This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great pics!!
    The ABS rings doesnt look removable on the E30?
    E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
    E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Its pressed on both axles. You can definitely just swap them imo.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

you can pry it off with a flat tip screwdriver.

i think the radius where the abs ring is seated will need to be cut down about .040" or so on the e34 axle to make it fit.
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Ah excellent, thanks! I need the ABS sensors for the traction control.
          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
            you can pry it off with a flat tip screwdriver.

i think the radius where the abs ring is seated will need to be cut down about .040" or so on the e34 axle to make it fit.
            I should re-measure, but I actually think they are the same diameter.

either way, it's not a big obstacle all things considered.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

hello I am French

POST TO FOLLOW THE PROJECT! I think to change my 325ix

Comment

Just a little motivation/idea pics from a guy i know whos building a E30 with euro S50, 330xi gearbox and front end etc.

Not much E30 left but its a nice build! :)
                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Took out some of the front diffs, X5 3.07, E34 3.38 and E30 3.91 (E34 looks a bit smaller than it is due to the angle but the X5 is defenetly bigger)

E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Oh by the way, the short (left) E34 front axle seems to fit pretty nice in the X5 diff.
                    Will try the long one later but i dont have any X5 oil pan yet :(
                    Last edited by Nisse Järnet; 03-02-2014, 01:32 PM.
                    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Mocking things up right now, seems to fit pretty well but the axles seems a bit long? :S Didnt fit the outer cv:s yet thou so i might be wrong.

E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
                        Oh by the way, the short (left) E34 front axle seems to fit pretty nice in the X5 diff.
                        Will try the long one later but i dont have any X5 oil pan yet :(

yes, as with e46, the driver's side axle fit into the e34 diff as well. the outside end will be another story. it won't even be close. on the passenger side, the shaft that runs through the oil pan was too long. i would assume this to be the case with x5 too.

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
                        Mocking things up right now, seems to fit pretty well but the axles seems a bit long? :S Didnt fit the outer cv:s yet thou so i might be wrong.

for the e34, the axle length between the cv's is the same. however, the differential/oil pan/ axle carrier part is a little wider. as such, the part of the axle on the e34 that goes through oil pan is a little longer. it translates to about 1 cm on each side of the engine. it could be a problem, but i think there is enough telescoping action in the axles that it will be ok. not sure though.

if you go back to the bottom of page three and look at the pics i posted, i think you will see what i am saying.
                        Last edited by flyboyx; 03-03-2014, 07:02 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

wait, so E34 axles basically work as-is with X5 diff/oil pan?

if that is the case then I would ditch the E34 oil pan/diff in a heartbeat..
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            wait, so E34 axles basically work as-is with X5 diff/oil pan?

if that is the case then I would ditch the E34 oil pan/diff in a heartbeat..

driver side probably, passenger side: possible but very unlikely.
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

what if you had the shaft length modified? it meshes with the diff which is the important part, right?

it has some benefits that make it worth investigating: the E53 pan should fit around the steering rack better, far more ratios available, easier to find parts, includes oil level sensor hole, etc..

the big disadvantages: requires U-jointed front shaft (maybe not a disadvantage considering how much easier taking it apart could be), passenger side CV shaft wrong length?

I was always under the impression that the E34 shaft didn't mesh with the E53 diff at all.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

this is my assumption. here are some pix of e46 compared to e34 axles that i have already posted earlier in this thread. i think its pretty safe to assume based on the comparisons already made earlier in the thread and nisse's findings that x5 and e46 axles are pretty similiar. in both cases, e34 is on top and e46 is on the bottom.

driver:

pax:

this one was posted already too. this is e34 axle on the left and e30 on the right. that is the length difference of the center shaft between the two.

my point for posting this one is that the difference between the center section of the e30 axle and e46 is a whopping 3". this means that the axles are probably about 1.5" too long on each side. even with modified center section of the e34 axle, they are going to sit outboard more and will certainly need to be shortened.

i really don't understand why the oil level sensor is so important to you? e30 m3's don't even have one of those. i always check my oil every time i fill up the gas tank.

personally, i have doubts that there will be any better fit between the steering rack and front diff. we have determined that the hole goes through the pan in pretty much the same place i believe. if anything, since the diff sits further out toward the driver's side of the car, i would assume the interference to be worse, no? don't get me wrong, i would really like to see" domestic" parts that could make this happen. as you know, its a pain to get this stuff on this side of the ocean. so far, i'm not able to see the feasibility of it.

as far as ratio is concerned, what would you consider as the ideal for this project? i know we've talked about this before, but there have been a lot of revisions since then. (transmission choice for example)

s5x rwd swapped cars with a g260 generally run 3.23 as the ideal ratio. with the extra driveline drag associated with awd, 3.38 seems like a good ratio to run on the street. s54's are close to 290hp at the wheels. with the tune you are working on, probably a good deal more than that.
                                Last edited by flyboyx; 03-03-2014, 11:38 AM.
                                sigpic
                                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X