S54 US Header Fitment Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 US Header Fitment Question

Hi everyone. I am thinking of starting an S54 swap project and was looking on information on header fitment. Being in California with our annoying emissions laws, I was planning on trying to use the US Headers so that I can make my engine swap 100% legal to drive here. I have found posts on this forum and others that the US Headers don't fit when doing the swap, however no one ever specifies where the clearance issue occurs when trying to use the OEM US catted headers (i.e. subframe, firewall, etc.). Although it would be much easier for me to just use Euro or Ebay headers for the swap, I've already set in my mind that I want to go down the OEM path. If it means that I would have to cut the firewall or modify the subframe, I would be willing to do that. Any additional information about the US Header clearance issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Haven't looked in to it, but from reading in the past I'm pretty sure it's the cataylsts that interfere, and since you can't move them you can't use them. My guess would be that the rearmost one hits the firewall and chassis rail.

Comment

Yeah I believe the issue is with either the subframe or firewall. Best option might be to use euro cats, which should fit in there. I used a stock m3 section 1 on mine.

Be aware that the #6 cylinder primary tube on euro style headers snakes back a little behind the head and is very very close to the firewall. I'm in this situation now and I may switch to different headers because of it.

Comment

Doubtful that you can use Euro headers on a CA legal swap.

Comment

Can they go under the car?

I'm smog ignorant.

I'm sure a few S54 cali E30 people will chime in soon.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            Doubtful that you can use Euro headers on a CA legal swap.
            Correct, hence why you will most likely never see a properly BAR'd S54 in Cali. From intake to exhaust must remain stock. However many refs have allowances for AFTER the cats... From there one would also need the DTML stuff in the gas tank, and the SAP. Then of course, the ECU cannot be modified, however GPeterson figured out the CRC check but never released it such that the CARB cannot detect with their tools that the ECU has been modified.

Comment

There is not enough room for the stock headers because the Cats on the S54 are pretty damn big and they interfere with the subframe, you cant cut it or modify it enough to fit. It would have to be an entire redesign and even then I dont think the suspension geometry would work.

My stattus gruppe headers with no Cats, are really close and I only have a tube subframe.

Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Working...
              X