Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closed loop idle tuning

Hi all,

Just chasing some advice, my car isn't starting on closed loop unless i have my foot on the accelerator. Now i was going though the setting and the idle valve duty% both open and closed look like they are set pretty low. Would that be what is stopping the car from starting and getting to idle or do i need to look at some other setting to sort this out?
    Attached Files

Under the startup/idle menu, you need to open the idle cranking duty/steps table. Raise the cranking duty for your affected CLTs.
    Last edited by Jaxx_; 02-17-2022, 10:36 PM.
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

okay, sorry i didn't explain that very well. The car turns over and the catches but without any throttle input it only lasts for a second then stalls out straight away.

Comment

Is the idle already 100% tuned on open loop?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

yeah i guess so, after it leaves the warmup period it holds its idle well and doesn't seem to be running rich or anything.

Comment

have you tried more ASE?
            '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
            NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
            Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

there are some good guides around setting the idle valves.

generally speaking this is how i think you do,

-figure out what % it idles at when its stone cold and at elevated rpm (~1200 or whatever) - the stone cold one is your "open duty"
              -Figure out what % it idles at when its at operating temp. - the operating temp is your "closed duty"

have you changed any of these numbers? raising the "open duty" might help your issue.

Comment

if it's dying after starting, that's probably not ICV tuning. Most likely your ASE curve is not enough - or your CLT/IAT curves are not well calibrated.

A poorly tuned ICV will not die, but the idle with fluctuate, especially while cold.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Okay it turns out it was the idle duty % was the problem. They were set way to low so I've adjusted them both and now she is all sweet.

Comment

Working...
                  X