Blown head gasket need advice 89 325ix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown head gasket need advice 89 325ix

So after installing supposedly rebuilt engine it turned out to be not so good. Got oil in my coolant tank after the first start up. What are my options? I have my original complete engine with a head. Should I remove that and rebuild it or try to find a rebuilt one? Anyone can suggest a reasonable machine shop who can do the job? I'm in Sacramento CA. Also what new parts will I need for the rebuild? It was supposed to be a small restoration project for my wife but I'm $14k into it already and the car still doesn't run.

Why was the original motor removed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would start by doing some diagnostics on the new engine.
      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

The original motor was replaced due to the bottom end issues. Originally I was going to rebuild mine but someone on this forum sent me a link to a rebuild motor that was selling on craigslist. So that's where I made a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
          What else could it be considering that the oil is milky and is all over the place? What else should I be looking for?

Comment

Also I just checked the head on the rebuilt engine is OEM it says 2.5 and 2.7 on it but the head on my old motor is AMC.

Comment

I'd rebuild the original. also, the 885 head was used on both 2.5 and 2.7 liter engines, that's normal.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                I'd rebuild the original. also, the 885 head was used on both 2.5 and 2.7 liter engines, that's normal.
                But if the original supposedly had been rebuilt and I'm having issues with it is there a point to rebuild it again?

Comment

I thought you bought a "rebuilt" engine and that didn't work out? I meant rebuild the motor that originally came from your car. Unless the gasket is totally screwed on that "rebuild" you have, coolant/oil mix means something is likely cracked (head or block).
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Rebuild the best bottom end. A head gasket is not a horrible job on an m20 I wish you were on the east coast I would be happy to take that on. If you are already that deep into it then take your original head to a reputable machine shop have it decked and tested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had one that was mixing oil and coolant, turned out to be a cracked head in the cam journals. I put a used head on it, no problems. Not that long ago, I replaced the head on my current car with a bimmerheads rebuilt. I've had zero problems with it.

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                        Originally posted by monticello View Post
                        I had one that was mixing oil and coolant, turned out to be a cracked head in the cam journals. I put a used head on it, no problems. Not that long ago, I replaced the head on my current car with a bimmerheads rebuilt. I've had zero problems with it.
                        Yep.

I had this as well. Bottom end was fine. It just needed a new head.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

If there's coolant in the oil, the head is cracked. The m20 has no place where the oil/coolant can mix with a blown head gasket alone.

Instead, the cam valley cracks and when pressurized, the coolant passes through the crack and mixes with the oil.

EDIT:

Originally posted by monticello View Post

I read your replay in full after posting. You would be correct, sir.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Find out EXACTLY what went wrong before swapping bits. And before you put another head on get it pressure tested at a machine shop. Don't put a head on just cause someone says it is "fine".

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                              If there's coolant in the oil, the head is cracked. The m20 has no place where the oil/coolant can mix with a blown head gasket alone.

Instead, the cam valley cracks and when pressurized, the coolant passes through the crack and mixes with the oil.

EDIT:

I read your replay in full after posting. You would be correct, sir.
                              Thanks for the advice! I will look into rebuilding my old head. It's not OEM as mentioned but it worked before.

Comment

Working...
                              X