X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sebbe
    replied
    Here is the manual as promised, only the german version. I will try to make a quick google translate version also. Ive only read some of it, but it seems the 525ix is a lot more sophisticated than i thought, the transfer case and rear differential is actually PWM controlled. Not on/off as i thought.
    Last edited by Sebbe; 06-14-2016, 10:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    E46 xi can work. Garagetastic can make a steering coupler for it, need to mod the subframe and bore out the struts to fit the larger E46 balljoints, which need to be shortened a little bit. Its a LOT faster than the E30 rack!

Leave a comment:

• stonea
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    Won't work - they are completely different.
    I figured, it was worth a shot

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Won't work - they are completely different.

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    never even thought to think of this. i used to have an m3 rack in addition to my extra ix racks that i have laying around.

Leave a comment:

• stonea
    replied
    Does anyone happen to know if the internals of a e30 M3 rack fit in a ix rack? I'm sure no one does and I kind of doubt it would work. If it did, I know the cost vs benefit wouldn't equal out, but I've just been thinking about it recently.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Originally posted by Sebbe View Post
    Maybe i can make the right axle fit by shortening the carrier bolted to the sump? As long as the total axle lenght is almost the same. The left E46 axle should be 605mm total lenght and right 926mm. Im going to measure the E34 axles tomorow. The track width is very similar, so im guessing axles will be close as well.
    As everyone else said, it won't work that way.

As I said in the first post of this thread, you need to keep the FDA (Front Drive Assembly) from whatever application you choose together. If you use an E34 pan, then you need to use an E34 oil pump, pickup tube, diff, and inner CV joints. Same for E46, E53, etc.

You also need to keep the hub & bearing assemblies together... use the outer CV's, bearings and hubs from the same application.

Then have a company like Strange or Mark Williams make you custom shafts to connect the inners you selected to the outers you selected.

Or cut the original shafts apart and weld up tubular axles using mix/match ends.

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    ok, i guess i don't really see the point of doing so. the center axle shaft of an e34 doesn't have any moving parts so i don't see how it could go bad. the splined ends of e30, e34, and e46 axle shafts are all different so no parts will interchange. i am talking about the internal splined ends inside the cv joints.

this is kind of hard to explain, but the e46 shafts that i used to own(before i destroyed them by taking them all apart) seemed to be made of cheaper materials if that makes any sense. e30 and e34 units are milled on an expensive machine. the e46 part seems to have had the splines molded into the shaft. mine were refurbished units that were supposedly oem. the ball bearing set up in the axles are all completely different and all 3 axles have different size ball bearings in them. i see it as a total shit show.

it would be easier to score a one night stand with Keira Knightly including a long hard session of ass to mouth.
    Last edited by flyboyx; 06-13-2016, 02:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    even if you could get it made for free, this will not work either. the area where the axle spline meets the hub is COMPLETELY different.
    I meant custom middle shaft, not E46 :P My bad!

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
    Custom right axle with E34 inner part and CV with a E46 middle and outer might work. But then it will cost money so the benefits will probably none :P
    even if you could get it made for free, this will not work either. the area where the axle spline meets the hub is COMPLETELY different.
    Last edited by flyboyx; 06-13-2016, 01:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    that's part of why I decied to stick with E30ix parts. Still somewhat expensive, but they can still be rebuilt and they're much easier to find. Plus I have 2 sets already. :p

Leave a comment:

• Sebbe
    replied
    Ok, thanks for the replies, i guess this is a dead end then. My main motivation for this was cheaper cv axles, as oem 525ix axles are like 1500$ and the rebuild kit is discontinued.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Custom right axle with E34 inner part and CV with a E46 middle and outer might work. But then it will cost money so the benefits will probably none :P

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    yeah, the E34 and E46 axles are way different lengths. The E34 diff is in the same centerline as the E30 (which is why the CV shafts are nearly the same length/dimensions). The E46 diff centerline is shifted several inches to the drivers side - so the passenger side shaft is longer, while the drive side is shorter. It would only work if you were also using an E46 diff and oil pan, which would only work with a completely different subframe & front suspension, along with transfercase and transmission.

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    Originally posted by Sebbe View Post
    Maybe i can make the right axle fit by shortening the carrier bolted to the sump? As long as the total axle lenght is almost the same. The left E46 axle should be 605mm total lenght and right 926mm. Im going to measure the E34 axles tomorow. The track width is very similar, so im guessing axles will be close as well.
    good luck with that. they are not. you really should go back and read my post again. only the driver's side stub that goes into the diff is similar.

i could sit here in front of my computer for the better part of an hour describing perhaps twenty reasons why these axles won't work on an e34ix. however, i've said it twice now and that should probably suffice.

there is a long thread about this on e30tech. the pictures are gone, but the text is still there.

fwiw: e34 axles are a beefier version but about 90% the same as an e30 axle.

i guess it isn't for me to tell you that you are wasting your time. i can sit back, pop some popcorn and watch this not go anywhere just as well as anyone.

:popcorn:
    Last edited by flyboyx; 06-13-2016, 11:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X