S54 SMGII into an E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe318is
    Thats like saying your car looks good from 10 feet away. You dont notice the issues until looking close up.

Safety in mind, that car would not pass tech if it was planned as a race car. The telescoping section of the columb would most likely jamb [as its not aligned perfectly] and the bolts would rip from the mounts. Notice how the columb came out the first time? The idea is that and unrestrained driver [yes, if being raced that wouldnt be an issue] hits the wheel, then it simply pushes the columb and knocks the whole assembly out of the carrier.

All in all, he did just start, and yes its a big task. I see no reason to hack the wiring out of the car because its simply too difficult to remove certin sections. I dont view that as a set back, but i view his way of going about a problem incorrect. Where as it may not become an issue with the steering linkage, or the wiring, his hack job may spill over into the ways he addresses the SMG and ABS issues, and thats where it will become a major issue.
    Repeat after me:

column, no b in column.

He is not done, he is undertaking a job of epic proportions. I would like to see you try something 1/10000 as demanding while showing it to a bunch of critics and maintain humor. Really why not give the guy a break?

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink
      Repeat after me:

column, no b in column
      my mistake

bmwchannel.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, bmwchannel.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Originally posted by vlad
      Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Thats like saying your car looks good from 10 feet away. You dont notice the issues until looking close up.

Safety in mind, that car would not pass tech if it was planned as a race car. The telescoping section of the columb would most likely jamb [as its not aligned perfectly] and the bolts would rip from the mounts. Notice how the columb came out the first time? The idea is that and unrestrained driver [yes, if being raced that wouldnt be an issue] hits the wheel, then it simply pushes the columb and knocks the whole assembly out of the carrier.

All in all, he did just start, and yes its a big task. I see no reason to hack the wiring out of the car because its simply too difficult to remove certin sections. I dont view that as a set back, but i view his way of going about a problem incorrect. Where as it may not become an issue with the steering linkage, or the wiring, his hack job may spill over into the ways he addresses the SMG and ABS issues, and thats where it will become a major issue.
        Thank you, glad somebody else agree's with me.

Why not just make a custom piece of hold the paddle shifters instead of installing the entire column?

I hope when/if he finishes, that he cleans everything up and makes it nice, because otherwise its just another halfass drivetrain swap in my eyes.

Now i'm going to sit back while TJ/Whoever calls me jealous, stupid, and then points out once again that its not done.

Please, enlighten me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan325iC
          Secretly one of my reasons for never taking my car to the shop is because I'd be embarassed at some of the things my inexperienced ass does and the things I do to "make it work".

dude, trust me, they've seen much much worse and don't really care.
          BEERTECH

Comment

That is very nice. Where is the thread with daily pictures of the good and bad things that happened while you did it? You can't take off a major part of a car without some damn event happening that was unplanned or caused a hassle.

I assure you if you posted a bulb replacement thread and let the masses critique your every move humor would be out the window with a quickness.

Just my

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink
              That is very nice. Where is the thread with daily pictures of the good and bad things that happened while you did it? You can't take off a major part of a car without some damn event happening that was unplanned or caused a hassle.
              Hassles... thats not the issue, the issue is quality. But just to humor you; i had to repair a few rust spots, sorting wiring issues, and aside from having a leaking input shaft seal resulting in a ruined clutch about a year after getting the car titled, i had no issues that were caused by poor worksmanship.

By no means what i did could not be done by anyone else. Give a child a toy and enough time and he/she could take it apart and put it back together. My main issue with this guys project is that he may of bitten off more then he could chew. He dosent have the knowledge of the e30 to know that an s14 didnt come in a 325, he dosent know that M3's bodywork came that way [refered to them as a 'wide body kit'] and he couldnt even tell you what that silvery box is located above the glovebox. Yes, its all learning, but insted of taking the time to figure these things out, he decided to simply hack them out of his way and worry about it later.

Comment

Joe, the guy making all the posts isn't the guy doing the work to the car.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                  Joe, the guy making all the posts isn't the guy doing the work to the car.
                  Uhh, no, its the same guy posting as it is doing the work. Im not sure where you got that idea, but i had to look back through it and im pretty sure its the same fella.

Comment

Lol yea... George is the guy taking the pics. David is the cousin of George and helps do ALOT of the work. But it is Georges Camera and Engine and Car. They are working together on it.

Comment

Originally posted by s40boy
                      Lol yea... George is the guy taking the pics. David is the cousin of George and helps do ALOT of the work. But it is Georges Camera and Engine and Car. They are working together on it.
                      It's his cousin's car.

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone
                        Why not just make a custom piece of hold the paddle shifters instead of installing the entire column?

he sold the factory paddles though I thought?
                        BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                          Hmmm, I must have missed that part.

Comment

HA! makes my m30 swap look like chids play.

And unless you done a motor swap from one car to another different car - you are NOT qualified to say what is right and what is wrong....

Originally posted by Matt-B
                            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                              believe he said he bought m5 paddles
                              sigpic

Comment

like e60 m5 paddles or whatever?
                                BEERTECH

Comment

Working...
                                X