Tie Rod replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tie Rod replacement

The only time I did this I was swapping the whole rack so I dropped the front subframe. Can the inners be replaced with the subframe still on the car?
    AWD > RWD

Yes. You will want new boots, clamps, and lock rings.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

The inner tie-rod takes a big wrench also but if you don't care about the finish can put a pipe wrench on it.

Comment

^^^ I think OP has an IX. I haven't tried tie rod replacement on mine, but it looks a heck of a lot tougher to get at vs. a 2WD car.

The E30 collection:
        1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
        1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
        1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
        1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
        1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
        1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
        1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
        2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
        2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

it's not that bad. actually, I don't know what would even be hard about it. they're right in front of the struts. I don't think you can do the inners without doing the outters though - that is, I've never seen them for sale separately.

basically you just turn the wheel all the way to one side, then you can easily get at the lock plates etc. I'd lay them on the ground and try to match the lengths, then when you have it aligned it will be close enough to drive it to the shop.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

This thread is relevant to me as I need to do this on my car. Was wondering how to break the inner section loose.
            318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
            '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

you just pry off the lock clips and use an open end wrench on the inner tie rod. the boot has to be cut off, of course. it's not hard at all.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                it's not that bad. actually, I don't know what would even be hard about it. they're right in front of the struts. I don't think you can do the inners without doing the outters though - that is, I've never seen them for sale separately.
                That's exactly the advice I was looking for. I did not even think to turn the wheel side to side. And yeah, they're only sold as a set, but replacing the outer is obvious it was the inner where I was like, "ffs, I do not want to drop the subframe."
                AWD > RWD

Comment

I've never done inner tie rod ends on an IX, but I have on other cars. There's an inner tie rod tool for the job.

Comment

Thanks for the advice and reassuring words :)
                    Quick word of caution :
                    Quite easy job, true, except for putting back the inner boot clamps : poor access means no way to use a crimping tool so I resorted to screw clamps that will do the job but wouldn't stay in place and were a bit of a pain to install...
                    Also, passenger side inner was quite difficult to unscrew as the wrench would have had to be horizontal which isn't possible given there's a control arm, half-shaft and sway bar in the way... Had to grind some, so as to put the wrench on vertically. Should have tried a pipe wrench...

Comment

Working...
                    X