Which Springs for IX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Springs for IX

Looking to Upgrade and Lower the car a little which Springs would you recommend and where to get them I have the shocks Bilsteins

H&R Springs from TMS ?

Chris

Stock springs. I'm going back to stock after being on h&r's for over a year. There's also low tec, and Dinan springs for the iX. If you do end up with h&rs make sure to cut the bump stops down.
    Build Thread
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
    Parts Thread
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
      Stock springs. I'm going back to stock after being on h&r's for over a year. There's also low tec, and Dinan springs for the iX. If you do end up with h&rs make sure to cut the bump stops down.

What's the reason going back to stock ?

Comment

I think bilsteins are too harsh with the h&rs but I'm also the same one that has a sparco Evo. I would probably get Konis and h&rs. It handles a lot less awd like though. Oh and winter I want ground clearance.
        Build Thread
        Parts Thread

Comment

I would try the H&Rs with the Bilsteins - just make sure you cut the front bump stops. If the ride is poor Konis will be pretty good. I ran H&R and Koni for years, and it was pretty much like how a newer car rides.

Does lowtech actually make ix-specific springs, or are they just springs that happen to fit?

I know the Dinan springs are probably way too low. If you are going for drop in springs, I would go with H&R - there's no point in trying to go any lower because the struts are too long and you'll bottom out anyway.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            I would try the H&Rs with the Bilsteins - just make sure you cut the front bump stops. If the ride is poor Konis will be pretty good. I ran H&R and Koni for years, and it was pretty much like how a newer car rides.

Does lowtech actually make ix-specific springs, or are they just springs that happen to fit?

I know the Dinan springs are probably way too low. If you are going for drop in springs, I would go with H&R - there's no point in trying to go any lower because the struts are too long and you'll bottom out anyway.
            I am overhauling the whole suspension and I don't want a crazy drop but I wouldn't mind an 1" of drop

Comment

The H&R iX springs combined with shortened front bump stops and the thick front and rear spring pads work great in our iX. Ride quality with Bilsteins is excellent.
              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Yeah lowtec makes iX specific but they slam the car, Billy's and H&Rs are the bet bang for buck. I need some grey e30 sport seats or comfort but it seems like only the iXs got grey interiors. Never a good idea to use a race seat in a daliy. The car probably rides better than I think. Fml clearly theirs much more educated people here. I also don't have the best opinion because of the sparco. Oh well better go to the for sale section to look at interiors. Lol
                Build Thread
                Parts Thread

Comment

Only way I would lower the car is with H&R springs and Koni Shocks. Billies are too harsh. Even with stock springs the Billies are bit rough IMO.
                  My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Originally posted by EyExR View Post
                    Only way I would lower the car is with H&R springs and Koni Shocks. Billies are too harsh. Even with stock springs the Billies are bit rough IMO.
                    Obviously, this is a mostly subjective thing, but I thought I'd counter with my opinion. I use bilsteins with stock shocks and I think it rides quite comfortably. My e30 is the most "modified" car I have ever had and the only thing I've done is switched to bilsteins and add urethane lollipops so I am by no means used to a harsh ride.

Comment

stock springs?

keep in mind they are only HDs, and also they do work just fine with stock springs. When you lower them or go for stiffer valved versions, it changes.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I would do H&Rs. If you cut a dead coil off the front, the drop is perfect.

BUT, I am with the others; Billys ride too harsh. Koni/H&R is the way to be.

1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ghatid View Post
                          Obviously, this is a mostly subjective thing, but I thought I'd counter with my opinion. I use bilsteins with stock shocks and I think it rides quite comfortably. My e30 is the most "modified" car I have ever had and the only thing I've done is switched to bilsteins and add urethane lollipops so I am by no means used to a harsh ride.
                          Yup. Still feels slightly harsh to me. But I drive my e34 a lot more so maybe that's it. It's like going from a long travel bike to a race bike. Still love the feel though. Not complaining. But if I could add a bit more squish I would...
                          My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Chris, Others what do you guys align the car to.
                            I just bought the eccentric adjusters for the rear so i can try to cure the car of destroying the inside edge of the tire.
                            I have H&R springs and Billie Dampers, on southern california roads have been pretty ok.
                            Its almost like they dont have enough spring rate in the car though sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by EyExR View Post
                              Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                              I would do H&Rs. If you cut a dead coil off the front, the drop is perfect.

BUT, I am with the others; Billys ride too harsh. Koni/H&R is the way to be.

Ok Guys what's the best place and good on price to get the Konis & H&R Springs I am going with that set up time to get the IX back on the road

Comment

Working...
                              X