go down my spine and put a smile on my face for about an hour! Truly a Pioneer...

Id say his steering columb is a wee bit "half assed" (you say) - I say ghetto, but you gotta make it work somehow!

Ive got alot of people I know on my local forum interested in how its gonna end up! That tells ya something, cause we've got 200,000+ members (of course not that many reading but a fair amount!)

I signed up just to wish him luck!

Comment

that's really not that bad of a way to mount it, the factory uses nuts and bolts, and this is essentially nuts and bolts. is it perfect? by no means, but it is a safe easy, up to par way of doing it.
      Dan

Comment

damn. thats hot.
        BEERTECH

Comment

Petty, jealous people. It's easy to be a critic. Until you've accomplished a similar task, you don't even have the right/authority to criticize. Only by trying new things in different ways is progress made.

BTW-I think changing the entire wiring harness is the way to go. Due to the engine and transmission management almost all of it would need to be changed anyway. Let's see, you have all the wiring to engine, to the transmission, to the hubs, to the computers, to the gauge pod. All you have left is lights and accessories. Why leave the old wiring in when it's easier to run the new harness to it? Makes for a cleaner/less hacked install. Full props to the guy.

Comment

I signed up there just to sub to the thread. Looks like he is doing a great job. The only way to do this "perfectly" would be with a fabricating factory in order to fab a full harness, steering column mount, etc.

What is simpler? using things already made and proven? (the full harness from the car the engine & it's systems came from) or hacking up an s54 harness and splicing it into the e30 harness? hmmmmmmmm

I wish I had the guts (and time) to do this job. When I was 18 I rebuilt a Tii motor with no prior engine building experience. Everyone said I was crazy. I did it, it ran great and I was very happy. I say good for you and thanks for letting us/me live vicariously through you!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink
              I wish I had the guts (and time) to do this job.
              and determination / patience

you could run into a wall doing something like this, and have to be strong not to throw shit against the wall and give up

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone
                That is exactly how I feel about it, he's overcomplicating the entire installation, and not really doing anything special.

Its a cool concept, I fully realize that, however all he's basically doing is ripping a e46 m3 apart and putting it into an e30 chassis, electronics, steering column, and everything. There is nothing really custom about it, thats my issue.

Not flaming the guy, I just would not go about it that way.

If I did something that insane (which I would not, I can get similar power elseware) It would be a direct driveline swap, and then integrating with e30 electronics, which will be a hell of a lot more reliable and simple then swapping in an entire e46 harness and splicing it to run windows, doors, lights, etc.
                You are right James, he should run the Motronic 1.3 with a half built Megasquirt to control the S54!

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                  You are right James, he should run the Motronic 1.3 with a half built Megasquirt to control the S54!
                  You know what I meant TJ.

Comment

I thought that was what you meant too.

and someone attempting something that has never been done before and not 100% sure it will work should of course be worrying about how neat and organized the wiring is instead of going with what they think will work best. because, afterall, form and elegance matter most

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385
                      I thought that was what you meant too.

and someone attempting something that has never been done before and not 100% sure it will work should of course be worrying about how neat and organized the wiring is instead of going with what they think will work best. because, afterall, form and elegance matter most
                      My long reply indicated exactly what i was dicussing.

And of course I realize its not going to be elegant and clean the first time, and I respect that, but some of his installation methods leave me somewhat concerned.

The steering colum swap is one
                      His fuel sender modification that was just posted is certainly interesting, even he said it was ghetto, and I agree.
                      Wiring still has me concerned.

My issue with the swap is this, if I drop 6K Grand on a motor swap (which he easily has thus far) do I really want it to be put together in such a form as above?

Take time, figure shit out, the steering column is 100% unneeded, the headlight switch? the obc swap? I mean seriously, the car is going to be a freak of nature when its done (not that thats a bad thing either)

His end result is an SMGII/S54 E30, which he will get, however how long untill all those little shortcuts come back to bite him?

Then again i'm probably just a neat/quality freak

Comment

It's the path he decided to take. It's not like he's just putting an i engine in an eta and changing a few things between chassis... he's jumping head first into a project no one has done, so it's hard to gather advice / insight / suggestions. He's taking something highly complicated and electronically integrated and putting it in a bolt and switch 80s car.

