Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To: Coilovers and strut tube modification (with pictures!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To: Coilovers and strut tube modification (with pictures!)

I just finished doing the driver's side strut tube and coilover assembly. I took some pictures of the process and i'm going to outline what needs to be done from start to finish. Unfortunately, to do this yourself, you'll need some pricey tools (cut-off saw, welder, grinders, sawzall, etc).

First, we need to remove the spring perch. I used a sawzall with bi-metal blades to accomplish this. I would also suggest using this method as it was VERY easy:

You'll also want to grind down what's left of the spring perch. I used a dremel with a sanding drum attachment. I think there are better ways to do this since it took a while. It might have just been the shitty sanding drums I was using:

This is the point of no return:

Ever wanted to know what your strut tube looks like on the inside? Didn't think so...:

Prepping the strut tube for welding:

I removed 1" of metal from the tube in order to make use of the shocks which are 4" shorter. I decided to go with 1" because its easier to remove more later than try to put it back. In order to secure the shock properly in the tube, i'll need to add in a 3" spacer (shock is 4" shorter, so I remove 1" from strut tube and use a spacer to take up the rest of the length difference):

I prepped both pieces for welding and used a magnetic jig to align the 2 pieces of tube. I then made a few tack welds, removed the jig, and welded all the way around:

This is after I welded. I wish the picture wasn't so blurry, but you get the idea. You can see the adjustable sleeve support (new perch) on the bottom of the picture. I wish there was a little more to it (its just a piece of pipe), but I guess it gets the job done:

Regardless of how much material you remove from the strut tube, you must always ensure that the top of the adjustable sleeve is flush with the top of the tube. This gives you a reference point of where to weld the support ring (new perch). In order to fit the support ring in the right place, I had to grind my weld down and "press" the ring over the weld. I initially thought there was a much better way to do this, but having the support ring "pressed" onto the weld area functioned as a jig so I could make my tack welds. Its just time consuming to grind the weld down:

This is after I welded the ring on with the adjustable sleeve in place. It just sits on top of the ring:

Here is the spacer I made. Its 1/8" thick tubing cut to approximately 3":

I slid the spacer and shock into the tube. I then bolted it all down with a stock holding nut:

Unfortunately, the stock holding nut is too large for the 60MM ID springs. I had to grind it down in order to use it. I'm gonna look into getting a smaller nut since its still very close:

This is the "finished" assembled product:

This is with the assembly semi-mounted to the car:

I put the assembly in a vise and mounted a wheel to get an idea of what the clearance would be like. The example is of a stock 195/65/14 wheel and tire. The wheels/tires I will be using are 16x8 20MM offset and 245/45/16. I'm expecting to do LOTS of fender rolling and a 10mm spacer:
    Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
    '99 M3 / Track Car
    '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
    '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

Great writeup!
    Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
    EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
    FullOpp Stickers for sale!
    NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
    Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Good looking write with great pictures! Damnit.. I need to learn how to weld.

Comment

TIG Welder?

If it's TIG, it's not that difficult. Little practice, and it'll be straight forward. It's steel too, so it's not a bitch to weld.
        - Sean Hayes

Comment

Nice but I think you have the adjuster nut on upside down:)
          Here is my setup

Same stuff as the ireland and TcKline setup, just a different color adjuster nut.(ignore the scuffed paint, I had to cut the sleeves down to fit, and used the nut as a guide for the hack saw)
          85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Ely is right - your adjuster is upside down.
            Current Cars
            2014 M235i
            2009 R56 Cooper S
            1998 M3
            1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Sean
              TIG Welder?

If it's TIG, it's not that difficult. Little practice, and it'll be straight forward. It's steel too, so it's not a bitch to weld.

