Rear Bumper Install Tips - Late Model

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MasterD78
    Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 72

    #1

    Rear Bumper Install Tips - Late Model

    I bought a new rear bumper for my '91 and I for the life of me can NOT get it to fit properly. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to getting it to fit correctly? I can't seem to get the sides of the bumper to connect to the side bracket without issues. So if anyone has tips that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • MasterD78
    Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 72

    #2
    I can also take pictures if that would be helpful.

    Comment

    • 2mAn
      Señior Mod
      • Aug 2010
      • 20975

      #3
      Yea take some pics. The brackets should have a little room to help the alignment to help slide in (#4 & 5).

      Are the bumpers aftermarket or OEM?

      Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2026-09-10 135209.png Views:	0 Size:	115.1 KB ID:	10166651
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1966 Blue Boat
      -1969 Red VW
      -1986 White BMW
      -2006 Green Thing

      Make R3V Great Again -2020

      Comment

      • MasterD78
        Member
        • Feb 2013
        • 72

        #4
        I bought the OEM bumper from ECS Tuning. I’ll get some pics up tomorrow. Thanks for any insight, I’ve tried a half dozen times, but just can’t seem to get it so I’ve been rolling bumperless. 😂🤣

        Comment

        • 82eye
          R3VLimited
          • Jan 2009
          • 2095

          #5
          what year is your car?

          Comment

          • MasterD78
            Member
            • Feb 2013
            • 72

            #6
            1991 4 door, here she sits in the driveway bumperless.

            Comment

            • Panici
              Moderator
              • Dec 2009
              • 2543

              #7
              I've always thought a rollpan (like a mini truck) would look interesting on an E30. Now's your chance!

              Comment

              • ehrawn
                Wrencher
                • Aug 2023
                • 225

                #8
                Originally posted by MasterD78
                for the life of me can NOT get it to fit properly.
                We’re gonna need some photos to show specifically where you’re having trouble. I just did mine and had no issues. This guide was helpful

                Comment

                • MasterD78
                  Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • 72

                  #9
                  I’ll try and mount it up tomorrow and get photos. Thanks for the guide above. I’ll keep yall updated. Thanks again for the help.

                  Comment

                  • MasterD78
                    Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • 72

                    #10
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3852.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	10166857 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3854.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	10166858 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3850.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	10166859 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3851.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	10166860 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3853.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	10166861 Here are some pics of the bumper that I threw on the car this morning.

                    Comment

                    • MasterD78
                      Member
                      • Feb 2013
                      • 72

                      #11
                      And a few more. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3858.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	10166863 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3859.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	10166864 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3855.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	10166865 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3857.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	10166866 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3856.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	10166867

                      Comment

                      • ehrawn
                        Wrencher
                        • Aug 2023
                        • 225

                        #12
                        It doesn’t look like the front ends are mated properly to the plastic brackets pictured here

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0366.png
Views:	31
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	10166894 can you try removing them from your car and attaching them to the bumper to make sure the can attach properly? Once you’re assured you know how all of the pieces clip together, follow the link guide to reassemble and adjust the position of the front edges.

                        Comment

                        • GasolineJess
                          Noobie
                          • Sep 2026
                          • 11

                          #13
                          ehrawn's right, and it's the step most people skip: bench-assemble it first. Brackets onto the bumper, off the car, and make sure the front ends actually clip in while you can still see what you're doing. The side not mating to the bracket is almost always that step, not a bad bumper.

                          While it's apart, check these, because the fit fight usually lives in one of them:

                          1. The two side sliders on the quarter panels. Originals are brittle by now, and one missing tab or a worn rail means the front edge never sits right no matter how you shim the beam. They're cheap. Replace tired ones and half the fight ends there.

                          2. Back on with every bolt finger-tight. Nothing snug anywhere. Close the trunk, walk back two steps, look at the top gap. Get it even side to side before a wrench touches anything.

                          3. Torque from the middle out, alternating sides in small steps. One side tight first preloads the other and pulls the whole bumper out of line. Same rule as a valve cover, just bigger.

                          4. Front edges, bumper to quarter: those bracket slots have travel. If it still gaps after everything is loose-aligned, check the beam isn't bent, and be honest about whether the car's ever been bumped back there.

                          If it still fights, post a shot straight down the side with the gap showing, and one of the slider area with the side piece pulled. I'll tell you which way I'd chase it.

                          - Jess (I do body and paint for a living)

                          Comment

                          Working...