No announcement yet.

Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping out the x5 lever to try out the Ireland Engineering SSK. Picture with the a z3 1.9 lever as well for comparisons sake. This was after I bent the IE lever back since it had a bit too much forward lean for me.

Bent the lever the same way I bent the x5, using the upper pipe from my floor jack.

Also I had pulled the adjustable lever up to its tallest height and there was a little play in the bottom so I made a seal out of some electrical tape wrapping it sticky side out so it would slide and then taped over that. Perfect fit and no more wobble. (second pic just taken to show concept)

IE lever has slightly longer bottom end than the x5. Throw is definitely a little shorter but from first impressions it is a slightly harsher shift than the x5, also its probably still a bit stiff.
    1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
    1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
    E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Found a cheap option for raising the pivot point on super short bmw shift levers.
      Last edited by TheWipprSnappr; 06-11-2018, 07:38 AM.
      1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
      1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
      E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Ok, even with the likely added vibration, this is definitely a shifter I'd like to try. Only T56 versions though.

Bolt-on sequential shifter conversion: https://www.s1sequential.com/product...hifter-t56-gm/

Originally posted by Victell View Post
        This design transmits all the engine vibration and noise through the shifter. It would be quite significant, especially with an M42. It would probably rattle a shift knob off pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by dsphil View Post
          That is exactly what I wanted to do, but dont have the resources like cnc or lathe. I bet it shift like butter.

Just finished reading 963 posts here. Started out planning a simple upgrade. Then got sucked into the design of it all.

Dsphil, I dig your train of thought. Here is my idea based off your comments. Not really sure if it would be any sort of improvement, but it is a neat concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My first idea was to get one with a long lower portion; z3m, e60 or Z4 3.0. Then cut the cup off my carrier and weld or bolt that to an aluminum plate and screw that down on top of my tunnel. DIY race car looking stuff. This keeps the longer lower section away from the driveshaft and higher up so it is more in line with the selector rod. The X5 lever would be pretty sweet this way. I would bend it more or less straight.

Comment

Originally posted by HCMW Adam View Post
              Just finished reading 963 posts here. Started out planning a simple upgrade. Then got sucked into the design of it all.

Dsphil, I dig your train of thought. Here is my idea based off your comments. Not really sure if it would be any sort of improvement, but it is a neat concept.

Nice artwork.

If the dimensions above and below the pivot are the same, it would have the same fore/aft travel as the comparison shifter of similar dimension.
              HOWEVER, it will move significantly farther left/right than a comparably dimensioned stock style shifter.

Comment

My mind has been in this all day. Decided to fill in some details. This is still a concept. No dimensions are confirmed.

Comment

My mind has been in this all day. Decided to fill in some details. This is still a concept. No dimensions are confirmed.

I have not spend any more time on it since. Maybe this summer if I have time I might try to do a bench setup to see how it does. kudo to your persuing.
                  sigpic
                  327is
                  325es
                  325es
                  318is
                  Fiesta ST
                  E46 M3

Comment

What software is that?

Comment

Solid works. I have it for work.

Comment

I have been messing with this a bit. Got it to where I only have to make two parts from scratch and modify two others.

I have two questions right now. What is the diameter of the gear selector input shaft and the diameter of the pin that goes in it?

Comment

I have been messing with this a bit. Got it to where I only have to make two parts from scratch and modify two others.

I have two questions right now. What is the diameter of the gear selector input shaft and the diameter of the pin that goes in it?

The shaft is 14.84mm and the pin is 5.96mm. I would use the stock selector joint design to provide some axial movement. That clevis joint connection looks weak.
                          sigpic
                          327is
                          325es
                          325es
                          318is
                          Fiesta ST
                          E46 M3

Comment

What does this gain beyond a lot of shifter motion and vibration?

Comment

This setup below is a copy of an alternate BMW Motorsport design.
                              You can find it in the Homologation papers of the E30M3.
                              I think it may have been for the later 6 speed cars.

My Prodrive car came with this type of shifter when I bought it.
                              I believe at one point my car had a 6 speed, that was long gone by the time I got the car.
                              The shifter "carrier" had a welded / fabricated portion that bolted to the back of the transmission somewhat similar to the one pictured.

The Prodrive one was more of a tubing and bent sheet metal fabrication with a spherical bearing that provided the pivot point for the shifter handle but overall intent of the shifter style was very close to the one pictured.
                              I reverted my car to a standard BMW Motorsport DTM body mounted shifter when I restored it, but I still have the transmission mounted version in my box of parts.

Originally posted by raudonis View Post
                              I found an old auction for a similar design from Belgium, but the arm is mounted to the transmission, not the chassis:

Last edited by JimmyP; 01-03-2019, 10:24 AM.
                              Jimmy P.
                              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                              92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                              98 318Ti Morea Green
                              04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Is that to reduce missed shifts by reducing the angle at which the shift link meets the transmission shift shaft?

Comment

Working...
                                X