I MIG'd that. Thanks for the compliment :D
              Michael Spiegle

'99 M3 / Track Car

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin Kid
                Good looking write with great pictures! Damnit.. I need to learn how to weld.
                Its SOOO not hard. I was all ready to take the welding class at my local college, but their schedule for upcomming semester didn't work for me. I decided to just get the welder and learn on my own. I got the Lincoln Electric SP-175 (MIG Welder). Its a VERY good unit and i've only been welding for a couple weeks. I have someone who's been giving me advice on welding and i'm coming along pretty well. The weld is so strong that I could put that strut tube in a hydraulic press, bend it at a 90 degree angle, and it won't even crack/break!
                Michael Spiegle

'99 M3 / Track Car

Comment

Originally posted by rs4pro3
                  Nice but I think you have the adjuster nut on upside down:)
                  Here is my setup

Same stuff as the ireland and TcKline setup, just a different color adjuster nut.(ignore the scuffed paint, I had to cut the sleeves down to fit, and used the nut as a guide for the hack saw)

DAMNIT! I knew it. I was going to call TCK and ask them about that, but I guess no need :D

Does your spring have a really tight fit on that little nub on the adjuster nut? That's the only reason I put it on backwards... it was a really tight fit.
                  Michael Spiegle

'99 M3 / Track Car

Comment

It's pretty tight but not super tight, but I'm ussing 2.5" springs. Ireland and Tc-Kline don't actualy make those parts, I believe they just buy them from the same supplier I did and cut the adjusters to length. (they use 3 holes for the spanner wrench and a little nylon tipped setscrew correct?)

Comment

It's pretty tight but not super tight, but I'm ussing 2.5" springs. Ireland and Tc-Kline don't actualy make those parts, I believe they just buy them from the same supplier I did and cut the adjusters to length. (they use 3 holes for the spanner wrench and a little nylon tipped setscrew correct?)
                      Interesting... i'm using 60mm springs which are smaller than 2.5". Yes, my adjuster is as you described. Maybe that's why i'm having so much trouble making it fit? I'll ask TCK and make sure.

I also didn't know that set screw was nylon tipped... I was worried about it gouging the threading on the sleeve, but I guess they got that covered :)
                      Michael Spiegle

'99 M3 / Track Car

Comment

Oh, and just as an FYI - TCK openly admits that they don't make the camber plates/coilover sleeves. They tell you that they get them from IE because it wouldn't be feasible to have their own custom ones mades. Would cost lots more $$$. The only thing I got from TCK (which doesn't actually come from them) are the shocks/springs. They might make their RSMs, but i'm not sure... might be an IE part too.
                        Michael Spiegle

'99 M3 / Track Car

Comment

GOOD Stuff!!! I'll end up doing this later

MIG is easy. Trust me. As my welding teacher once told me " a monkey can mig weld."
                          Took me like 5mins to master it. Haha
                          Now TIG took some time to getting used to. I shock myself a couple of times.

BTW Sean TIG isn't for steel welding.;)
                          -Frank
                          1987 325is m50nv (schwarz)
                          1990 325is (sterling silber)(sold)
                          2001 525i

Comment

Ya, I believe Ireland dosn't make them either as the stuff looks identical to the ones I purchased from another company, ya my set screws have little nylon tips on them, pretty nice if I might add :) The supplier has the adjusters for both size springs I believe, I know for the 2.5 they had both the gold, and black adjuster nuts. A lot of the circle track places and what not make everything that will work on these cars also. I paid around $50 not including springs for my front stuff

Comment

Ya, I believe Ireland dosn't make them either as the stuff looks identical to the ones I purchased from another company, ya my set screws have little nylon tips on them, pretty nice if I might add :) The supplier has the adjusters for both size springs I believe, I know for the 2.5 they had both the gold, and black adjuster nuts. A lot of the circle track places and what not make everything that will work on these cars also. I paid around $50 not including springs for my front stuff
                              Man... so much markup. TCK said to run the adjusters upside down since my springs are too small for them. Any way you'd be interested in sharing where I can get the adjusters? :D
                              Michael Spiegle

'99 M3 / Track Car

Comment

Working...
                              X