Help wiring oil temp gauge to S54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help wiring oil temp gauge to S54

I am in the final stretch of my swap. One thing I cant figure out is how to get my oil temp gauge to work. I am assuming that the S54 has an oil temp sensor somewhere.

My gauge cluster was restored by Bavarian Restorations, he built in a stealth oil temp gauge that is a digital readout in the cluster. Off the back of the cluster, there is one wire that goes to the oil temp sensor.

How do I wire that?

Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Note: pictures are clickable to sale links

You will use one of the ports on the S54 oil filter housing (I have oil temp and pressure so I have this:

You will have the stock temp sensor going to the ecu, and another just for the guage.
    You then add a temp sensor such as this:

From there wire power and ground to the addition that Bavrest added, and signal from the temp sensor.
    I used these connector behind the cluster: Hilitchi Connectors

I believe the gauge that Bavrest uses will read 104 at it's lowest mind you. So if you just started your car even in freezing weather, 104º will be the readout.

Comment

Exactly what I needed thanks! I was always wondering why you couldnt just tap the singal from the S54 thats already there. I am assuming because it doesnt transmit the same way.

Comment

Because the S54 oil temp sensor is built into the oil level sensor, and it's only sent to the cluster via CAN.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          Because the S54 oil temp sensor is built into the oil level sensor, and it's only sent to the cluster via CAN.
          Hmm I am wondering of G Peterson Can Bus can send it?

Comment

His documentation states they are digital, not analog outputs, which in the controllers case I believe only means sink to ground. Check with him and post back here. You would of course need to know the voltage sweep of the sensor and best to know the curve as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
              Likely no. But you can make your own box to read the CANbus. Arbid. 0x545 byte 4 on the primary CANbus and Arbid. 0x720 byte 3 on the secondary CANbus are the oil temp read from the oil level sender. It is in deg C and is calculated with ((hex -> dec) -48). Then send that to your gauge in whatever form its looking for.
              e30sport.net
              '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
              '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
              '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
                Likely no. But you can make your own box to read the CANbus. Arbid. 0x545 byte 4 on the primary CANbus and Arbid. 0x720 byte 3 on the secondary CANbus are the oil temp read from the oil level sender. It is in deg C and is calculated with ((hex -> dec) -48). Then send that to your gauge in whatever form its looking for.
                Eh sounds complicated lol

Im going with R3Z3N's solution.

Comment

The sensor doesn't send a voltage signal like a regular sensor - it's processed by the DME and sent to the cluster as the temperature. You're better off just getting a regular analog sensor and putting it in the engine somewhere.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
                    Note: pictures are clickable to sale links

You will use one of the ports on the S54 oil filter housing (I have oil temp and pressure so I have this:
                    https://www.bimmerworld.com/Oil_Distribution_Block_WM.jpg

You will have the stock temp sensor going to the ecu, and another just for the guage.
                    You then add a temp sensor such as this:
                    https://www.jegs.com/images/photos/600/635/635-63-220.jpg

From there wire power and ground to the addition that Bavrest added, and signal from the temp sensor.
                    I used these connector behind the cluster: Hilitchi Connectors

I believe the gauge that Bavrest uses will read 104 at it's lowest mind you. So if you just started your car even in freezing weather, 104º will be the readout.

Yup, I have the podi gauge and I'm utilizing this exact distribution block so that I can get oil temp among other things.
                    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                      Yup, I have the podi gauge and I'm utilizing this exact distribution block so that I can get oil temp among other things.
                      Thanks looks like a clean solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                        It might not do so right now, but I can't imagine it would be particularly difficult for him to add the capability to his software.

Comment

So this is how I did it on mine:

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
                            So this is how I did it on mine:

Hey Justin,

Did you get a check engine light from using two sensors? I am throwing a code.

Comment

^My additions have nothing to do with the ECU, nor technically the Guage Cluster (except for the voltmeter).

Which code do you get? My guess lower rad temp sensor? If that is the case, weld in the bung and wire it to the ECU, or code it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X