ix shaking and clicking need help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ix shaking and clicking need help!!

So as the title states my Ix is shaking at hwy speeds and you can feel I in the seat and occasionally in the steering wheel. Also there is a clicking noise coming from my front drivers side, could a worn out cv axle cause the car to shake?

I have checked the wheel bearings by jacking the car up and trying to wiggle the tire all 4 have zero play...what could it be? I'm stumped, I appreciate the help in advance.

Sounds like your front drive shaft is striping out. You should pull it and inspect the splines.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
    Rear Diff Rebuild
    Rebuildable Viscous Coupling
    Transfer Case Rebuild
    "Life is simpler with 12 valves"

Comment

Driveshaft splines + front CV.
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Ok I will have to check the splines And get back.

Comment

is the front driver's inner or outer CV cracked? All the grease could have flown out and the CV is binding.
          FS NY: two Audiobahn A235HC amps and audiobahn 1farad capacitor
          Saab/GM tech2 programming
          My for sale thread
          1990 325iX for sale or part out
          Did you buy something from me? Please leave feedback!

Originally posted by K20RI_211
          And I have to ask if you make a hobby out of thread-bombing with retarded questions?

Comment

Cv boots are fine no cracks or holes. Front drive shaft also looks good. Any other ideas??

Comment

front diff? have you checked your oil? rotate front wheel with gear on, you should feel it
              Also found on Facebook - Juuso Tero, Tampere
              https://www.facebook.com/JuusosGarage

Comment

What would I feel?

Comment

if the diff has lost teeth or some cracks in the gearing you will notice it locking in some point or jumping free at some part of rotation
                  Also found on Facebook - Juuso Tero, Tampere
                  https://www.facebook.com/JuusosGarage

Comment

Well that is definitely not happening, I'm starting to suspect the wheel bearings though the tires don't move I get a hummish shake when turning right but it is only for a brief second then goes away then comes back it is based on rotation as far as I can tell. Like it will do it at one point then go away in tell the next rotation.

Comment

check all your guibo's ,a bad rear driveshaft guibo/U-joint will be felt in the seat

clicking may just be a worn CV joint and unrelated to vibration (they can be bad even with good boots!have seen balls/cages break), although really bad joints have been known to cause vibration issues too but usually only in steering, not seat area

also how about wheel balance?
                      Angus
                      88 E30M3 X2
                      89 325IX
                      92 R100GS/PD
                      :)

Comment

Wheel balance is first on my list I am going to rotate them and balance them hopefully tomorrow or Saturday. I recently (last summer) did the rear transmission seal and also the z3 shifter and while doing so I checked all my guibo's so I believe they are all good no cracks or significant signs of wear. Could I have installed the drive shaft in the wrong position? In my hast I never marked the drive shaft to the transfer case does it matter? Please excuse my ignorance.....

Comment

I have a pair of fully rebuilt front axles if you end up needing them. PM me.
                          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

alingment of front driveshaft yoke to guibo is not important if you only removed the three bolts and put it back one of the three ways it could go back on . if you completely removed the guibo from both the yokes (trans and driveshaft then you do need to align the arrows on the guibo correctly ,but this is only because of premature wear out if not done right,see pic )

i think you are thinking of the two piece driveshafts were it is critical to mark them if they come apart in center to correctly align the U-joints, but IX is only one piece and any of the three positions is ok . also make sure alignment centering pin and bushing are ok as if they are bent/missing it will cause a vibration also
                            Attached Files
                            Angus
                            88 E30M3 X2
                            89 325IX
                            92 R100GS/PD
                            :)

Comment

So correct me if I'm wrong. There is no "right" way to put the rear driveline in? And the center guibo between the trans and the transfer case is dependent on wear? Also how much are you wanting for your CV axles? And where were they rebuilt?

Comment

Working...
                              X