Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lets get some iX mudflaps made. Who can help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well ours aren't "part" scanners anyway. They're meant for scanning construction sites. You could scan parts too (pin it to a wall, crank up the resolution), but somebody would have to stitch the front and backsides together, and then generate a printable model or mold from that.

I just don't see them letting me borrow a $25,000 piece of equipment to work on some car stuff, lol. I can ask, but maybe somebody else has access to one..
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If you can get the scans I can clean them up. Plenty of places will make rubber molds from them
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

if you have more money than sense.. here's a set in package never used

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I've never seen a set in the flesh... is it really that hard just to model them?

Comment

We have a CMM measuring machine at work. It would be possible to trace an existing one and reverse engineer it although it will take a few hours to measure and draw these in CAD.
            1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
            1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I just purchased a new/ still in packaging set of front flaps solely with the intent to reproduce. I will make a separate thread on this when I have a plan and people on board that can make it happen.
              Build Thread
              https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
              Parts Thread
              https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                We have a CMM measuring machine at work. It would be possible to trace an existing one and reverse engineer it although it will take a few hours to measure and draw these in CAD.
                Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
                I just purchased a new/ still in packaging set of front flaps solely with the intent to reproduce. I will make a separate thread on this when I have a plan and people on board that can make it happen.
                I think if you guys get together and developed a model, it would be a LOT easier to get some progress than if the flaps sat on a shelf.

ETA: Hell, I have access to a few CMMs, but I'm not nearly proficient enough to make models. I could probably have the guy who runs the CMM do it, but I'd have to pay him for something this involved.

Comment

Moving this over from parts section. Thought it might come in handy for the metal fab and small parts list...

I concur, The E30 rear mudflaps are all the the same. Just for quick reference I will post realoem iX mud flap page and the 3 pages of instruction that comes with the part from OG

The mud flaps are one thing but the mounting hardware is another, so fabrication is going to require metal work as well. I can’t remember....Maybe the metal brackets for the front are the same as the rwd e30.?

I tried some on my ix years ago, and IMHO, the mud flaps are just another spot to collect dirt, sand, and salt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B9BF1322-0B44-424C-9BDA-CAA4368C324E.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	7200683

Name:	131985F5-866C-40AD-8533-8EA1029667A5.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	7200684

Name:	67AFB752-AD81-4896-AECD-F18C4E57B45E.jpg
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	7200685

Name:	FA076C8C-ECB2-44B4-8F0A-78AD975C0FBD.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	7200686

Realoem E30 rear flap
                  RESTART

Comment

Did they make late model flaps for the iX? If so, anyone have a part number?
                    My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

yes, that's what this whole thread is about. ;)

we never had the early ix over here, but I'll bet theirs are NLA as well (the fronts).

The rears are the same as any late-E30.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The part number is listed as “up to 09/1987”. Doesn’t that mean they wouldn’t fit on a later year?
                        My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

I believe that’s correct. There’s a chrome euro bumper version of the IX that preceded the version imported to the US.. it has the side skirts with the lines on it. @downforce22 has one

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

i wish I had euro bumpers on my iX so I could put the Alpina rear mudflaps on. I'm almost tempted to order a set and see if I can modify it to work, but the iX arches will be the issue I think.
                            www.instagram.com/snwmble
                            #snwmble

Current:
                            '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                            '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                            '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                            '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                            '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                            '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                            '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                            '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
                              i wish I had euro bumpers on my iX so I could put the Alpina rear mudflaps on. I'm almost tempted to order a set and see if I can modify it to work, but the iX arches will be the issue I think.
                              Alpina mudfaps? Do you have any pictures of these? Never heard of those before
                              1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                              1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Alright guys, I have made my first article off of my newly made mold made for late model ix's. Don't get too excited, it's going to be at least a month or two before I can ship anything out, most likely 2-3 since I haven't even decided how I'm going to reproduce the hardware yet and I have a full time job. I'll start a new thread when I'm more finalized.

A couple of questions that came out of inspecting the first part that came out of the mold, speak up if you have an opinion about any of these, I cannot and will not cater to the silent.

1. How important to you guys is it that the parts are "perfect". The mud flaps I am making the mold out of are not perfect. It was from a car that used it for what seems like quite a few years. It looks pretty good from the front (BMW side), but the back surface is rough when you run your fingers over it. I think still think it's going to be pretty decent looking, but if you want to put these flaps on your dining room table to inspect them, you're going to be able to see some imperfections. Once this thing fully cures, I'll remove the flashing and take some better pictures after seeing how tough this material actually is.

2. Is there any market for people to buy these without hardware?

3. I think I might end up designing my own hardware that will probably be a little ghetto looking instead of reproducing the BMW hardware exactly. If it does a good job of holding down the mudflap and saves $150 off the price, would that be appealing or would more people prefer OEM style hardware?

4. No idea on pricing yet, esp not with the hardware being up in the air. But I am hoping you guys are still interested in these things cuz its costing a pretty penny to get everything set up and I've only made one mold and so far, I haven't involved outside vendors. The last real flaps were sold for $700 so I'm thinking if I can get these under half of that, it's a win, but I know the market for $300+ mud flaps is going to be pretty light. I'm trying really hard to keep the prices down, but there's a reason that companies like Garagistic who need to actually make money don't pick up this project.
                                Last edited by ghatid; 02-17-2019, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X