Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good way to attach convertible instructions to visor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good way to attach convertible instructions to visor?

Hey all, I recently picked up an 87 vert and the plastic pocket that holds the convertible instruction sheet has been completely torn off along with a chunk of the black vinyl that covers the foam filling. I've already ordered a replica instruction sheet from pukar designs, but I'm wonder what the best way would be to attach this to the visor. My initial thought is some type of plastic pocket that can be melted on to the vinyl, but not really sure where to go about getting a custom cut pocket. I don't necessarily care about it being identical to OEM, just want the instructions there both because i think it looks cool and to cover up the chunk of missing vinyl. Let me know if anyone's had luck doing something similar and what you did.

I have a vague memory of someone selling replacement pockets too. I'm usually referring people from the FB group to here because of the years of knowledge in the threads, but this is a situation when you might reach a larger audience by asking the question on the FB group. Regardless, please post back here if you find a solution. I also have a replacement card and the pocket on my vert is damaged.

Cory
    1992 325i Cabrio
    1988 320i Touring
    2000 M5
    1977 530i
    2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
    BMWCCA
    E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
      I have a vague memory of someone selling replacement pockets too. I'm usually referring people from the FB group to here because of the years of knowledge in the threads, but this is a situation when you might reach a larger audience by asking the question on the FB group. Regardless, please post back here if you find a solution. I also have a replacement card and the pocket on my vert is damaged.

Cory
      I'll report back if I find anything. No luck yet

Comment

So from some research I found dimensions for the card as well as the pocket

Dimensions: Card 8.7 x 21.8 cm (3.42 x 8.58 in), fits into a pocket in the sun visor, dimensions: 9.6 x 22 cm (3.78 x 8.66 in).

The closest match i was able to find is the below. Unfortunately, they only sell in packs of 100 at a cost of $88.

Adhesive back vinyl pockets are used everyday to add CDs, cards, manuals, and other supplemental materials to reports, binders, presentations---even walls, doors, and appliances. Our high quality 3-5/8" x 8-7/8" adhesive backed pockets boast a crystal clear 8 mil vinyl construction and permanent adhesive back that sticks to almost any flat surface.

I might see if they do samples or would do a lower quantity. Structurally it seems perfect, though I'm not sure how durable it would be dealing with a range of temps.

Comment

My vert sun visor was toasted and kept flopping down - replaced with one from a sedan.
          So I have a good visor but no plastic pocket.

Appears that the plastic pocket for vert sun visors is ultrasonically welded to the visor skin.
          That's virtually impossible for me as a DIY-er to replicate.

To have something the looks somewhat 'period correct' - considering:
          - getting a re-pro instruction card printed
          - use one of those office laminators to laminate & make weather proof
          - stick the laminated card onto the back of the sun visor (double sided tape...)

As I actually don't need to use the card - it's just for looks (and for others who don't know how to open the roof)
          E30 320i vert
          But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Originally posted by Tzantushka View Post
            My vert sun visor was toasted and kept flopping down - replaced with one from a sedan.
            So I have a good visor but no plastic pocket.

Appears that the plastic pocket for vert sun visors is ultrasonically welded to the visor skin.
            That's virtually impossible for me as a DIY-er to replicate.

To have something the looks somewhat 'period correct' - considering:
            - getting a re-pro instruction card printed
            - use one of those office laminators to laminate & make weather proof
            - stick the laminated card onto the back of the sun visor (double sided tape...)

As I actually don't need to use the card - it's just for looks (and for others who don't know how to open the roof)
            that's a solid option. I don't need it to match OEM exactly, just want it close and not to look out of place. I mainly want to cover the chunk of vinyl that's missing and figure this is the more affordable option vs buying another visor.

Comment

I don't know how well they'd hold up, but there are self adhesive photo sleeves available in 4x6 for scrapbooking. You could stick a 4x6 and then a 4x2.5" section of another end to end and, while not continuous, it would hold the card in a fairly presentable way.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                I don't know how well they'd hold up, but there are self adhesive photo sleeves available in 4x6 for scrapbooking. You could stick a 4x6 and then a 4x2.5" section of another end to end and, while not continuous, it would hold the card in a fairly presentable way.
                Decent option but I'd definitely want something continuous so I'd probably go laminated + adhesive vs 2 sleeves. Once I get the card in the mail I'll play around with some sleeves and laminate and see what works best and post where I land.

Comment

Working...
                X