X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    I wish I'd seen this thread sooner.

I have the U-jointed front driveshaft figured out... it's actually quite easy. Don't worry about alignment.

The 4 bolt flange used on the E46 FRONT diff is the SAME pattern as the 4 bolt flange used on the older REAR diffs. That means that the Jags That Run U-joint yoke made for the BMW 4 bolt flange can bolt right up to the E46 front diff input flange. If you use that flange on the E53 diff, then you can build a u-jointed driveshaft very easily using 1310 series U-joints.

I would think that people would be interested in adapting the E30 viscous coupling to the E34 T-case to allow that driveline to be used without the electronics.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    I dont thinks that will work with any 525ix parts though, like the transfercase. Its shifted more to the drivers side. Cant use 525ix front driveshaft or cv shafts either.
    Plan is custom shaft and cvs, 6 speed E90 xi box with a atc 300 tc. But i will try out the E34 parts first couse its alot easier :)

Leave a comment:

• 1E30iX2NV
    replied
    so i have an e30 ix and iam looking for a to manual swap ....do you have e30 ix parts ?

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    I dont thinks that will work with any 525ix parts though, like the transfercase. Its shifted more to the drivers side. Cant use 525ix front driveshaft or cv shafts either.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    what are you going to mount it to? the ring and pinion won't fit inside the E34 diff, and you can't bolt it to the oil pan either. :(
    Hoping it will work with a X5 M54 pan :)

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    what are you going to mount it to? the ring and pinion won't fit inside the E34 diff, and you can't bolt it to the oil pan either. :(

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Just picked up a X5 E53 3.07 front diff, not sure if im going to use it yet but they are rare so i got it anyway :) Should be nice mated to a 6 speed, great top speed :)

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    it would be really cool to take an e34 xfer case apart and compare the locking device and other internal components to an e30's.

pretty sure the e34 has an electrical plug on the outside of the housing that actuates the coupling magnetically.

it would be a lot to expect, but i wonder if parts could be swapped around between the two cases in order to perhaps make the e30 case stronger.
    Yes it has a two pin connector on the TC :)

Leave a comment:

• 88e30ix
    replied
    Originally posted by DC2NoVA View Post
    same here :(
    Here too!

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    I've seen a couple pictures of the E34 t-case opened up - I don't think you can use any of the internals. It's similar in construction but things are a little bit larger.

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    it would be really cool to take an e34 xfer case apart and compare the locking device and other internal components to an e30's.

pretty sure the e34 has an electrical plug on the outside of the housing that actuates the coupling magnetically.

it would be a lot to expect, but i wonder if parts could be swapped around between the two cases in order to perhaps make the e30 case stronger.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    E30

as far as I can tell, the E34 TC isn't really that great - I don't believe the locking mechanism can vary the %, it's either on or off. but, I don't know that for certain, few have tried it.

also want to keep things pretty much bolt on which is possible with the E30 TC, and it's plenty strong enough.

it's also impossible to buy parts to rebuild an E34 TC - BMW doesn't sell any internals. I can get a chain and bearings locally for the E30 TC. it's a bit ironic if you think about it.

E34 may make more sense if you're in Europe and you can get them easily. here, it makes a lot less sense.
    Yeah theres not much info on the E34 one.
    I will test it and see how it works, i have a dialog with ZF but they dont seem to be willing to share info :P

You can get new chain etc for it but its pricey..

Yes the E30 TC holds for lots of power!

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    i determined the engine placement by measuring the distance from the firewall to the engine mount holes on the sub frame of my parts car. i then measured from the motor mount arms placed on my junk m50 to the back of the head. there is about 1" of interference between the two.

the diff is indeed further forward an inch so that is a good point. the s52 is already tight against the firewall in my rwd car. it rubs slightly on the firewall insulation. i guess the easiest way to make it fit the ix would be to remove the foam insulation off the firewall and "adjust" it a little. that is something i would hope to avoid though.

i wonder if it could be done so the engine is moved back only 1/2" or so? the biggest problem with the engine being forward is that the front axles MAY have a clearance problem with the rearmost ears on the subframe. e30 m3 front control arm bushings would make this problem worse. otherwise, having the engine forward a bit more is really no big deal.

which trans did you decide to go with? getrag or the zf? seems like i remember recently that you were considering the getrag again?
    yeah, I don't know. the M20 is already tight against the firewall on the stock ix. Moving the engine forward a smidge might work out fine, but I'm going to base everything on the position of the original transmission/transfercase to the subframe. basically the bellhousing face will be in the same place it is on the M20.

I think the engine should fit. I'll have the entire thing assembled with the subframe so I should be able to see any interference issues ahead of time. I'm not really sure I read you on the CV shaft clearance issues though - I'd think a half inch forward or backward wouldn't make much difference? Again, having it all mocked up ahead of time will be the key! :)

I'll be using a getrag 260. already purchased part of it, still need to find a core ix transmission to build one that will work with the 24v engine angle.

the ZF ironically is much more expensive, plus I'd have to come up with some sort of custom fabricated adapter plate for the transfercase. I just don't have time for stuff like that.

gearing isn't ideal either way - too short with the ZF and too long with the getrag. I'm hoping it'll be easier to build a higher ratio front diff than it was to build a lower ratio version, as higher ratio ring and pinions for the type 168 are much more common. I'm thinking 3.64 or 3.73. also, I believe the VC in my current rear diff is shot. :(

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    E30

as far as I can tell, the E34 TC isn't really that great - I don't believe the locking mechanism can vary the %, it's either on or off. but, I don't know that for certain, few have tried it.

also want to keep things pretty much bolt on which is possible with the E30 TC, and it's plenty strong enough.

it's also impossible to buy parts to rebuild an E34 TC - BMW doesn't sell any internals. I can get a chain and bearings locally for the E30 TC. it's a bit ironic if you think about it.

E34 may make more sense if you're in Europe and you can get them easily. here, it makes a lot less sense.
    Last edited by nando; 09-03-2013, 08:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    I think your pictures were already dead by the time I first saw your thread :(

anyway, I'd forgot you mentioned the E34 arms. I bought them some time ago, probably when you suggested them.

But, as far as the position - I thought we had determined that the diff was possibly 1" further forward on the E34 oil pan than the E30? thus, where you figured the mounts should be would be 1" off as well?

just laying it on the floor things seemed to fit pretty well, but I want to have my transmission and transfercase built first so I can really nail down the correct position for the engine. Some sort of adapter plates may be needed like you say, but there's not much point in thinking about it until I know where I want the engine to be. :)

I need to find a chain, front output sprocket and order a seal kit to build one of my spare transfercases soon..
    Are you going to use E30 or E34 TC?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X