Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investigating upgraded E30 tail light bulbs

E30 brothers & sisters,

I’ve never been impressed with the visibility & performance of the taillights – especially brake lights and the turn signals in daylight.

LEDs sound appealing, but we have the Check Control panel to deal with, plus the ‘fast flash’ issues with turn signals.
    Plus, I would have to navigate the large amount of cheap junk LED bulbs out there.
    Researching options, such as upgraded bulbs like the Phillips Vision Plus had mixed reviews around faster illumination time but shorter life.

Ended coming across some recommendations from Daniel Stern Lighting.
    Those following my build thread might recall I used Daniel Stern’s setup for aiming the E30 headlights for RHD.
    The results were impressive, so the guy knows his stuff.

Daniel mentioned about swapping out the regular P21W (BA15s) bulb used in our tail lights for a particular bulb from a specific manufacturer.
    It was a 3497 bulb manufactured by the Japanese company Stanley
    Specifically, a Honda OE part number 34903-SF-A01 – as Daniel mentioned that many other 3497 bulbs are junk.
    The Stanley Honda bulb suits the BA15s housing, but has 45 candle power compared to the P21W’s 32 candle power – sounds promising right?

Well, managed to track them down and on first inspection they look pretty good.

Side by side with the 3497 on the left

Same mounting detail

P21W filament

But the 3497 filament has a tighter winding and more of it

I’m no lighting expert, so will need to install half a set and take some comparison photos at dusk.​
    Last edited by Tzantushka; 02-28-2023, 02:47 AM. Reason: Spellink...
    E30 320i vert
    But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Pretty happy with the LED taillight bulbs in my E30.
    Went with all LED units, although I am going to switch the reverse lights back to regular bulbs for the warmer white colour.

Fixed the fast-flash issue with some resistors under the dash. If you search my build thread for LED the details are in there as well as pictures, including a bulb list and wiring.

Video of the turn signals in action. Definitely a safety upgrade.
    Added LED Turn Signal Bulbs to my BMW E30. Fast flash can be fixed by changing to an LED flasher module or adding load resistors.See details at my build thre...

Comment

I enjoy my cheap ebay LED reverse lights. No check/flasher that requires a resistor, and they throw a ton more light.

I like the idea of upgraded incandescent idea for the other lights though. Waiting for the side-by-side comparison pics
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
        I enjoy my cheap ebay LED reverse lights. No check/flasher that requires a resistor, and they throw a ton more light.

I like the idea of upgraded incandescent idea for the other lights though. Waiting for the side-by-side comparison pics
        Popped the bulb in the LH turn signal light.
        Can't really tell from the video when looking directly at the light, but it throws a lot more light - can see it on the concrete floor compared to the RH light.

Short video here: https://flic.kr/p/2oiYKV2
        E30 320i vert

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
          Pretty happy with the LED taillight bulbs in my E30.
          Went with all LED units, although I am going to switch the reverse lights back to regular bulbs for the warmer white colour.

Fixed the fast-flash issue with some resistors under the dash. If you search my build thread for LED the details are in there as well as pictures, including a bulb list and wiring.
          Will have a squiz.

Tempted to look at LEDs for the reverse light as they won't throw a check panel light.
          - why going back to regular bulbs? Just the warmth?

E30 320i vert

Comment

Originally posted by Tzantushka View Post

Popped the bulb in the LH turn signal light.
            Can't really tell from the video when looking directly at the light, but it throws a lot more light - can see it on the concrete floor compared to the RH light.

Great info - thanks for posting. I can see a big difference in the output of the light with the upgraded bulb. I prefer to use original style bulbs in these cars since the reflector is designed for the 360 degree output of the bulb/filament and most LED's are not set up for that type of output..

I've also found a similar upgrade for the dual filament bulb 34906-SL0-A01 that might work for the front indicators but I need to look at the pin positions a bit closer.

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post

Great info - thanks for posting. I can see a big difference in the output of the light with the upgraded bulb. I prefer to use original style bulbs in these cars since the reflector is designed for the 360 degree output of the bulb/filament and most LED's are not set up for that type of output..

I've also found a similar upgrade for the dual filament bulb 34906-SL0-A01 that might work for the front indicators but I need to look at the pin positions a bit closer.

No worries.
              And good point on the front turn signal bulbs for you N.American folks...
              That P/N looks like the 43 candlepwer / 3 candlepower option.
              Might be the BA15D base with 2x contacts for the dual filament

Seeing as we have Euro spec lighting here in Australia, we don't have that to worry about - I added them into the front indicators.
              Photos so you can see how they 'fit'.

Existing P21W globe

Stanley 3497 globe

E30 320i vert

Comment

No worries.
                And good point on the front turn signal bulbs for you N.American folks...
                That P/N looks like the 43 candlepwer / 3 candlepower option.
                Might be the BA15D base with 2x contacts for the dual filament

Seeing as we have Euro spec lighting here in Australia, we don't have that to worry about - I added them into the front indicators.
                Photos so you can see how they 'fit'.

Yes, I forgot that the ROW cars had single filament bulbs in all positions. From a bit more digging, it seems that dual filament 43cp/3cp bulb is a BA15D(1157) base pattern which means one pin is offset slightly higher than the other on the base, still at a 180deg offset. So this should work for the NA cars that originally spec'd 7528 bulbs. Need to order a set and confirm.

