S54 swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lifeiskaos View Post
    i dont doubt that anyone in this subforum would love an s54 e30, but for one you really cant use the stock computer (but if you want to, see the link i posted), and two, any standalone engine management that can handle an s54 to it's full potential (DBW, twin variable VANOS, etc) is $$$$$$$$

I was under the impression that the evosport aem was a stand alone system, thats how they have it advertised, not sure if it can control the twin variable vanos

is the $3595 the only reson people arent using this for e30 swaps?

Comment

Originally posted by evangreen View Post
      I was under the impression that the evosport aem was a stand alone system, thats how they have it advertised, not sure if it can control the twin variable vanos

is the $3595 the only reson people arent using this for e30 swaps?
      for $3595 you can have an obd1 m52 e30 with bolt-ons making 220whp. you are talking to an e30 crowd here... the people who have done the swap obviously werent stopped by the price, but most of us here dont have or are not willing to spend that kind of money. $3595 is only the beginning! then another 4k for the engine, more for tranny, a shit ton for custom tuning, more for exhaust, more to figure out brakes, more to put the DBW pedal in your e30

i dont see an s54 swap being done for less than $10,000

Comment

Originally posted by lifeiskaos View Post
        for $3595 you can have an obd1 m52 e30 with bolt-ons making 220whp. you are talking to an e30 crowd here... the people who have done the swap obviously werent stopped by the price, but most of us here dont have or are not willing to spend that kind of money. $3595 is only the beginning! then another 4k for the engine, more for tranny, a shit ton for custom tuning, more for exhaust, more to figure out brakes, more to put the DBW pedal in your e30

i dont see an s54 swap being done for less than $10,000
        Im not defending this as a resonable price for the benifit of the s54, like i said earlier its way too expensive for me.
        I have an obdI m52 e30 which is more than enough to play around with for now...
        I see people on here with close to 20k put into their e30's, just havent seen anyone running this product, which is the cheapest standalone ive seen claiming to be able to run the s54.

Comment

do it fred. you'll be cool as those kids from Staten Island
          Toyota Pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
            Well, it's 2k9, and it's not on the street corner, but close. :mrgreen:
            Haha. I don't want to spend any money now. All the sudden, I've become risk averse. I don't know why. I also don't have a ton of spare time.

I know the engine itself can be obtained for around $4500-5000 possibly with EWS parts, cluster, etc. I haven't really read up on the functionality of the DSC. I would probably want to retain that, and swap to four channel ABS. I know in principle the components involved, but how easy it is to get the wiring I am not quite sure of. I also would rather use the oilpan supplied. The S54 is a high performance engine with a high performance oiling system. This would require cutting into the firewall, which is probably not a huge deal, but then again, it takes me around a week to want to weld a radiator expansion tank bracket.

I am fairly certain the way to fast-track a project like this would be to get a Z3M donor car, or to use a standalone and tune it, neither of which I am set up to take on.
            Last edited by FredK; 05-01-2009, 10:19 AM.

Originally posted by whysimon
            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
              Haha. I don't want to spend any money now. All the sudden, I've become risk averse. I don't know why.
              did you turn 30?
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'm almost as old as you, grandpa. :razz:

Comment

Granted, this is from ebay, but here's an auction for complete motor, tranny, and ALL electronics, from an M3.

There was a listing for a complete setup from an S54 MZ3, but it must have expired since the last time I was looking. For anyone who's interested, the complete package prices seem to be between $6-7k for an all inclusive setup.

Now if there was a way to run the stock e46 m3 dme in the car, maybe via turning off sensors? There's a guy on bimmerforums going that route with an E36:

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Some good info in those pages.
                  2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                  95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                  98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I know this is an old thread but i thought ide revive it...
                    Im not sure how many of you guys check out bimmerforums but this guy is giving new inspiration to everyone who wants to do the swap

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

NOt sure if anyone has already brought it up but i figured i would

Comment

Someone else has, I just don't recall where.

Comment

any updates of the ews III bypass?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Evidently, it is possible to bypass EWSIII on the MSS54. However, I do not know how to do it.

Comment

I will know how to do it soon. It is my current to-do task.

Soon could be relative. The sun will explode soon, in the grand scheme of the universe.

Comment

Oh? Is deleting DSC over CAN on that list too?

Comment

Has anyone thought of just using megasquirt? I think they should be able to control vanos by now?

Comment

Working...
                                X