Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N52 -> Into Touring /// What have I done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shame this will be hidden inside, such a work of art!

Also, no power steering?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.jpg Views:	0 Size:	181.9 KB ID:	10097202
    Last edited by hoveringuy; 06-19-2023, 11:52 AM.

Comment

It really is a shame, it's gorgeous.

Power steering pump goes on soon. It's sitting on a shelf. Need to get a new belt that will work with that, and new tensioner.

Not sure if I want to get a new waterpump now, but if I do thermostat, and waterpump, it is probably smart considering I have no idea if they are original (100k mile motor).
      Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

My gosh that oil pan and stuff looks super trick! This is going to be way cool.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
          Power steering pump goes on soon.
          Stock E90 pressure is too much for the E30, it's meant for the heavier car. I dropped the pressure regulator of a Porsche Cayman pump in and it feels much, much better. (mid-engine Cayman has less weight on the front axle, probably similar to the E30, actually...)

It's like a 5 minute swap but you'll need to grab a used Cayman pump to get it. Also incredibly easy with the pump installed so don't sweat it too much.

Comment

Random update: The correct plate (for manual transmissions) between the engine and transmission is going to take 4-6 weeks to ship. Apparently not in stock anywhere in the USA. Bummer.

I yanked the m40 to not have month long waits on parts... .

Oh well, this should be a one time thing.

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post

Stock E90 pressure is too much for the E30, it's meant for the heavier car. I dropped the pressure regulator of a Porsche Cayman pump in and it feels much, much better. (mid-engine Cayman has less weight on the front axle, probably similar to the E30, actually...)

It's like a 5 minute swap but you'll need to grab a used Cayman pump to get it. Also incredibly easy with the pump installed so don't sweat it too much.

​Noted. Who knows, maybe I'll end up with electric P/S like someone...
            Last edited by DEV0 E30; 06-21-2023, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
              Random update: The correct plate (for manual transmissions) between the engine and transmission is going to take 4-6 weeks to ship. Apparently not in stock anywhere in the USA. Bummer.

I yanked the m40 to not have month long waits on parts... .
              Waiting on parts is the worst.
              You can only plan so much ahead of time, there will always be those parts that sneak up on you.

Comment

Things have been slow on the car, other life and projects happening.

A few weeks back, I started spending my weekend mornings on minor updates to the garage, so it isn't absolutely miserable in there.

==========================

My previous garage was very similar, with the same orientation - garage being furthest to the west, and garage door opens to the north.

Old house I had blew in cellulose above, and had insulation in the walls already, and the house already had an insulated garage door.

I threw in a window AC unit, and did an epoxy flooring. I could get it chilly in there, and worked well.

​==========================​

This house, while it is not our forever house, for the next few years... I need to not break a sweat being in there for 30 seconds... and if I'm in there for hours, not be dying.

I foolishly thought the parking pad/slab was going to be where I got this project done when the weather was nice, but now that will be for other uses.

So followed a similar plan like my old house. Blew in cellulose, 16"+ worth above garage to match the cellulose already above the main living space.

The west wall was just 2x4 studs before. So I put in R13 fiberglass batts, drywalled, taped, mudded, and got a fresh coat of exterior paint, which will hold up better.

I would prefer to do much more insulating and building science techniques, but I have to remind myself, this isn't forever house, so I've followed the code and what I call, shitty standards for AZ.

Garage door will get insulated panels soon, then will get it's spring and motor adjusted as it will be heavier, getting it inspected today by a local company.

New mini-split AC is here and in a week or two it will be operational. Separate circuit for just it is done with AC disconnect is all in place.

The mini-split wasn't that much more than a wall unit (which are more expensive than window units) - but the efficiency is worth it in my mind.

When it comes time to sell this house, the mini split will be a feature to all, where window shakers can be eyesores to some.
                Last edited by DEV0 E30; 08-21-2023, 08:11 AM.

Comment

I have a better appreciation for the genius of that Porsche pickup now.

In fabricating my "pan, version 2.0", I find that the desired place for the pickup "X" is directly under the inlet to the oil pump, and partially blocked by that long extension. The Porsche pickup is a very elegant solution!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	10102182

Comment

Bump. Did you get that mini-split installed last year?

Originally posted by whysimon
                    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Good bump Fred. In true me fashion... nah. I haven't. Good friend who is my go-to AC guy had a terrible accident at work, and I haven't contacted him about helping for obvious reasons, I am going to see about someone else doing the refrigerant part.

Along with all the other life changes happening, I've really sucked at getting into the garage to do anything but that's ok, other things are more of a priority.

I'm going to give the electric power steering column thang a try. I'll either keep the Z3 rack I have, and block off the holes on the rack, or use the (manual) Z4 rack that is coming.

Shoulda just bought a z4? Maybe. lol.

Got some more parts coming, and of course I'll realize I need more.

I want to do an inventory on what I have on the engine and what else I'm going to replace on it, then it needs to go in and free up some space soon.

Comment

That pan is great. Where did you get all those plugs for the hoses and ports on the head?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Those came with the engine when it was shipped to me. I wish I could say I knew where they got them though.

Comment

Dang. I have... four... N52 cores laying around now, it would be nice to seal them up.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

The caps are called "tapered caps". I think one of the most commonly known manufacturers is Caplugs Inc. You can buy them in smaller quantities from McMaster.

Originally posted by whysimon
                              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                              X