Comment

Tempted to look at LEDs for the reverse light as they won't throw a check panel light.
                  - why going back to regular bulbs? Just the warmth?
                  Yeah, the cold white just doesn't look right on an old car IMO.

Comment

Here are the LED bulbs I went with. These are all made by OEMs.

Stanley tail light bulbs: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Stanle.../dp/B09HJCS5R3

Stanley rear turn signal and brake light bulbs: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Stanle.../dp/B09HJTNBHX

Stanley front turn signal bulbs: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Stanle.../dp/B09HJSVSJX

PolarG (Koito) back up light bulbs: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0BC1CGRZP

IPF T10 for side lights: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Positi.../dp/B08N42YNZ1

PolarG T10 bulb color for Smiley city lights (matches halogen bulbs; if you have LED or HID headlights choose a color temp that matches): https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Indust.../dp/B07KB5FWHD

Hella LED flasher: https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-4JZ-177.../dp/B01A5IUSC6

The flasher is silent, which is nice actually. The clicking sound always kind of annoyed me lol. It's a PITA to replace though, especially if you have an airbag because you have to remove the steering wheel to take down the lower column trim piece. For the check panel just unplug it...
                    Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Yep, Daniel turned me onto these brighter Stanleys some time ago, and I used them in all my upgrade lighting kits.

Honda stopped selling them in the US a while back, but Osram/Sylvania sells a similar part number (3497 single filament, 3496 dual filament).
                      You can occasionally find them in US auto parts stores, but rarely more than a single blister pack. And it's anybody's guess if they have similar 43 cp output...

Then I got word from Daniel that he found a 'pirated source' and has them available for shipping to US addresses again! I am back using them again in my kits... in case anyone is interested, the kits add another tail AND brake light on each side. Brighter, Bigger appearance, and more reliable (redundant bulbs each side). Plus, thanks for the clear pics - see the more precise filament location in the 3497 bulb? They are 1/3 brighter, and flood the reflector with exactly the light pattern they are designed for. I wish the newer LED bulbs were as good at this! They certainly have improved output...

I still do these upgrades for both early and late style (facelift) lights. I also have the 2-filaments for front turns if you want. Just shoot me a message or email.

Andy
                      Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
                      Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
                      Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
                      Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

Half a set -- that's the way I started! I found DSL in the five series (E28) forum, and ordered enough of the Stanley bulbs to do one light... and had to explain why I was doing it that way {to compare one side against the other}. Did the same thing when he was selling the Cibie CSL headlights. Eventually I bought the 'other half' to finish the install.

I bought lots (hundreds?) of these Stanley bulbs from Daniel to use in my rear light upgrades, worth every penny. I still use them, after a period when Honda was no longer selling them.. We are again getting them via a 'pirate supply' so I am using them again!

For now, I am continuing to upgrade and sell this dual brake, dual tail conversion for early and late (facelift) E30 rear lights. Pics below show the added lights in brake and tail light functions, in daylight so not as striking as at night, but the idea is there; here is a facelift (late style) light with Stanley bulbs.

Dual tail lights, side by side, double the size, triple the output of stock.
                        Dual brake lights, 40% larger, 75% brighter than stock.
                        No check panel issues.
                        No melting lenses.
                        No blowing fuses, though BMW has a recommendation when "additional brake lights are installed" of going from 7.5A to 10A fuse.
                        This comes from an E30 Owners Manual, via a forum member (gotta love you people!).

Contact me directly with questions, or post on this thread.

Andy
                        Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.

Comment

Can someone point me in the direction of a rear turn signal bulb in amber as an upgrade more light . TIA

Comment

The available amber bulbs (glass tinted amber, 1157NA) are considerably dimmer than a clear bulb, in my experience. Plus they normally have a brass base, not the required nickel plate.
                            But first - are you looking for an amber bulb behind a clear lens, or a brighter clear bulb behind an amber lens?
                            The Stanley bulbs are 33% brighter than the standard P21 bulbs (45 vs 32 cp), and also more expensive (Pirated from Japan).

I do get these in small batches from DSL due to cost and a slowdown in my biz. If you can stand the higher cost, let me know and I'll order more.

Andy

BTW, still building the upgrade dual tail, dual brake lights for anyone who wants to "Be Seen, and Not Hurt."
                            Last edited by Mo Brighta; 10-13-2023, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo Brighta View Post
                              The available amber bulbs (glass tinted amber, 1157NA) are considerably dimmer than a clear bulb, in my experience. Plus they normally have a brass base, not the required nickel plate.
                              But first - are you looking for an amber bulb behind a clear lens, or a brighter clear bulb behind an amber lens?
                              The Stanley bulbs are 33% brighter than the standard P21 bulbs (45 vs 32 cp), and also more expensive (Pirated from Japan).

I do get these in small batches from DSL due to cost and a slowdown in my biz. If you can stand the higher cost, let me know and I'll order more.

Andy

BTW, still building the upgrade dual tail, dual brake lights for anyone who wants to "Be Seen, and Not Hurt."
                              I just ordered these . I want to put an amber bulb in it . Would rather not put an LED in it . I hope the amber bulb creates a bit of the egg yoke look in it also . I do have the triple stop light upgrade . I think I showed you last time . My buddy wired it up for me .
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X