Great write up!

Leave a comment:

• Ceeker
    replied
    OMG where are the R3V cops when you need em..LOL

Leave a comment:

• RagtopE30
    replied
    Sorry for the delay on the VDO gauge. Due to weather conditions (SNOW) I am unable to get to my storage unit where the VDO gauge resides. As soon as I am able to retrieve it I will add the DIY on the VDO. Thanks for the understanding and patience!

Leave a comment:

• RagtopE30
    replied
    Originally posted by browntown View Post
    ok enough commentary on legalities. lets see the vdo writeup!

VDO writeup will be added to the original post by the weekend. Once again my way of doing it is the least intrusive in my opinion. Thanks for the support on the thread!
    Last edited by RagtopE30; 01-05-2011, 06:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• browntown
    replied
    ok enough commentary on legalities. lets see the vdo writeup!

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by Need4Speed1299 View Post
    Nice write up, however this is VERY important to know when doing this.

TAMPERING WITH THE ODOMETER IS A CRIME. You are required by law, when selling a car, to provide accurate odometer information. Even when doing an engine swap, the miles are on the chassis.

HOWEVER.. in some places you can swap an odometer with another one, and adjust the odometer back to where its supposed to be.
    yes, but I think this is the key point that you may have missed:

with intent to defraud

Leave a comment:

• McGyver
    replied
    i'm planning on doing this to my '91. The title says 211xxxmi and the odometer says 205xxxmi and is broken. i guess it'll just show my miles.

Leave a comment:

• george graves
    replied
    That's cool. Very good how-to!

Leave a comment:

• RagtopE30
    replied
    Originally posted by george graves View Post
    I'm no layer, but the crime is the intent.

BTW, my odo read 2500 miles or so. Come arrest me. ;)

Oh - and you can do with without taking the needle off. All you need to do is wiggle out one of the gear axles(for the small row of gears) out enough to get some slack on the gears. Then you can roll them back - but you might have to desolder the motor or something to get there.
    I know there are probably other ways of doing it but I was going for the way that a person doesnt have to mess with the delicate gears or solder anything.

Leave a comment:

• Ryann
    replied
    Originally posted by george graves View Post
    I'm no layer
    Sleep standing up? A monk?

Leave a comment:

• george graves
    replied
    I'm no layer, but the crime is the intent.

BTW, my odo read 2500 miles or so. Come arrest me. ;)

Oh - and you can do with without taking the needle off. All you need to do is wiggle out one of the gear axles(for the small row of gears) out enough to get some slack on the gears. Then you can roll them back - but you might have to desolder the motor or something to get there.

Leave a comment:

• RagtopE30
    replied
    Same in NC, if its older than 10yrs old the mileage is left blank.

Leave a comment:

• browntown
    replied
    Depends on the state I think. My title has no mileage requirement since the car is over ten years old. My title shows no mileage at transfer. Just date and name. That's how Oregon works at least. Even if the odometer is broken or has exceeded the mechanical limits, they just note it on the title if you choose to disclose that. Cars under 10 years old, they used to walk out to your car to read the odometer, but I don't even think they bother with that anymore.

As for George's mattress. If you read the fine print on the tags, it says it is permissible for the owner to remove the tags. That analogy has always bothered me.

Leave a comment:

• george graves
    replied
    Originally posted by Need4Speed1299 View Post
    TAMPERING WITH THE ODOMETER IS A CRIME.
    Good fucking god man. Chill with the font.

with intent to defraud,
    It's not a crime if you aren't defrauding someone. Jeeze...do you also not tear the tags off the mattress?

Leave a comment:

• RagtopE30
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryann View Post
    Looks to me like the law specifically states that it's only illegal in the case of mal-intent, or is undisclosed. No biggie.

Great write up OP!
    Thanks, it is nice to have some support! LOL

Leave a comment:

Working...
X