No announcement yet.

Premium Speaker - Rear (Replacements)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know exactly how new premium replacement units sound, but they are likely just old Nokia or Harman Kardon units, and there isn't much special about them from anything I have seen. So, if I were you I wouldn't spend $100/ea on some old speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      I don't know exactly how new premium replacement units sound, but they are likely just old Nokia or Harman Kardon units, and there isn't much special about them from anything I have seen. So, if I were you I wouldn't spend $100/ea on some old speakers.
      How are they old if the label says "Made in Hungary"?

There was no real development in speaker technologies for decades. Only very expensive speakers have fancy labels: "beryllium", "space materials", but don't provide significant advances.

Only foam and cones rot in old speakers, but there are refoam and recone kits.

5 1/4" speakers won't provide deep bass because the size matters.
      Actually, there are not that many single-cone 5 1/4" speakers on the market.

Comment

Not sure if age and Made in Hungary necessarily relate, but if it said W. Germany, we'd know.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew325is View Post

So how is the sound of the new premium speakers? I see a lot of love for the OEM Premium speakers, but old units off ebay seem a roll of the dice...so price aside, are the new 65131386546 now the best choice for an e30? Cheers!
          I really like them but I would say it’s a hard guarantee that used ones are probably blown and will need replaced. But on my current build and this point I’m time it left me for more.

To be realistic I think the oem speaker powered correctly fills the car pretty well considering size and design. The only cure to fill the lust for more bass will be a woofer period.

4 of the same size speakers can’t fill it all, not even 6.5’s

The car isn’t complete and I never listened to original non blown speakers in the same configuration as the new ones are in. So, I’m not sure if new replacements sound as good as originals. But I’m not disappointed considering their size.

I have a 300w alpine amp all in one sub going in the truck that is 13lbs with box, this should help the smaller speakers do their work.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Cheers...yeah no doubt trying to rely on the 5 1/4 in the kick panel will be a struggle...but at the moment I'm just looking for the best drop in option. I suspect the reason the OEM Premium speakers are highly regarded (at least among 5 1/4 options) is they probably are just the biggest (bottom end-wise) that fit. I was reading 5 1/4 reviews, and everything that performed the best looks to be too deep for the kick panels. So while "better" new options exist in theory, they are no good if they are too deep. So maybe the new 65131386546 at ~$100 are just the best way to go.

Comment

Working...
            X