No announcement yet.

M54. Let the foolishness begin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the only OBC function that relies on the engine is MPG and econometer, but I'm sure steve has them working as he's the guy who makes the OBC correction circuit. :)
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
      Forget having an s54 forcing the e30 chassis to lug its massive weight around like a fat lard riding a tricycle. 265HP out of a N/A engine that weighs two 15lbs dumbells more than a stock m20 is...... Unbelievable...
      The M54 weighs less than the M20.
      Otherwise, I agree, light weight, especially in the front of a car is what makes a car fun, power is important too but an m54 already makes more than enough power, and really great low-rpm power with DISA too.
      Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

See the M54-S50-S52 dyno comparo a few posts back. I will say it as often as anyone cares to listen, the m54 makes TORQUE! It trumps the S motors up to around 4000 rpms and then runs out of breath.

For a daily-driven street car like mine it makes sense. The light nose is just delightful.

For a track car, I'd get an S50/S52/S54, no question.

and yes, my econo-gauge works perfectly!

Comment

That's some damn fine work you've done there sir!

I've always wondered what it would be like to put my m54 from my e46 into my e30. I've got the ESS TS2+ supercharger on the m54...

Dyno from ESS:

Nürburgring info

Comment

Theres a m54 engine with no reported problems for sale for 500, thoughts?

"Came here expecting rape van, left disappointed."
            sigpicMy Project!

Official North Texas Bimmers Club E30 Representative

www.BimmerAlliance.net

"If you have questions about events or need help in the DFW area don't be afraid to contact me."

Comment

Originally posted by bigdrick323 View Post
              thoughts?
              I'd like a supercharger on my M54!

(and that's a good price for that motor if it's a 3.0)

Comment

Hoveringuy, thanks again for making such a thread. So with some research on e46fanatics it seems like these guys get the ati damper, s54 chain tensioner, and shrick cams to subdue the harmonics considerably. I don't have the time to read through the entire thread so if you don't mind answering this possibly for the millionth time; have you done all of these for your engine and what other aftermarket parts or oem upgrades do you suggest to be able to increase high rpm reliability?

This engine seems like it's the perfect upgrade. Perhaps you might get easily too used to the HP numbers it cranks out but the smile factor achieved from the weight savings in the front would probably solve that issue. After all that's the entire point of the e30 no!? ;) Inspiring stuff the say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
                  it seems like these guys get the ati damper, s54 chain tensioner, and shrick cams to subdue the harmonics considerably.
                  The ATI damper is really nice. It's designed differently in how it drives the accesories which lets it really do its job. I don't think anybody understands exactly where the harmonics are coming from, except there's clear evidence in broken oil pump shafts that sustained revs somewhere over 6000 are bad.

I don't have any mods besides ZHP cams (which are very mild) and have my rev limiter set to 6200. My power starts to drop over 6000 so the only reason to guard against harmonics would be in company with the Shrick cams which move peak power to the right.

I've always thought if you were really interested in reliable, high-RPM power then you're better off just getting an S54...

Comment

I honestly don't like the idea of an s54 in an e30 for the weight alone. I'm familiar with the arguments against that perspective but I'd ideally I'd rather have the numbers from an m54 for a four banger but the m54 will do ;)

Being able to rev up to 6500 without a sweat would lessen some concern with this swap. Then again I don't know how it feels to drive an m54 e30 so judgement will have to wait :)

Are you saying the ATI damper is mainly worth it to counteract the added vibrations from the shrick cams? As in stock form the damper isn't necessary? Is the OPS problem from people who track these engines near 7k rpm or do engines seeing mainly DD also experience this? Or did I just misunderstand you lol.

Comment

I honestly don't like the idea of an s54 in an e30 for the weight alone. I'm familiar with the arguments against that perspective but I'd ideally I'd rather have the numbers from an m54 for a four banger but the m54 will do ;)

Being able to rev up to 6500 without a sweat would lessen some concern with this swap. Then again I don't know how it feels to drive an m54 e30 so judgement will have to wait :)

Are you saying the ATI damper is mainly worth it to counteract the added vibrations from the shrick cams? As in stock form the damper isn't necessary? Is the OPS problem from people who track these engines near 7k rpm or do engines seeing mainly DD also experience this? Or did I just misunderstand you lol.

I think it's mainly people that track their cars and sustain 7000 rpms. I don't think the harmonics have a chance to develop when the rpms are constantly rising and falling as in spirited street driving, but the damage accumulates over time when the conditions are right. I haven't heard of many (if any..) street-driven motors sheering the shaft.

I hear that besides peace of mind the ATI damper makes the engine much smoother throughout the rev band so I think it would be worth it.

Comment

Major kudos in answering my questions.

Lovely to see these being in the same price category as s52's. Fantastic.

Comment

Major kudos in answering my questions.

Lovely to see these being in the same price category as s52's. Fantastic.
                          M54b30 is much more common than S52: It should be more avail and less money than a S52b32 setup-

M54b30:

e39 530i
                          e46 330i

Not a high rpm engine for those on a budget; its costs to modd up to race spec are high. S54 drop in as is would be the high RPM engine of choice - the weight can be handled with suspension tuning.
                          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

There isn't any mystery where the harmonics come from at all...its just basic math. The rod ratio using the S52b32/S54b30 crank with 135mm rods is the major cause, its one of the worst options available from BMW actually.

The issue with the oil pump shaft/oil pump nut is from sustained use at high RPM. If you aren't constantly at the top of the rev range you shouldnt have issues with factory hardware.

I am not sure why there keeps being mention of cams in regard to harmonics of the bottom end, its not a contributing factor in any significant way.

Here is some of the data for the M54 bottom end (S54 for comparison). You mainly want to minimise the amplitude of the orders, and you want the acceleration trace to have a flat top instead of a dip. The dip signifies the piston accelerating, decelerating, accelerating again and decelerating in a short time period. Compare that to a smooth motion and its easy to see why the crank does not like this!

-Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
                              There isn't any mystery where the harmonics come from at all...its just basic math. The rod ratio using the S52b32/S54b30 crank with 135mm rods is the major cause, its one of the worst options available from BMW actually.

The issue with the oil pump shaft/oil pump nut is from sustained use at high RPM. If you aren't constantly at the top of the rev range you shouldnt have issues with factory hardware.

I am not sure why there keeps being mention of cams in regard to harmonics of the bottom end, its not a contributing factor in any significant way.

Here is some of the data for the M54 bottom end (S54 for comparison). You mainly want to minimise the amplitude of the orders, and you want the acceleration trace to have a flat top instead of a dip. The dip signifies the piston accelerating, decelerating, accelerating again and decelerating in a short time period. Compare that to a smooth motion and its easy to see why the crank does not like this!

From your posted charts the s54 engine has higher velocities and stresses it seems.

What makes it a fair comparison? M54 and s54 are not in the same league of construction although both crankshafts are forged.

Ive spun s54 happily to 8400 rpm and it never had issues with harmonics or oil pump.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
                              OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post

if that were the only reason, the S54, S50 and S52 would all have crank harmonic issues - but they don't.

The reality is, aluminum blocks are weaker. The cranks, rods and pistons may be of the same design and material, but the aluminum block is what allows the additional flexure in the crank.

as far as cams, they are being mentioned because typically they allow you to make more power at a higher RPM, which doesn't work if the bottom end grenades above ~6200.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X