Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325ix - Oil pan replacement for JB-welded oil drain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325ix - Oil pan replacement for JB-welded oil drain?

Hey guys, I changed the oil on the 325ix and it leaked it all out shortly after. The oil pan drain seems to be JB welded in and is now spinning with minimal effort. Is the main option here to replace the oil pan? I could see trying to weld the oil pan too but that could actually be more expensive with less certain result. Any advice would be appreciated. Is the 325ix pan the same as the standard pan?

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_177794.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	10105369

1989 BMW 325ix, Virginia

325ix one is unique as doesn't the drive shafts shafts go through it?

Hard to see what I'm looking at there, can you put the next size up sump plug in? You'd want to remove the sump it to do this properly. and you might want to find someone who can do this, machine shop etc.

Welding cast aluminum is not easy, but not impossible. if you go down that route you really want to find someone who knows what they are doing, or it will crack and leak again pretty quick.

If you can find another pan id be going that route, but there are options as outlined above, but you want to find someone who knows what they are doing.

Comment

Thanks, e30davie, you got me thinking. I'm going to wire brush off the epoxy and get a better look at what is going on. Could possibly use a timesert or a piggyback bolt for this.

I guess that picture is super small huh? I uploaded it to r3v but it made it tiny.
      1989 BMW 325ix, Virginia

Comment

Each to their own but i've never had much luck with insert threads or any of those insitue fixes. Especially on a sump plug that is going to be removed potentially once or twice a year. but some people do have success. in saying that, removing the sump on an IX looks like a completely pain in the ass. if you can get it to work.....would be significantly easier.

but yer, clean it all up and see what's going on.

Spinning bolt is not good at all. No thread left.

Comment

The threads are M12x1.5mm. I would look for a M14x1.5 thread repair kit.
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

i'd try a repair first. replacing a pan on an ix is a big job.

Comment

I have oil pans if you go that route - Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X