e30 m3 color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 m3 color?

so i just purchased a 88 m3 from alexmac on here, while the car is in transport i want to get everything all set up so when it gets here i get working on it right away.

as some of you may know i work at a body shop.
    the car is currently alpine with a cardinal interior.
    is it a sin to change the color? would it devalue the car?

i like the alpine and im leaning towards painting it alpine again but if i can make it look a bit diferent why not?

what do you guys think?

What other color would you choose?

"The Camry is an appliance, not a car. It attracts folks who have the same regard for driving that they have for washing dishes,
    i.e. it's a necessary but somewhat unpleasant chore and they want something to make the task a little easier and insulate them from the process."
     - my friend, Número Veintiséis

Comment

IMO don't change colors. However, at least don't cheap out. Nothing worse than a bad respray due to not removing trim/windows/bumper/engine/interior...etc.

Devalue, as it's an M3, I would think so, but it all depends on how well you do the job, and the potential buyer.

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
        IMO don't change colors. However, at least don't cheap out. Nothing worse than a bad respray due to not removing trim/windows/bumper/engine/interior...etc.

Devalue, as it's an M3, I would think so, but it all depends on how well you do the job, and the potential buyer.
        if i did it it wouldbe remove install everything and base clear with complete jambs.
        thats what im thinking if it was a regular e30 i would paint it whatever but since its a m3 im not sure

Comment

Originally posted by JBird View Post
          What other color would you choose?
          i saw this really dark burgandy on a porsche carrera turbo, not sure exactly what its called but after thinking about it it wouldnt look all that great with a cardinal interior

Comment

Doesn't matter, since whatever color you choose won't be original.

Especially if they do it right.
            STX e30
            No. 10/110 STX: 1989 325i
            DD: 1991 318is slicktop

SHAZAM, GOMER, LOOK AHEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by 110stx View Post
              Doesn't matter, since whatever color you choose won't be original.

Especially if they do it right.
              dont understand what you mean

Comment

i'd say don't do any color that is not OEM to the e30 chassis.
                but a complete respray in alpine would be bad ass,
                and alpine on cardinal is about as dope as it gets.

Comment

You already know what is involved with a color change, especially to do it right.
                  Done wrong, I feel it makes the car seem cheaper. Opening the hood on a Black or Red car only to see flashes of white under the hood or inside the trunk.

As for the value of originality, there are cars that get repairs/resprays even before being sold. Just look at the BMW repair shop at Port Huenemme.

Or how about a gull wing Mercedes that got resprayed sometime in it's life. Yeah it's not original, but the value doesn't suffer all that much. There were considerably more E30M3's produced, so while collectible (and fun!) I don't consider them rare.

Do it your way, do it right, put it together, and drive it.

Do it Warhol style and hear the purists scream.

Comment

haha you guys are great, i think ill keep it alpine......maybe

Comment

Don't do AW3. It's not an e30 color and the differences aren't monumental enough to justify losing a potential sale because though AW3 is a genuine bmw color, it's not the original e30 m3 color that your car was built and originated with.

Be smart about this.

My .02
                      world renown Harry Potter expert
                      sigpic

Comment

Or sell me the car for what you have in it and buy that swapped car you wanted :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
                        92 325ic 5 speed, hard top, windscreen, 133k, for sale
                        sigpic

Comment

congratulations oliver! keep it original and classy!

Comment

you guys have been very helpful thanks

Comment

i HATE white cars....but I wouldnt change the color
                              1991 318is ---230K - DD
                              1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                              so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Working...
                              X