No announcement yet.

Getting low beams to stay on???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much as it pains me I have to agree with Jordan on this one.

On my 90 which had sealed beams I connected the ellipsoid connector to the positive & negative terminals on the stock connector (after crimping a male connector I got at Radio Shack) to the wires thereby avoiding having to mess with the wiring and in order to allow me to return to stock should I need to. This worked for regular halogens and is now working with HIDs. I just removed the ellipsoid connector and connected the ballast.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
      Just pair the 2 hot wires together to feed the HID +. One is + when low beams are on, other is switched + when high beams are on.
      Could you please describe in detail what you mean, I’m unsure which wires you’re talking about.

I own an ’87 325is and last night removed the stock sealed beam headlight assembly and installed a set of euro ellipsoids. I want my low beams to stay on when I turn the high beams on. Thanks.
      - 1987 BMW 325is
      - 2002 BMW M3
      - 2003 BMW 540i Sport

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink
        As much as it pains me I have to agree with Jordan on this one.

On my 90 which had sealed beams I connected the ellipsoid connector to the positive & negative terminals on the stock connector (after crimping a male connector I got at Radio Shack) to the wires thereby avoiding having to mess with the wiring and in order to allow me to return to stock should I need to. This worked for regular halogens and is now working with HIDs. I just removed the ellipsoid connector and connected the ballast.
        Can you explain your method in a little more detail, like explaining which wires need to where...I'm still a little confused on your description...

On my high beams, I have the 2 white/blue wires tied together for the + terminal and the brown for the -

On my low beams, I have the brown on the -, and one of the wires on the + can't remember which color, and the other tied off.

Thanks!

Comment

Both + wires on the lowbeam must be tied together. All that need be done!

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

i have a 91' 318is w/ us ellips and when i put the 2 other wires on the lows together then the lows won't turn on and then when I hit the highs the low's fuses blow?!?!
            ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

OK I'll give it a try...

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer
                i have a 91' 318is w/ us ellips and when i put the 2 other wires on the lows together then the lows won't turn on and then when I hit the highs the low's fuses blow?!?!
                may be a difference between our cars (87's) and yours...

Comment

anyone know how to make my lows stay on. My highs are REALLY bright as it is but the lows would help fill out the road some.
                  ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Well first post what year car you have, and if you want a clean factory like mod, or just a hack job quicky.
                    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer
                      Originally posted by rs4pro3
                      Well first post what year car you have, and if you want a clean factory like mod, or just a hack job quicky.
                      the cleaner the better but right now I would just be happy w/ them working

Comment

91 318iS is different then a 87. My mod only applies to early sealed beam cars.

Comment

91 318iS is different then a 87. My mod only applies to early sealed beam cars.
                          I tried your method last night and now both the low and high beam go on and off at the same time...what's up?

Comment

You are doing something wrong then.

Comment

You are doing something wrong then.
                              Well obviously somethings wrong, but I did exactly what you said to do from your "experience" and it doesn't work. I connected the 2 + wires to the low beam. After thinking about this, it would only make sence that the high beam would go on, because by doing this I created a direct feed to the + terminal on the high beam when the low beam is on...

Anyone that could help me out with this?

Comment

Sigh... beyond help, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X