No announcement yet.

E30 OEM KEY OCD Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just bought a new key pre cut from the dealer last week, doesn't fit. I gave them my VIN and registration (required when buying a key). I'm assuming a shop or someone changed all the tumblers on my car sometime within the last 30 years unfortunately.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

I talked with the dealer and they re-ordered a new key, which came out correctly and works all the locks. No charge.

Comment

Not sure if anyone has had this issue recently, but I contacted a local dealer and they gave me BMW's Key Replacement number, 888-575-5397. I called them and they told me they cannot provide a VIN cut key car models older than '98...

So I stopped by the local dealer and placed the order with my DL and registration last week. Yesterday, the dealer contacts me and says they are having difficulty getting it cut.

Any suggestions? The copies I have from the PO aren't in the greatest shape. I have also rebuilt the driver's side and trunk with new wafers.

Comment

So I'm completely shocked and pleasantly surprised, but last week I placed an order through my local dealership for a lighted master key, spare key, and a vin sticker (painting my car now and needed a new one). I needed title, my driver's license, and for the VIN sticker I needed a picture of the old original sticker (thankfully I took one only so that I could put the new one in the proper place) as well as a signed reason for why I needed a new sticker.

I placed the order for my factory coded keys on 9/8, and my dealer called on 9/11 that they were already ready for pickup! 3 days?? I was expecting 4-6 weeks. The best part: I put them in the ignition and they actually worked! Am rebuilding the door and trunk locks but was worried about the ignition. I can't believe how fast a turnover it was:

I obviously needed them. As for pricing, with a BMW CCA 15% discount:

Lighted Master: $124.41
          Spare: $60.61
          VIN Sticker: $32.27

I just can't get over how fast they were ready

'86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Albie325 I had no idea you could order the door VIN sticker! Thanks so much for posting. Hope to see you and the ride at The Vintage!
            I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
            TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
            e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
              Albie325 I had no idea you could order the door VIN sticker! Thanks so much for posting. Hope to see you and the ride at The Vintage!
              Yessir, it's not the same in appearance as the original however does still look very sharp. Definitely planning to be there, we'll have to link up for sure
              '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Can any of you guys measure the E30 key length you have? I have previously purchased a VIN coded key for my E30 that was nothing like the ones I have here. So I presumed the locks had been changed in the past. But now its possible the locks/keys might not even be from an E30 (maybe an E21 ?).

I just got 2x blanks (51211900892) from Germany and they are 3mm longer than my key.

BLANK - from bevel point 28mm (total length 38mm)
                MY E30 - from bevel points 25mm (total length 35mm)

The locksmith would not cut them. Besides the length they are identical steel, but the black finger grip on my old one s rounded more around the edges, not sharper edge like the new one.
                Last edited by agisthos; 11-14-2022, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X