Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a registered respiratory therapist, which, yes... I am; this thread should be a warning to anyone doing anything around hydrocarbons.

Hydrocarbons that contain a benzene ring, which virtually all do, (or else they arent hydrocarbons) are one of the worst chemicals to inhale. What OP is experiencing is a chemical pneumonitis which can lead to a serious pulmonary infection, or worse, permanent damage to the upper and lower airways. If you get too big a whiff of this type of chemical in a vaporized form it can penetrate very deeply into the airways and is very toxic to the delicate tissues.

Frankly, this isn't a topic for joking around. Nor is it something to be taken lightly. Need to be very careful when working around any hydrocarbons that might vaporize and be inhaled. I understand that the bumper shock oil is a different type of compound hydrocarbon and is very toxic. It isn't just normal motor oil.
    sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Originally posted by txtorquemade View Post
      As a registered respiratory therapist, which, yes... I am; this thread should be a warning to anyone doing anything around hydrocarbons.

Hydrocarbons that contain a benzene ring, which virtually all do, (or else they arent hydrocarbons) are one of the worst chemicals to inhale. What OP is experiencing is a chemical pneumonitis which can lead to a serious pulmonary infection, or worse, permanent damage to the upper and lower airways. If you get too big a whiff of this type of chemical in a vaporized form it can penetrate very deeply into the airways and is very toxic to the delicate tissues.

Frankly, this isn't a topic for joking around. Nor is it something to be taken lightly. Need to be very careful when working around any hydrocarbons that might vaporize and be inhaled.

How high will it get me?
      feedback?!

4x100 32mm Wheel Spacers $70 Shipped

Comment

OP, so did you die or are you getting better?
        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I am still having some small issues. My throat swelling up, fever. But for the most part its gone. I feel a ton better. Heres a pic of the bumper tucked.

Rear will be tucked this week.

Originally posted by StewStewIloveyouyou
          hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys
          And am making my life with you guy too. ;)

Comment

When I tucked my bumpers on my 1st e30, i ended up getting a 1,000,000 psi
            spray right into my hair....that sucked =(

For new-comers to doing this...wear a helmet with a full face visor!
            Silence is Golden, Duct Tape is Silver
            Duct Tape...turning No No No into Mmm Mmm Mmm since 1942

Comment

Almost dying for compressed aluminum bumpered e30... no thanks
              Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

Originally posted by txtorquemade View Post

Hydrocarbons that contain a benzene ring, which virtually all do, (or else they arent hydrocarbons) are one of the worst chemicals to inhale.
                So they don't require first term OChem to become an RT?

A hydrocarbon is just a compound that contains solely carbon and hydrogen. Benzene is a hydrocarbon, but not all hydrocarbons contain benzene; only one does... benzene. I highly doubt that there was any benzene or phenyl compounds at all in the shock oil. It was most likely long-chain hydrocarbons.

Regardless, inhaling any hydrophobic compound is pretty hazardous.
                Originally posted by Gruelius
                and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

I blame Ronald Reagan.

Comment

Did anyone else, who's tucked bumpers before, burst into laughter after reading the beginning of the story?

I imagine this happening to everyone doing this for the first time. Luckily for me, I was outside and had some idea of how hydrolic shocks work, so I avoided the disaster, but was still caught by surprise.

Comment

I know this is an old thread but I'm sorry I just couldn't help laughing..though relieved that you're ok...I think??? it is July now..
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bene View Post
                        I blame Ronald Reagan.
                        Don't you know it's Bush's fault? :D I hear about all the pressure and now realize why my car had no damage when that Jeep backed into me. :drink:

Comment

Yeah so I have asthma now. That fluid destroyed my lungs.

I keep trying to workout thinking I'll get over it. After a couple months I still can't run/workout for more than 10 minutes at a time. I get so out of breath I almost pass out. Rad.

Originally posted by StewStewIloveyouyou
                          hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys
                          And am making my life with you guy too. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by zxert View Post
                            Yeah so I have asthma now. That fluid destroyed my lungs.

I keep trying to workout thinking I'll get over it. After a couple months I still can't run/workout for more than 10 minutes at a time. I get so out of breath I almost pass out. Rad.
                            For real? That sucks, bro. Have you got a professional opinion of your outlook for the future? Is it something that will go back to normal?
                            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

That's bad!

I remember 4 years ago I tucked the bumpers as well, but what I did is put the shocks inside a cardboard box....drilled a hole through the box and covered stuff with some old rags so that nothing would come out. Not worth the risks etc.
                              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

the worst of the story is- the car doesn't even look better.
                                hope you do get better though.

Comment

Working...
                                X