Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FeatherChini View Post
    Sand paper?? On chrome??? Im trying to shine, it not destroy it lol
    You dont have chrome bumpers. They're aluminum. So using fine grit sand paper, they can be brought up to a shine after polishing them.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
      You dont have chrome bumpers. They're aluminum. So using fine grit sand paper, they can be brought up to a shine after polishing them.
      Eek. My bad, I was misinformed. So fine sand paper & a polish should do the trick?

Comment

How about replacing the stripping that goes around the DB bumps..is this possible? Mines cracked.

Comment

Originally posted by FeatherChini View Post
          How about replacing the stripping that goes around the DB bumps..is this possible? Mines cracked.
          They sell it all new, but for the price of it, might as well do a plastic bumper swap! http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...51&hg=51&fg=15

And look up forcedfirebird on here, i think he polished his diving board bumpers.

1992 BMW 325iC
          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Is there a write up or something on here for removing the bumpers? I can't seem to find one.

I need to remove my plastic bumper so I can install my MT2 valence and I've never taken it off.

Also, on the late models with plastic bumper...how do you remove the moldings on the corners of the car? A couple of mine are scuffed/cracked and I want to repair and repaint them. Thanks!
            1991 318is - Daily/weekend track car.

An on-ramp is a terrible thing to waste...

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
              There are a lot of different bumpers out there and there are a lot of people who hate thiers so maybe we should cover some of the basics of the E30 bumpers.

First there are the E30s made before 1988. All E30s made before 88 either got the international chrome bumper or the very large aluminum and rubber 5mph bumper that looks like this:

These cars can NOT take the plastic bumpers without heavy modification shown in Jordan's tech article. And no, there is no easy way that doesnt result in it looking horrid.

For cars made in 1988 and beyond you CAN install the plastic bumpers everyone knows and loves because those cars have the lower rear arches. On the cabrios you may want to install the latter valance to finish the update but they are a bolt on mod (except for cutting the tow hook):

For those of you who have the late model International bumpers you might wanna know, "How can I be more Euro?" Well dont fret, you too can have the opportunity. The only difference in the late model Euro bumpers is the deletion of the sidemarkers. You can get the trim that doesnt have the sidemarkers and then sell your sidemarkers to someone in Europe, they are the shizzle over there.

Now before you guys with the ugly, horrid, evil US 5mph bumpers start crying there is an out. The international market bumpers for the early cars were slick little chrome units that look great and are a bolt on mod (only drill 2 holes) for the early cars.

These are what they look like over the stock US valance and with a stock rear:

Then if you have plastic bumpers and money (they are expensive) you can install the mtec2 bumper covers and bodykit:

Just to reiterate. Unless you have lots of money or own a bodyshop you cant have plastic bumpers look right on a pre-88 car.

*some pics jacked from Fred
              I have an 88 325i vert, how do I install plastic front valance?
              sigpicMy Project!

Official North Texas Bimmers Club E30 Representative

www.BimmerAlliance.net

"If you have questions about events or need help in the DFW area don't be afraid to contact me."

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                And look up forcedfirebird on here, i think he polished his diving board bumpers.
                1/3 of the way through his first he said screw it and dropped them off at a local polishing company. you really have to sand a shit ton to get through the anodized layer.

they look great polished though.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Here's what I'm working with, how to install??

I am away from my computer, being lazy!
                  sigpicMy Project!

www.BimmerAlliance.net

"If you have questions about events or need help in the DFW area don't be afraid to contact me."

Comment

Originally posted by bigdrick323 View Post
                    Here's what I'm working with, how to install??

You need a bracket that holds it or you can just drill holes in your bumper
                    Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
                    Last edited by efficient; 01-20-2013, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Will the rear rub strip fit into the front bumper. If so, is it a direct fit? Im looking to do this. I've tried searching but can not find anything on it.
                      Attached Files
                      (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

^^^Search function. there is a DIY on how to do it.
                        sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

So ive done the plastic rear bumper swap and im wondering if there is an easier way to correct the rear bumpers "extensions" in the wheel arches,has anyone rolled their fenders into it,or chopped the access and slapped a fender flare over it?
                          Im a terrible fiberglass man..

Comment

wrong section?lol

Comment

Different diving board shocks

i skimmed through the pages and didnt see anything about the differences between early model vert bumpers (DB) and early model coupe/4dr bumpers (DB) there is a slight length difference as i did the simple swap on my 2dr....

having trouble uploading the before and after pics but the thread i did it on is pretty short and right to the point.

heres the link

Comment

How do I install plastic valance only? Still issue of screwing in shroud.

sigpicMy Project!

www.BimmerAlliance.net

Comment

Working...
                                X