Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, but mounting the E46 rack properly requires subframe modifications.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
      it probably is pretty close by my calculation. according to the measurements above, an e34 pan places the axle center line 1 1/4" forward of the e30 pan. this is perhaps a little over 30 cm. i think it appears that the dimension may be split-around half forward/half back. the question then: will an e46 rack clear the front diff?
      I will try to put the engine as far back as possible, probably have to give the firewall a little beating then hope the steering rack clears the diff :-)
      I think you mean 3 cm btw ;-)
      E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
      E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        Yes, but mounting the E46 rack properly requires subframe modifications.
        Cut and weld or just brackets/adapters? :-)
        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Cut and weld. An adapter will make oil pan clearance impossible.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            Cut and weld. An adapter will make oil pan clearance impossible.
            OK, never the easy way :-)
            E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

There are enough racing parts and circle track components out there that we can figure the rack out one way or another.

Comment

the rack will work. it's just not going to bolt on without some effort.

but yeah, you could go 100% aftermarket if you wanted. I only paid $100 for the E46 rack though. :)
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Does anybody have a 325ix and 525ix front drive shaft and/or TC? I would like to know if they share the same splines. (My 325ix shaft is still on the car)

Or if someone just could measure and count the splines on a 325ix shaft?
                  E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

325ix front drive shaft has 43 splines, the splines taper from about 3/32in at the base to 1/32 at the top and are about 1/32in tall
                    Last edited by TehRaydarlover; 01-28-2014, 03:01 PM.
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
                    Rear Diff Rebuild
                    Rebuildable Viscous Coupling
                    Transfer Case Rebuild
                    "Life is simpler with 12 valves"

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
                      Does anybody have a 325ix and 525ix front drive shaft and/or TC? I would like to know if they share the same splines. (My 325ix shaft is still on the car)

Or if someone just could measure and count the splines on a 325ix shaft?
                      I have the complete assembly, the front drive shaft of the 525ix has 27 splines.

Comment

Interesting... The E30 driveshaft already has a 2.0 "module" (the basic measure of a metric spline) which is the largest standard spline with a 90 degree face angle.

So BMW chose a different face angle for a coarser spline on the E34... I wonder if that was to help deal with spline wear...

Comment

I don't think spline wear had manifested itself back then. you didn't really start hearing about stripped splines until near the end of the decade - and I still believe that to be a lubrication/maintenance issue, not a structural or mechanical issue. if they rust they don't stand a chance..

I think the E53 splines are similar to the ix.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, too bad it was diffrent :( Cant use the lengthened spline upgrade..
                            E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

525ix picture for reference. Notice the diameter and tube base compared to the 3series. I think Nando is correct, it would be a maintenance issue as it seems to rust quite easily.
                              Attached Files

Comment

i finally made it home with all the crappy weather. i was outside today and decided to shoot a few photos of my axle collection. i think some of these may be helpful.

the fist are a comparison of e34 front axles to e30. the e30 is in the middle.

these measurements are far from scientific, but none the less, here they are:

e30:

e34

as you can see the collapsed length is pretty much the same for both. now....the width of the center portion of the drive train-front diff/oil pan/bearing carrier is(iirc) about 1" wider for the e34. this is the dimension i am talking about:

i don't think there will be any issues here but there is a slim chance e34 axles could be a bit too long and bind being used in an e30 when the suspension is collapsed. i don't think it will be an issue but its possible.

some close ups of the ends:

in the first two pics, you can see the abs ring is different. you can also see the first radius shoulder after the axle splines is of a larger diameter on the e34 axle. to make these axles work both of these issues are going to require some minor machine work.

here are some comparison pics of the e34 axle compared to the detritus of an e46 axle i still have laying around.

the inner driver's side connection is the same. the passenger side is not as posted above.

the center section. this really isn't a good comparison to anything, but at least you can get an idea of what it looks like.

i think this is the outside end(could be inside) of my e46 axle. it doesn't look anything like either of the other two.

Last edited by flyboyx; 01-30-2014, 02:41 PM.
                                sigpic
                                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                                X