And it's also not like its his only car, he has time to have fun, enjoy the twists of the project and hopefully succeed in the end.

Who cares if he wants to use the E46 interior parts? it probably makes it easier if he's going to use all the E46 wiring. And those included aspects help make the whole E46 in an E30 thing. Who wants our old ass controls?

It's his car, don't criticize something waaaaaaaay complicated like what he has undertaken. If you are installing your S38, do you want people whining about how you fashioned up the wiring or coolant lines or whatever the else fuck you can talk about?

Comment

If I entered into a project like this (it could happen) I would see it through.

Damn you Heeter I really hate it when you make sense forcing me to agree with you, of course you are right that he is doing it at his pace, while he has other vehicles and can do it without the crazy I need my car tommorrow and the engine is not in yet idiocy that we see so often.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Yeah, I'm not saying you couldn't, but shit... I'm saying I definitely have respect for this man's determination and what he's jumping into. like whooooa.

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone
                              My long reply indicated exactly what i was dicussing.

And of course I realize its not going to be elegant and clean the first time, and I respect that, but some of his installation methods leave me somewhat concerned.

The steering colum swap is one
                              His fuel sender modification that was just posted is certainly interesting, even he said it was ghetto, and I agree.
                              Wiring still has me concerned.

My issue with the swap is this, if I drop 6K Grand on a motor swap (which he easily has thus far) do I really want it to be put together in such a form as above?

Take time, figure shit out, the steering column is 100% unneeded, the headlight switch? the obc swap? I mean seriously, the car is going to be a freak of nature when its done (not that thats a bad thing either)

His end result is an SMGII/S54 E30, which he will get, however how long untill all those little shortcuts come back to bite him?

Then again i'm probably just a neat/quality freak
                              Hi new here I just popping on to say hi and check out the thread because I will be purchasing an e30 after this summer. (currently have an E46).

I understand the points you are making but there are some things maybe not apparent because you are only looking at his work in regards to this project.

The first project he did took a very long time and he learned everything as he went.

Being an electronics guy as you have stated I assume you already know how complicated some of these harnesses can be. George spend COUNTLESS hours going over every inch of the E46 M3 harness and wiring diagrams and knows them inside and out.

I think he had done his due diligence with that so why reinvent the wheel?

Secondly the SMG is not an easy trans to just swap there is a lot more involved with the wiring and sensors on that trans, I personally think it makes more sense to have the correct harness then trying to make it work with the existing wiring.

Lastly he bought the whole entire wiring system for $100, pretty good deal.

This is also a guy who 3 years ago the only DIY he was doing was changing his oil.

Not trying to get into an arguement with anyone, I just think that it seems like he is just going in there halfa$$ because he is going so quick, but in reality it took so long the first time the second time is going much faster. A really nice thing that I am seeing from this swap is that BMW didnt really change all that much from the E30 to E46.

Cheers:D
                              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385
                                It's the path he decided to take. It's not like he's just putting an i engine in an eta and changing a few things between chassis... he's jumping head first into a project no one has done, so it's hard to gather advice / insight / suggestions. He's taking something highly complicated and electronically integrated and putting it in a bolt and switch 80s car.

And it's also not like its his only car, he has time to have fun, enjoy the twists of the project and hopefully succeed in the end.

Who cares if he wants to use the E46 interior parts? it probably makes it easier if he's going to use all the E46 wiring. And those included aspects help make the whole E46 in an E30 thing. Who wants our old ass controls?

It's his car, don't criticize something waaaaaaaay complicated like what he has undertaken. If you are installing your S38, do you want people whining about how you fashioned up the wiring or coolant lines or whatever the else fuck you can talk about?
                                I like opinions, and I like comments, good or bad, its how I decide the direction to take with my car. I still stand by what I said, and its pretty clear that you and me are very different when it comes to E30's heeter, which is fine.

You want something that just works, which is what he's doing, which is fine. While i want something that not only works, but is perfect in terms of cosmetics, installation, and quality.

And in all honestly, when I install my S38 if something does not sit well with somebody, then sure, whine about it, it may make me change my direction....

Most people here are saying how awesome it is, way to go, totally cool, etc.

I just perfer looking at the pro's and con's to everything, I like the project, and made my nitpicks. I like giving that kind of feedback, and I appreciate hearing it from others.

my

Comment

Working...
                                X