blower motor /resister replacement pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pf330ci View Post
    Ok...i am trying to get my motor out, but i can't get that damn clip to come out that is holding the motor in...any tips? I have tried prying, pulling, pushing, I even put some wire behind to pull on it. What am i doing wrong??
    Yea that clip is a PITA. I had the most luck with getting a flat head screwdriver under the clip where the center of the blower motor is and twisting. It took a few tries but eventually the clip popped off for me.

Keep at it and eventually it'll give.

Comment

Originally posted by kts View Post
      Yea that clip is a PITA. I had the most luck with getting a flat head screwdriver under the clip where the center of the blower motor is and twisting. It took a few tries but eventually the clip popped off for me.

Keep at it and eventually it'll give.
      I'll give that a try tomorrow...I had to give up for tonight.

Comment

Get some pliars like this this and grab the bottom of the clip, one jaw on the pass side, one jaw on the drivers side and pull down on it. Screwdriver just mangles up the area where it clips to.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
        Originally posted by blunttech
        I need you to exfoliate my ballsack
        Build Thread?

Comment

ACM brand?

Hi, super old thread. I have to do my blower motor in the 325e. What is the consensus on the ACM motor, vs. the Behr. ACM is considerably less expensive. Or do I need to spring for the OG BMW version?

Thanks!

Comment

personally, it's enough of a pain in the ass job to do - I wouldn't want to do it twice. Online ratings aren't always accurate but that 3 star rating on the cheap one wouldn't give me warm fuzzys.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Nando, exactly! That's why I'm asking. ;) I'd love to save some money though!

I have to do one on an e36 as well. I understand e30's are easier, no?

Comment

don't know, never done it on an E36. It's not *that* bad but I thought it was harder than the wiper arm replacement. It might just be the M20 though, the motor doesn't really clear the manifold very well - I did one on an M42 car and it was much easier.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Cool, maybe I should do that valve adjustment I've been meaning to do at the same time, while I've got all that stuff loose. ;) Thanks!

Comment

You can find the Behr for 200. I think I got mine from bavauto last year.

This job isn't hard on a regular m20 car. I've removed mine a few times. It gets hung up on the intake manifold initially so you have to turn it a certain way to get it free.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Cool. I got the ACM for $223 with tax from Pelican, who apparently had to source from WorldPac. Otherwise it would have been $25 cheaper. I used to have access to WorldPac through a friend. That was nice.

The ACM comes with a pigtail on one of the electrical connections (both male), which you need to convert it to female, like the original motor had.

Did the job yesterday. One thing I would have done differently is to have tied up the metal clamp straight away (like I've seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PyjOwnZH8o), in order to see where it goes. I let it fall out of where-ever it clips at the back of the motor and assumed it went where there is a metal strip riveted in. Well, I didn't have enough slack to clip the motor in when I got it all together, so I had to pull it out and put it back a couple of times to figure it out. Didn't get any pics, sorry. Otherwise it was straight forward and not too much of a pain. I have an ETA and seems like there's more stuff in the way with the cold start valve and mount for flywheel sensors on the valve cover. Just more stuff to take apart and tie up.

Also discovered that one of my fresh air/recirc flaps isn't working. You can see them on the sides of the fan housing once the firewall panel is off. By the time I figured that out, I was done with the motor and couldn't see taking it back apart. Isn't there a little motor under the dash for that, IIRC? I just left it closed manually.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by GoldMember; 03-30-2016, 11:11 AM.

Comment

the plastic tab has probably broken off of the rod that opens and closes the flap. I assume at this point they are broken on most E30s. I epoxied mine back together and as far as I know, its still working.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Cool, thanks for the reply on that. I'm probably not going back in there anytime soon though. :)

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            the plastic tab has probably broken off of the rod that opens and closes the flap. I assume at this point they are broken on most E30s. I epoxied mine back together and as far as I know, its still working.
                            On yours, which side broke? The one on the flap, or the one under the dash?

Comment

Thanks for the DIY - needed to pull the blower motor and the photos here were helpful!

Comment

Great thread - thanks for the DIY and pics!

With the pics, the job is not at all complicated; the challenge now is that the parts may be so stuck in there after sitting unmoved for so long, that it might take enough force to move them you'd be worried about breaking something or have you thinking that you are attempting to moving things in the wrong direction.

In my case, I could not get the blower motor resistor to move more than a few mm by pulling with fingers even when reaching behind it and reefing, and I eventually had to grab the resistor with pliers and pull to get it out. I thought the old plastic might break, but it did not.

The blower motor clip was a bear to undo. "Click" thanks for the post suggesting to use the channel lock pliers. I was not able to loosen it that way, but the post did help make it clear that you simply pull or pry the bottom of the clip down, so I ended up just using a screwdriver and twisting to pry the end of the clip down and out. It took a ridiculous amount of force to pry the clip out (maybe because it hasn't moved in ~27 years?), but prying it out didn't seem to mangle anything severely.

Comment

Working...
                                X