Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got Bass? Spring box build is here! E34s too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pussy30
    replied
    Luke, I was PMing you a little while ago about putting together a little system. Recently we had to get rid of our harmon kardon home theater system and I pulled the 10" woofer from the bottom of the sub box. It really doesnt have any markings on it but it looks in perfect condition. Any chance I could use it?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    Dude, maybe you should drop $50 on one of these Obcons. They do come in DVC. The cone mass is quoted as about half the Infinity, and has a bigger motor to boot.

Light cone mass means a bigger box, but they sound awesome in my boxes. What it really relates to is a quicker response, so the bass is tighter and cleaner. I wish you could hear mine, I run that fucker up to 100Hz, even 125Hz and it stays nice and clean, very "forward" localization.

I am sure you knew all that, but some other readers might not understand the importance of Mms

Leave a comment:

• Wh33lhop
    replied
    I am very impressed with my $60 Infinity. Luke isn't fucking around when he says it is great in the 10" box. Not only with bass heavy music, but any genre... kick drums, bass guitars, it enhances everything and does a good job of it.

I would still like to switch to a more SQ oriented sub in the future, but I am impressed with the little Reference and especially with the 10" box and the trunk space it leaves.

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    See? Wait until you hear that beast!

Leave a comment:

• NeoMishMoo
    replied
    Just got my 12" OBCON in and man is it a beast. Can't wait to hook it up, unfortunately there was a late train or something so no box today, but should be here tomorrow. The UPS delivery person isn't going to be happy with my 3rd floor apartment address...

Leave a comment:

• ck_taft325is
    replied
    Well, $18.78 here in WA.

$15.00 if you're me.

Or also a slave to "a" big box company.

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    It still ventilates the seat better, but yeah, it is not essential.

BTW: use a Lenox brand hole saw if you can, about $15 at Home Depot or Lowes or whatever.

Leave a comment:

• NeoMishMoo
    replied
    Price is good on that drill set, wonder if quality is any good though...

I'll probably do the cutting myself, I just don't wanna eff it up. Kind of a one time shot.

Oh yeah but with the 12" boxes there really isnt much a point to put the bass ports through the seat is there? That would probably serve a better purpose on the 10" boxes since the only porting is behind the seat anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Winning
    replied
    Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
    They are absolutely essential...if you is scared, hire a pro, seriously. Most shops would charge about $40ish to cut 2 3 1/2" holes there
    or save 30 dollars and just buy the right tool for the job

http://www.amazon.com/DRILL-BIT-SET-...0383204&sr=1-9

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    They are absolutely essential...if you is scared, hire a pro, seriously. Most shops would charge about $40ish to cut 2 3 1/2" holes there

Leave a comment:

• NeoMishMoo
    replied
    I think people are scared of cutting those holes in their rear deck, maybe if you offer to ship the hole saw with the box and let us borrow it and then return it to you.'

Honestly I'm a little nervous about cutting those holes, how much awesomeness would be lost if the ports didn't come out of the rear deck?

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    Guys, still 1 12" box left...someone has to want big bass!

Leave a comment:

• darrenforeal
    replied
    Originally posted by stereoinstaller1 View Post
    darren, wait until it breaks in! 5 hours is a good start, wait until it has 10 hours or so of good heavy use...it only gets better.

:D:p:D

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    Darren, wait until it breaks in! 5 hours is a good start, wait until it has 10 hours or so of good heavy use...it only gets better.

Leave a comment:

• darrenforeal
    replied
    Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
    Havent picked an amp yet. I have a slightly vintage Kenwood amp that from talking to Luke would be ok to power the sub but i would need to find a matching 4 channel Kenwood for the rest of the system. Im leaning towards buying a reasonable 5 channel amp and selling the old one but im not sure of the drawbacks.
    I tend to be an audio snob. But when something sounds good it sounds good. If you can't afford Zapco or Arc Audio etc. Go with something like Jenson. I got a mono channel one for the Obcon and I love it. Check out his Jenson 5 channel if you must have rear speakers. Also if you get the DVC Obcon you can wire it in to 2ohms and get 250 on that last channel.

If you ditch the rear fill you can just get a 4 channel and bridge 3 &4 to the sub. From what I have heard this sub would function best around 230 to 270W. But like Luke says it sounds great at 190. I can also say that in Lukes box, with 290 from the Jenson I have, the Obcon is loud, accurate, dynamic, punchy and powerful. What more could you want?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X