Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah the M54 got steel sleeves as well but its basically a M50 which is pretty old now :P It would certainly be cool with a N54!

If the info I read is correct the N52 doesn't have sleeves?
    Its like a inner aluminum piece with a magnesium outer shell. Pretty cool but might not like high boost :S
    E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
    E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Yes, everything on the n52 is optimized for lightness an N/A efficiency. Even the cams are hollow!

The supercharger is putting down 280whp i think? It's limited by the injector size & fuel pump.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The cams are cool :)

OK is that the highest HP you've seen from a N52?
        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Ok, now I kind of want a n52. I was gonna drop a s54 into the z3 someday, maybe I'll just do a n52 instead (if someone can figure out the wiring). Nando do you happen to know the n52's weight? I'm curious to how much lighter it is compared to a m54.
          My Garage
          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

wiring is just wiring. it's not a big deal.

there's an official BMW weights thread here somewhere, but if you google search for "N52 weight" you'll find it. It's less than an M54 and should be less than an M20. I'll be running a lightweight single mass flywheel, 240mm M5 clutch, and no A/C. I'd like to weigh my m20 and the n52 to get a before/after - 20-40lbs can be a pretty dramatic feel to the front end!

it won't really work with the E34 parts though. the oil pans for the N52 are different so it will definitely need to be custom - the diff is like like 4" further forward than the E30. :(
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Shits fired up! :)

E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Nice 3-way button :)

E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Dude that's cool. E34 tc? You using autronic to run it?
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    Dude that's cool. E34 tc? You using autronic to run it?
                    Yes and yes :)
                    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Thats my ultimate dream... the ability to switch from 2wd to 4wd. Very excited for you!

Comment

I'd be curious to know more about how you wired the switch. Is it as simple as powering the transfer case to lock it in 4WD or is there more to it than that?

Comment

He's controlling it with his standalone ECU, so I'd guess his switch is wired to that.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by iXguido View Post
                            Thats my ultimate dream... the ability to switch from 2wd to 4wd. Very excited for you!
                            Yeah me too, i want to get it on the road soon!! :)
                            Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                            I'd be curious to know more about how you wired the switch. Is it as simple as powering the transfer case to lock it in 4WD or is there more to it than that?
                            If my research and testing is correct, then yes just power it up!
                            Originally posted by nando View Post
                            He's controlling it with his standalone ECU, so I'd guess his switch is wired to that.
                            Correct, when in auto mode the Autronic ECU is controlling the lock according to my set preferences, when in 4wd its just constantly locked all the time when the engine is running. (goes back to rwd when engine is shut of)
                            rwd is simply unlocked TC at all times.
                            I even setup so that when the e-brake is pulled it immediately unlocks the TC :) Thought that could be handy. ;D
                            E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

That's freaking rad. I've wondered if I could just power the TC case to lock it. I'm also curious if wiring a switch up to the fuses that control everything will disable the "traction control". Never pulled the fuses to see what would happen.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                                That's freaking rad. I've wondered if I could just power the TC case to lock it. I'm also curious if wiring a switch up to the fuses that control everything will disable the "traction control". Never pulled the fuses to see what would happen.
                                You should be able to do so, remove/put a switch on th ABS fuse/relay :)
                                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Working...
                                X