removable radiator support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removable radiator support

Who has replaced there radiator support and how hard is it? Who has made there radiator support removable and how did you go about it? I searched and found some info but not what im looking for. I got in a wreck and need to replace it..
    84' 318i m30b35 swapped!

I just bought a replacement rad support for the same reason, so am interested in the responses too. It's cut and weld & not sure of the structural challenges to make it removable...or why you would want to
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
      I just bought a replacement rad support for the same reason, so am interested in the responses too. It's cut and weld & not sure of the structural challenges to make it removable...or why you would want to
      You want it removable for access.

There isn't a clean way to make it removable. You can do it, but what you have done will be visible.

I would do it by nutserting the frame rails at the attachment points, and use small bolts on the side channels.
      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Check jgoods thread, he has done it.

My support was mangled from a p.o accident, so I will be replacing mine as well (bnib OEM piece on the way from blunt). I am going to be making mine removable as well, plan on reinforcing some areas and using bolts with captive nuts in strategic places. Once you see the new piece off the car you can see what areas would make sense as mounting points.

Btw, buy a spot weld cutter to help you remove... I still ended up sawzalling most of the old support because I didn't need any of it, but it did help in places

Comment

I appreciate the input. With an M10 access is the least of my worrys. I just want it to look right and be structurally adequate.

My concern is being able to align it without putting it through a frame shop. The bumper corner took most of the impact & it pushed the inner fender & frame rail a bit. The car tracks better than before since I replaced both CA's & the strut mounts so the issue is pretty well cosmetic.

I think the idea would be to pull the bumper which should (in theory) bring the rail & inner fender back then swap in the rad support & reinforce where needed.

That part doesnt phase me as much as whether I need lasers & a complicated rig to align it all or if the clean rad support will act as a baseline...if that makes sense.

I do have a replacement bumper w shocks, valence, fender & rad support...or should I just turn it into an autox and be done ?
          Attached Files
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

Alice the Time Capsule
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by flawdaboi407 View Post
            Who has replaced there radiator support and how hard is it? Who has made there radiator support removable and how did you go about it? I searched and found some info but not what im looking for. I got in a wreck and need to replace it..
            I paid about $100 for the new support. having it welded in along with a frame machine check was $500.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

A body shop did say about 8 hrs to swap the rad support so that sounds about right. Bottom line is I guess its not a DIY if you want it right.

Alice the Time Capsule

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                A body shop did say about 8 hrs to swap the rad support so that sounds about right. Bottom line is I guess its not a DIY if you want it right.
                Nonsense. Lots of guys have done a great job DIYing a core support. There are also LOTS of hack body shops out there. If you have the patience and skill (and tools), nothing is impossible.

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                  Nonsense. Lots of guys have done a great job DIYing a core support. There are also LOTS of hack body shops out there. If you have the patience and skill (and tools), nothing is impossible.
                  We have done them in our shop - even used ones from other JY cars. Takes some time and patience, but isn't too difficult for an experienced welder/fabricator. Measure, measure, measure.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

It's cake to make it removable, and none of my attachment points are visible. I welded nuts inside the frame rails, and also at the top, near where it attaches to the fender/side support. I basically just copied Garey (bmwmech1).

It would be dumb not to do that while it's already out anyway.
                    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                    e30 restoration and V8 swap
                    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                      It's cake to make it removable, and none of my attachment points are visible. I welded nuts inside the frame rails, and also at the top, near where it attaches to the fender/side support. I basically just copied Garey (bmwmech1).

It would be dumb not to do that while it's already out anyway.
                      A was Thinking of doing removable radiator support. any pic of how you did it?
                      sigpic:):)

Comment

No vids on youtube about it, nothing in here either. Maybe I'll post a tutorial cause I need mine done too.
                        sigpic

Comment

Just search the forum. My build thread, bmwmech1's build thread, and at least 2 others that I can remember have done it, and documented it. But it's one of those things that you just do, once you're in there it becomes obvious. Just disassemble the front end, cut out the core support, and weld on some brackets to bolt it back together.

Comment

Here ya go.

All of those spots are fully hidden once the car is assembled, so it doesn't really matter what it looks like, but here is a somewhat more 'finished' execution. The problem with this one, is you have to remove the fenders to get to those upper bolts. Not a huge deal, but I know that's not something that I'd like to do every time I pull my core support (which has been more often then I'd prefer, since my car hates me).

Comment

Originally posted by flawdaboi407 View Post

I have, and it kind of sucked... Honestly, I feel it's TIG only territory, but an experienced MIG welder could possibly do it. The hardest part about the whole process is keeping everything square.

I do have a few tips in hind sight... Use a late model core support regardless of what year you have if you are replacing; it requires less modification due to not having the tow hooks and the notch already made for you. Honestly though, it was $250 shipped from blunt so just buy a new one, it's much nicer to work with. Also, make the tabs for the frame a bit bigger, mine are just a bit too small on the back side. You will also need to relocate the radiator mounting brackets, and that is not shown in my documenting. Overall it's pretty straight forward if you are intuitive and can visualize things well, but you need to be a good welder. It's too thin for an in-experienced welder to attempt. You also need to be careful about heat input to not warp the piece.

Originally posted by JGood View Post

The problem with this one, is you have to remove the fenders to get to those upper bolts. Not a huge deal, but I know that's not something that I'd like to do every time I pull my core support (which has been more often then I'd prefer, since my car hates me).

It takes about ten minutes to take the fenders off after the grill/lights are removed. Ten minutes of my time is worth not scratching the fenders, and all the benefits of doing it that way. Thanks for using mine as an example too! I used yours as a basic concept, and the factory dimension specs you posted really helped out a lot.
                              sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

Working...
                              X