X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eskie
    replied
    If you need any help with measurements or pictures from components from X-drive vehicles let me know. I work in parts at a BMW dealer and have 2 E30 iX's myself. One of which I'd love to swap a 24v into.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Finally have the .igs file with the engine mount tower CMM data. I imported into OnShape and did some work. A MUCH cleaner design results.

Leave a comment:

• notanawdix80
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    I got the pickup tube, thanks!

Lately, I've been staring at the engine that's been in my garage for the last 4 years, and really considering doing the initial swap without AWD. The RWD 24v pans clear the ix subframe easily without any modification required - and I could have this swap complete with only having to finish the engine, and not a rebuild of the whole AWD system.

I'm curious how it actually drives without the front wheels being powered. I've heard both good and bad but it's not done often. Also I would only do it until such time that I can finally get a AWD pan fabricated and rebuild my front CV shafts (which are in sad, sad shape).
    I drive my ix without the front power.

It's not horrible. I've never been to a track though.

I'm ready replacing worn out stuff from the suspension so probably i'm gonna test it on the track some day and i will tell you haha

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    I got the pickup tube, thanks!

Lately, I've been staring at the engine that's been in my garage for the last 4 years, and really considering doing the initial swap without AWD. The RWD 24v pans clear the ix subframe easily without any modification required - and I could have this swap complete with only having to finish the engine, and not a rebuild of the whole AWD system.

I'm curious how it actually drives without the front wheels being powered. I've heard both good and bad but it's not done often. Also I would only do it until such time that I can finally get a AWD pan fabricated and rebuild my front CV shafts (which are in sad, sad shape).

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    Does anyone need a spare iX oil pickup tube for modification? I have one on a motor that's going bye bye. PM me.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Well maybe we can figure something out. S/M5x swaps are easy, but BMW isn't building any more M5x engines and the N-series engines are the future.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    My plan honestly is to weld brackets right to the frame. For the N5x series engines, theres nothing obvious that works for the ix mount locations (and I have like 4 different sets). Then i can use the leftover space to adapt the E46 ix rack, which the E30 needs desperately...

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    I've been thinking about engine mount arms for a while. Of course I've been on this project for a while too, but who's counting?

The crossmember I've showed heretofore is a fit-check prototype. It's designed to support the M20 in the stock location to check for rack clearance to the sumps of 24V pans bolted up to the M20. As such, I've suspected that the engine mount locations are going to have to change for the operational (dare I say "production"?) version.

The iX uses mount points that are several inches further forward from the bellhousing mounting surface than the "conventional" RWD mounts for most RWD BMW's of the era.

The RWD E34 is the only body in which the M6x V8 and the M5x I6 use the same subframe mount points for the engine. However, those are conventional mounts so the arms wouldn't work... or I'd have to develop an elaborate structure to reach back to support them.

The AWD E34 arms actually go *BACK* from the conventional location instead of forward.

The E53 has a weird setup in which the right arm goes forward and the left arm goes back... so maybe I could use the right arm for both I6 and V8 but fab something up for the left for both apps.

I ultimately realized that I'll just have to re-use the M20 iX mount arms, but rotate the mounting surfaces around the crank centerline (lower the right mount and raise the left mount) to put the 24V engine at the right angle. After all, every iX to be swapped will have the M20 iX mount arms, so it makes a 24V swap that much simpler. I'm probably the only weirdo who will do the V8 swap, so I'll just fab the V8 mount arms (or maybe I actually can re-use the E53 right arm so I only have to fab a left?)

I'll do away with BMW's mount towers, as those actually complicate the crossmember design by requiring *THREE* mount locations per side instead of one. The plate the mount bolts to will then be 1/4" steel instead of the 3mm or so that BMW made their mount towers from, so it'll be able to handle powerplants like Nisse's with ease ;-)

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Thanks!
    I thought I'd be able to put something simple together from a few easy to cut pieces... no such luck. Thanks, BMW.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Nice work :)

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    And after even more work, I think I have the steering rack, tie rods, rack boots and engine mount towers deconflicted.
    Now I need to update the front bulkhead to free up dynamic clearance for the sway bar, but that can wait for another day.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Finally starting to look like something I can really use:

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied

One job taken care of... Now I have to make space for the tie rod ends

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    AAAAAAAND of course I realize basically as soon as I post the above image that I need to change it before the rack or mount towers will actually bolt up.

The rack mount holes are too far from the rear edge. I'm going to have to lower them and then add spacers.

Because of the way they're contoured, the mount towers won't sit flat on their intended locations, so I'll have to lower those and add spacers.

But since all the required parts except the spacers are already digitally built that shouldn't be too hard.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    PIMA:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X