X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Output lights - part 2, more options

Originally posted by Self Made View Post
    Hit up Mo Brighta ...
    I guess I forgot to point out that the same technique can be applied to add a single extra light each side - tail OR brake, or rear fogs, or ??? It's less complicated and less money than the extra tail AND brake. Hey, it's something... I have discovered lots of ways to improve these lights, to help you Be Seen, and Not Hurt.

I also should mention that if you would like brighter lights without any rewiring or 'trickery' at all, I can send you a set of HO bulbs, as many as you like, that are perfectly safe, nominal wattage, nickel base, increase output by 33% (brake, turn, reverse) or by 150% (tail). Easy as changing a bulb.

Only thing I DON'T have (yet) is HO center brake for the convertibles. I'll look into it if you really want me to, just ask. Email is faster and better, PM is OK too.

Andy
    Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
    Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
    Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
    Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

I just added LED bulbs in the fog spots as extra brake lights, no fuse popping. :up: I can see that it lights up things behind me much brighter. :up:
      -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
      08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
      318iS, slow build/garage queen...
      '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
      Originally posted by roguetoaster
      Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Any ideas where to get the metal clip thingys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ijl View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I (cough) soldered wires directly to the bulbs (cough)
          -Christian

Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by Ijl View Post
            Ask someone parting out their car if they have an extra taillight backplate.

The idea with LED is that it will never go out, so in theory there's no issue with soldering directly to the bulb. Plus the connection will never corrode

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
              Attaboy.

I'm planning on doing this soon myself. Too many ignorant stupid people on phones or not paying attention... I have nightmares about getting my beautiful car plowed into at a stop sign. Planning on soldering right to the bulb myself. and since LED's come in a 3 pack (Dafuqizat?) at my local autozone, I'll have one left over for the center mount light too
              (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
                I have nightmares about getting my beautiful car plowed into at a stop sign.
                You too huh? The last few times I've woken up in a cold sweat it was a dream about having whatever car I was driving destroyed by someone... Driving my truck and getting T boned in intersections when I have the green, getting rearended while sitting at a redlight in my e30, Driving my dream e46 M3 (AW3/Cinn/6mt/coupe) and having concrete fall on the hood from somewhere... Crap like that. Literally the only dreams I remember are like that, my things wrecked by idiots.
                -Christian

Comment

Hey, no need to be embarrased, it's your car! If you can solder, certainly you can un-solder when the time comes to replace one. And with LED lamps, that may be never. Just hope you can find a suitable replacement.

Hell, BMW solders for reliability. What's wrong with that? NOTHING.

Last request - pics! I am always eager to see what the driver following me will see when a new style lamp is installed... I believe it should be brighter than the lamp it replaces. We've all seen the approach with a small round dot of light in a large, dark rectangle of lens. I prefer the large bright rectangle, and if the newer LEDs throw light at the entire reflector instead of just straight back, then there's hope.

Please take pics when it's all done, thanks!
                  Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
                    Attaboy.

I'm planning on doing this soon myself. Too many ignorant stupid people on phones or not paying attention...
                    Amen to that!

Maybe they were thinking of you when they made a three-pack, most cars now have three brake lights.

I would love to see the pattern of the LED from Autozone, specifically where they shine - how many, which directions? With a reflector and old style bulb that shines in 'all directions' you get what we have, an evenly lighted lens. There are so many variations of LED lamp out there, with different numbers, brightness, and configurations... if you come up with a good answer, maybe others will want to upgrade to these as well?

The best rear end collision is the one you avoid!

Comment

Originally posted by Mo Brighta View Post
                      Amen to that!

Maybe they were thinking of you when they made a three-pack, most cars now have three brake lights.

I would love to see the pattern of the LED from Autozone, specifically where they shine - how many, which directions? With a reflector and old style bulb that shines in 'all directions' you get what we have, an evenly lighted lens. There are so many variations of LED lamp out there, with different numbers, brightness, and configurations... if you come up with a good answer, maybe others will want to upgrade to these as well?

The best rear end collision is the one you avoid!
                      Well, when i finish it up, I'll be sure to post everything right here. and include the part number on the bulbs. I'm excited to do this actually, for saftey's sake. plus I know this mod will look great in that tail light you sent me ;) Thanks Andrew!!!

--Mike
                      (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Always thought and considered adding a flashing brake light module in the 3rd brake light. Mo brighta or anyone else have any insight on how i can go about that?

Comment

Originally posted by yungmike View Post
                          Always thought and considered adding a flashing brake light module in the 3rd brake light. Mo brighta or anyone else have any insight on how i can go about that?
                          http://http://www.amazon.com/FLASHER.../dp/B0036RFLR6amazon, two wires in, two out. Pretty cheap too, under 30 bucks
                          -Christian

Comment

^What he said. Seeing these on lots of cars these days, or maybe I just NOTICE them ... some bikes, too. Anything to draw attention to a cycle, they have (I had) a tough enough time out there as it is.

I'll have a look at the amazon one, maybe something I would offer in conjunction with the rear light upgrades?

http://http://www.amazon...FLASHER-MODULE...

(DER E30's link repaired)
                            Last edited by Mo Brighta; 03-20-2015, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Bumping an old thread at the request of 2mAn.

See the attached picture showing how I wired my rear fog lights as additional brake lights.
                              Wire and terminal were sourced from a spare bulb holder.

Note that I am using LED brake light bulbs, which reduces current draw.
                              Using all traditional bulbs would double the load on factory wiring with this modification, so attempt at your own risk.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Panici; 07-23-2019, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Back on the front burner... a good idea

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                                Bumping an old thread at the request of 2mAn.

See the attached picture showing how I wired my rear fog lights as additional brake lights. Wire and terminal were sourced from a spare bulb holder.
                                Best way to do it - use factory parts to take advantage of the idiotic DOT regulation that forbids a rear fog light.

Too bad we can't get the terminals in bulk from Startec! Every busted-up E30 light I come across in any parts yard gets a terminal-ectomy, which I then put to good use in another E30's tails. each pair of broken back covers will allow 4 other cars to get this upgrade. 99% of the time folks need the lens anyway, so when the lens is busted, the back side goes begging.

Note that I am using LED brake light bulbs, which reduces current draw. Using all traditional bulbs would double the load on factory wiring with this modification, so attempt at your own risk.
                                Bravo, and again this is the right way to do it, as long as the results are highly visible - If I might ask, which LED Light bulbs are you employing?

Andy

Comment

Working...
                                X