Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some brake/rotors and exhaust advice

My 89 ix needs some upgrades.

my rotors are not in good condition, looking to upgrade them all around soon, that being said I will also need some brake pads. I'm thinking about something larger for better stopping power.

I also need to replace my exhaust system. Dont want to replace it with other stock, want to add some performance features...nothing loud tho. What about Ansa? seen it on bluntech.

ansa is pretty mild as long as you leave the cats an resonators. i also have a rather large magnaflow with a nice chrome tip im selling you could adapt. i had it on my turbo IX and it was quieet for sure. and i had NO cats or resonators. its just a large muffler meant to give great flow, while keeping the sound extremely mellow.

Comment

what kind of power do you have?

do you track the car? if not there's not really going to be much point, other than costing a lot of money - also your e-brake won't work any longer if you use a RWD brake kit.

one benefit would be lighter unsprung mass. I don't know if anyone makes an ix-specific rear brake kit - I doubt it. it might make more sense to swap to a RWD trailing arm, but then you're going to be forced to use a spacer to make up the difference.

if I were you, I'd just replace everything with new stock parts and use an aggressive pad instead. if you want to get crazy order rear disks from an ix touring, they're vented.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Like Nando said, unless you have 250+hp or do endurance racing, there is no point in upgrading the brakes. I just replaced the my iX's brakes with stock zimmerman rotors and textar pads and was shocked at how good they are.

As for exhaust, unless you go straight pipes, I don't think there is enough potential gain there to be worth any "upgrade" unless you just want it to be louder.

In my opinion, if this is your daily and presently stock, the best bang for your buck is going to be MarkD's 93 octane chip and replacing the air filter, spark plugs, and rebuilding injectors.

Comment

Another vote for Zimmermann blanks. I run pbr pads though, stops like the dickens
          - Josh
          1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
          Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Bavauto has what they call "Ultimate" rotors with cool carbon pad. Rotors are drilled and slotted. Not bad, I like em'
            [/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Comment

+2 on Zimmerman blanks. I run those. I'm currently running EBC Green stuff pads, since I was trying to reduce the massive amts of brake dust I was getting w/ the OEM pads....so far they are ok for everyday use. Not that much bite, and squeal a bit. I guess thats the trade off.
              www.instagram.com/snwmble
              #snwmble

Current:
              '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
              '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
              '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
              '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
              '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
              '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
              '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
              '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by z122643 View Post
                Bavauto has what they call "Ultimate" rotors with cool carbon pad. Rotors are drilled and slotted. Not bad, I like em'
                Bavauto markets this sort of package to hard parkers. Braking is about friction, you don't want drilled and slotted rotors with modern pads which don't need to release gases.

Comment

oh and i had Ansa on my last iX. Great sound, priced right....only gripe is they have a tendency to rust a lot faster than the stainless steel ones.

If i were to get a new exhaust now, I'd spring for the Rogue Engineering M20 one. The fitment, look & sound is awesome!
                  www.instagram.com/snwmble
                  #snwmble

Current:
                  '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                  '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                  '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                  '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                  '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                  '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                  '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                  '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

E87 hub +5,5mm spacer between bearing and hub + e36 325i rotor.. move the front calipers to rear and buy e32 calipers and e32 25mm master cylinder.. +++
                    Also found on Facebook - Juuso Tero, Tampere
                    https://www.facebook.com/JuusosGarage

Comment

I have a set of brembo blanks up front, with hawk hp+ that came off my iS. They haven't started to squeal yet. Rears are still whatever was on the car when I bought it.
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by jute91 View Post
                        E87 hub +5,5mm spacer between bearing and hub + e36 325i rotor.. move the front calipers to rear and buy e32 calipers and e32 25mm master cylinder.. +++
                        Explain. What does this do for me?
                        - Josh
                        1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                        Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Originally posted by Cletonius View Post
                          Explain. What does this do for me?
                          Well this is little bigger swap.

Only hub+rotor swap gives you 283mm rotors.

Here is mine.

With e87 hub you are able to use low offset rims at the back( I'm running 10x17 et 15) For the front it just make track little wider ( have try to think some other options for it but this will do the job for a while)

What I am going to do is that fitting front disc to rear rotors hub so i could get thicker rotor + still working hand brake. Then Im going to move front calipers to rear axle ( Wider pads) and fitting the e32 calipers ( 4-piston and light) to front. Of course when your calipers have now more pistons you need to uppgrade your master cylinder. e30 ix has 20mm master cylinder when e32 has 25mm ( will bolt on)

Comment

but if you want to keep that option, i just prefer you could try that master cylinder swap and some vented rotors. heard that swapping that master cylinder is great uppgrade to do..

Comment

Originally posted by imwhyteyo View Post
                              ansa is pretty mild as long as you leave the cats an resonators. i also have a rather large magnaflow with a nice chrome tip im selling you could adapt. i had it on my turbo IX and it was quieet for sure. and i had NO cats or resonators. its just a large muffler meant to give great flow, while keeping the sound extremely mellow.
                              I want it to sound a little aggressive but not too loud that its disturbing. I'll pm u about the Magnaflow

Comment

Working...
                              X