Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sway bars are you running? (325iX only)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It definitely still understeers, but I can get a bit of oversteer if I try hard enough.I've been meaning to take the rallyx ix on an autox. If I can get to it this weekend I'll post back.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Korman "modified" front bar

While reading this thread I remembered that Korman engineering offers a "modified front bar" for iX. Does anyone have any idea what that means? I've been wondering for a decade...

Text from the website:

Korman Roadsport Suspension Systems

Our best selling suspension package is comfortable enough for daily use, yet provides substantially improved handling for winding roads and weekend club events. Kit includes:

4 progressive rate springs which lower the car 1.3" front and rear

front and rear adjustable anti-sway bars (22mm/19mm) (iX receives a modified stiffer stock front sway bar, 19mm rear bar)

polyurethane sway bar bushings and bushing lubricant

Bilstein Sport shocks, front and rear (heavy duty Bilsteins for iX)

Comment

IIRC they change the mount position of the links. I don't even know if they make those any more - it's been years. One of our users was his son, but he hasn't posted in a long time.

probably since the E36 bar pretty much fits right in, that make the most sense.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

We are talking major sway city over here. Hahah. What is interesting is that with a passenger (first 3 runs) I ran all 3 within 1/4 second of each other. The 4th run, without a passenger, the car was twitchy, rolled even more, and was a bit unpredictable.

It's really eye opening to see this car on pavement, it handles totally different. I' never notice the swaying on dirt, probably because the bumps override everything else. I might try putting the stock sway bar on and seeing how that is on dirt now. But I'm worried that because it's so bumpy, it'll be constantly upsetting the tire that isn't experiencing a bump and it'll be a net decrease in traction.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

haha, wow. wonder if that is the original suspension? here's mine from 2011, I don't think I even have the same setup anymore (handles as well, but much more comfortable) - way less roll!

yeah, I think on dirt you want more compliance/movement than you do on pavement.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

No, the suspension is Bilstein HDs with half the internal bump stop removed and GC strut mounts and adjusters with Eibach 250#F/315#R springs.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                No, the suspension is Bilstein HDs with half the internal bump stop removed and GC strut mounts and adjusters with Eibach 250#F/315#R springs.
                Sweet! That's almost the exact same suspension setup as our RallyX iX. Where do you have the ride height set up? I screwed up and should've got 7" rear springs instead of 6"- Currently the adjusters are pretty much maxed out (kind of sketchy), and I still wouldn't mind going up another half inch or so...

325iX Turdbo Rally/Hillclimb/Beater

Comment

I have 9" springs in the rear with the adjusters all the way down. They were a pain in the ass to get in, I had to use spring compressors. The 10" springs in the front are pretty cool because they have a slight beehive to them, like the stock rear springs. The front is just about center of the adjuster and according to the pic below it looks like if I go too much lower I'll rub on hard braking.

AWD > RWD

Comment

Yeah, so BMW put that sway bar in there for a reason. I think without the sway and just the suspension upgrade is an improvement over stock so that's why I didn't think I needed it. But after putting it in, wow, it's another step up in improvement. I cut the Meyle HD ones down 2.5", threaded both ends and tapped some steel tube to make them adjustable.

AWD > RWD

Comment

I gave fitting the E36 M3 swaybar a try:

Stock strut housings, stock endlinks, modified/enlarged old bushings.

This with the wheel turned to the left, suspension under load. (turned out I had way to less load on it, see last picture)

Wheels straight

And to the right

I enlarged some old swabar bushins I had laying around from the suspension refresh from my uncles Touring.

Definitly no perfect though will need to figure something out as the E36 bushings are way to big to fit the swabar bushing clamps.

Was feeling pretty confident, I decided to lower the car back onto its wheels.
                      Well turns out the suspension drops a lot more, causing the saybar to turn a whole lot more and hitting the subframe. I guess some longer links are in order.
                      1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                      1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

yeah, longer links would fix that.

If you get it sorted, post up what length you ended up at. Is this car at stock ride height?
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          yeah, longer links would fix that.

If you get it sorted, post up what length you ended up at. Is this car at stock ride height?
                          Will do. I have some spare end links that are still in great condition, will cut these and thread them, so I can make them adjustable with some threaded tube.

Here's a picture of how the car is sitting, I'm pretty sure there are different springs fitted to on the front but I'm unsure which ones. They have a yellow stripe on them, not sure what color code the original springs have.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

How did you enlarge the bushings?
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                              How did you enlarge the bushings?
                              Big drill and an die grinder haha :)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Howdy everyone! Would someone be able to measure a stock end link for me? I have some adjustable end links and I should be putting my front end back together shortly. I'd like to get measurements of the stock end links so I have a baseline to measure from, and I seem to have tossed mine out last year when I disassembled my car

Comment

Working...
                                X