No announcement yet.

24V Swap Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slowly getting some work done on the car, cleaning the engine bay before the engine goes in. Sort of stuck at rebuilding the front axles, I feel like a second person is going to be pretty necessary. I had my front diff rebuilt using the RSX part that recently became available. I also patched a hole in my passenger floor board with some POR15, and sourced my dream steering wheel

Comment

Rebuilt the front axles last night and I think I'm able to start reassembly now!

Comment

Mated the front diff to the oil pan, and the little arm that is on the passenger's side of the front axle passthrough after replacing the bearing inside. Test-fit the headers with the engine on the stand and talked to the guy at Classic Daily about dip-stick fit. It looks like I'll need to bend the dipstick tube once the engine is in the car. He also flagged that I'm using the M8 bolts with the sleeved mounts since the S50 uses M8 mounting hw on the mount arms. He states that the M8s will shear and that I should just drill and tap the block.

Does anyone have any insight to why they would shear or what could prevent them from shearing? The original mount arms on E36 are a different design than the E30 mount arms, and I think that there is also less space between the bolt head and the block on E36, which makes for a shorter lever to stress? If I were to go from a metric grade 10.9 to a metric grade 12.9 bolt should that account for the decreased bolt diameter enough? Apparently Aircraft grade bolts exist that have higher shear strength that I can look for, but all of my current searches are finding imperial thread pitch only. Does anyone know of automotive bolts in a metric thread pitch that can satisfy this need, or am I going to have to drill and tap my engine block?

Comment

What does the E34 525ix use?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
            What does the E34 525ix use?
            It also uses M8 mounting hw, but like the E36, the length of the bolts are much shorter

Comment

Finally back in town after travelling for work 6 weeks. Have the drill and tap, and should be completing the drilling Friday

Comment

Lets gooo!! This is the thread that is keeping me on r3v!

Comment

I missed your thread, didn't realize you were a local. Message me if you'd like to meet up, trying to get our local E30 people to something or maybe a drive when it cools down more, or even just coordinate us getting to an already scheduled cars and coffee thing.
                  Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                    I missed your thread, didn't realize you were a local. Message me if you'd like to meet up, trying to get our local E30 people to something or maybe a drive when it cools down more, or even just coordinate us getting to an already scheduled cars and coffee thing.
                    For sure, I'm hoping to have the car done by EOY if possible, and I'll be going to most of the fourtillfour shakedowns once the weather cools down. Just gave you a follow on instagram

Comment

Originally posted by dylhaus View Post

For sure, I'm hoping to have the car done by EOY if possible, and I'll be going to most of the fourtillfour shakedowns once the weather cools down. Just gave you a follow on instagram
                      Sounds good, and same!
                      Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Almost finished with drilling and tapping. I forgot to buy a finishing tap to square up the ends of the holes, so I'll complete it this week.

Next steps will be to install the clutch and flywheel, install the headers, and do fluids for transmission, diffs, and transfer case. Then I can lower the engine into the bay onto the subframe and attach the transmission before lifting the assembly up and bolting the subframe to the frame and beginning reassembly. There is a chance I have to cut the headers in case they interfere, but they were the cheapo ebay headers that get recommended for 24v swapped RWD E30s, so the degrees gained from using the ix motor mount arms might provide some extra clearance?

Comment

Engine mount arms installed with M10 hardware

Comment

Started labeling the wiring harness yesterday

Comment

Purchased the rest of the engine accessories yesterday while I'm in Dallas again for work. Additionally I cancelled the mid pipe I ordered from ECS since they sent me the wrong part twice, didn't send a part because it was damaged, and then gave me another 2 month lead time for the part to arrive. I ended up ordering direct from supersprint and it arrived within about a week. I have 6 days off once I get back, so I'll finish assembly on the engine, and try to get it into the car

Comment

Heading back out for a work trip this weekend but wanted to get the engine in the bay and on the subframe. Once I return, I'll mate the clutch/flywheel and then the transmission and bring those up to secure them. I need to press in the transfer case bushing and that seems sort of challenging

Comment

Working...
                                X