Reinstalling e30 sunroof after delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reinstalling e30 sunroof after delete

I am new to this forum and have owned my 1990 318is e30 for around 4 years now. So I definitely do not know everything about them so bare with me.

When I bought my e30 it had a welded sunroof delete, it seems they had bogged the roof up (assuming due to minimising the welding show under the paint).

Now I am wanting to do a full respray of it to a new colour, I was wondering if it would be possible to cut & remove the sunroof delete and reinstall a sunroof.

I know this would be a hefty job if it is possible but since I assume I have to fix the sunroof delete anyway, just wanted to ask if anyone has done this or if its possible before I respray.

Thanks!

Might be easiest to take a roof skin from a sunroof car and replace your roof skin with that one. I'll hazard a guess your roof is now warped from the welding.

Comment

Originally posted by fruggly30 View Post
      I was wondering if it would be possible to cut & remove the sunroof delete and reinstall a sunroof.
      Anything is possible, just have to decide how much punishment you want.
      Personally a sunroof wouldn't be worth the hassle for me to attempt this job. Better to fix the delete the right way and then paint it as a slicktop.

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
      Might be easiest to take a roof skin from a sunroof car and replace your roof skin with that one. I'll hazard a guess your roof is now warped from the welding.
      Agree this is probably the easiest route.

Comment

You would probably be the first E30 owner to ever reverse a sunroof delete. You would really need to see how they deleted it before proceeding, so I'd say remove the headliner and inspect unless you've already done so.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          You would probably be the first E30 owner to ever reverse a sunroof delete. You would really need to see how they deleted it before proceeding, so I'd say remove the headliner and inspect unless you've already done so.
          this ^

Comment

You can cut the roof from a donor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DF9DFCC5-06CB-4BBA-A8AA-86125A939DAC_zpsqqoljrz3.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	10098097

Comment

Awesome thanks everyone! Yeah thought it might be a tad crazy to undelete it but wanted to hear other people's opinions!

Comment

Working...
              X