Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your handiest tools

Hey everyone,

I'm just starting to undertake DIY projects on my e30, and I've started to order parts and tools. As I'm going through this process, I keep coming to this forum to check on what tools people recommend, but I haven't found a consolidated list of recommendations. Essentially a "starter kit." So here's what I've got and what I'm planning on getting... any recommendations for specs and brands would be super helpful!
    1. Soldering iron - I picked up the Weller SP23LK Marksman 25 Watt Soldering Iron Kit from Amazon
    2. American Terminal AT-31604 60-40 Rosin Core Solder
    3. Wire crimper/striper - any specific brands or specs?
    4. Multimeter - I hear Flukes are the best, but Extech, RSR, Equus, and Mastech are also good.
    5. Heat gun & shrink wrap - No idea what to look for
    6. BMW specific tools?

Any recommendations would be great!
    sigpic

https://www.facebook.com/Lego.e30

PD Blaster

Comment

+1 on the PB Blaster

I just buy tools as needed. works well for me. That said, I couldn't live without my breaker bar. 90% of the time all you need for a DIY project is a set of metric sockets (3/8in) and a set of metric combination wrenches. I bought a set of Greatneck wrenches from autozone and that's what I've been using for the past 3yrs.

Comment

Animal Kotulak multi tool

Comment

When I started wrenching I got a craftsman kit. I think it came with like 260 pieces or something. It was only like 200 bucks or something. It came with a set or metric and standard wrenches and 1/4 3/8 1/2 sockets with deep and short well 6points and 12points. Has 3 ratchets also. I still use the sockets pretty much everyday and I have no complaint. And for a multimeter the only thing you would need it for is testing continuity and 12 volts and a $20 craftsman will do fine, no need for a fluke or anything special.

If your just starting a set of torches might be out of your price range but I've found that a "bernzomatic torch" helps out and lowes and home depot have them cheap

Hope this helps for you
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

CraftsMan 3/8" Drive Flex Head extra long ratchet
            CHEAP REBUILT INJECTORS

Need Quality Brakes? BimmerBrakes has it!
            For anything Else go with BluntTech!

Comment

Bfh

Comment

A 3/8" socket extension, that locks the socket to the extension. Or "Ball swivel" sparkplug sockets. These items are spendy, but if you do enough work they save on frustration.

Comment

8, 10 and 13mm gearwrenches
                  cars beep boop

Comment

By far, the handiest tool I own is an air compressor.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

1/2" electric impact.

Comment

My hands.

BUY MY WHEELS! BBS E50s!!
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=275407

Originally posted by Lurker27
                        Any man will tell you being blown is better than being stroked.

Comment

Originally posted by LicensedToM View Post
                          3. Wire crimper/striper - any specific brands or specs?
                          4. Multimeter - I hear Flukes are the best, but Extech, RSR, Equus, and Mastech are also good.
                          5. Heat gun & shrink wrap - No idea what to look for
                          Automatic strippers cost a bit more but make stripping wires SO much simpler. Radio Shack has a good one for the cheapest I've found - $18 (also has a crimper built in).

For shrink wrap, I've found heat shrink butt connectors to be amazing. No soldering needed.

Anybody have suggestions on multimeters? I'm a total noob at this.
                          1990 BMW 325i Coupe

Comment

only handy if you work on bmws. But if you do work on bmw's it's quite handy!

Comment

I take this Kobalt set with me any time i go parts hunting, takes up very minimal space and it goes on sale regularly for $20 (regularly $40)

also they have a wrench set with matching sizes for $20.

there are so many tools i use/love/need, i buy tools just about every week when i make my trip to lowes/depot/sears/HF

Comment

Working...
                              X