No announcement yet.

Miller W.A.R. Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any pictures of the MAF/Induction kit installed?

Comment

Originally posted by zerokid5555 View Post
      Are there any pictures of the MAF/Induction kit installed?

Comment

Will it fit in an early model?
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
        Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
          Will it fit in an early model?
          There are some early model things to change, like the ICV. While the ICV varies greatly on these cars, you need to make sure you have the 90* style ICV like in the picture.

Also, the Splash guard will have to be modified to fit the early bumpers.

Comment

ICV is not a problem i just wanted to know if it would fit the body
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

It fits in my 87 325is. That's as early as it gets.

Comment

cool, then i guess it will fit my '86 325i (wink)

Comment

I really like the way this cleans up the engine bay.

Any thoughts on a different brand of filter? I'm not a big fan of K&N.
                  1990 325is - sterling silver, very nice, maybe for sale

Comment

I switched back to the OEM paper filter after seeing this:

And besides, I don't want oil on my MAF.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                    Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Scott View Post
                      I really like the way this cleans up the engine bay.

Any thoughts on a different brand of filter? I'm not a big fan of K&N.
                      We have always felt comfortable using K&N filters. However, you are more than welcome to switch up the filter for a different brand/material.

We have sampled some race used filters but haven't found something better yet.

Comment

I'd be concerned about sucking up water and hydrolocking the engine with that setup... especially in the PNW where it rains a lot. One trip through a puddle could grenade your whole engine.

Comment

Originally posted by brody View Post
                          The intake is intended for off road use, ie. the race track where you won't hit deep puddles. There is a splash shield that comes with the kit too. But generally it won't be any different than the intakes where a headlight is removed.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                            I'd be concerned about sucking up water and hydrolocking the engine with that setup... especially in the PNW where it rains a lot. One trip through a puddle could grenade your whole engine.
                            We are in the PNW too, and one of our shop cars as well as several local cars have this installed. The shop car makes a trip to Seattle and back up to twice a week (240 Miles round trip) in this nasty rain we have all the time and no problems.

If you go through a puddle deep enough, then that is just being careless, any regular puddles you get on the road get sprayed out sideways, not forward and up.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                              With regards to water consumption:
                              "One interesting test that Frank ran in conjunction with water injection development was called a “drowning test”. Here, the amount of water was increased beyond what was required to suppress detonation. Eventually the amount of water was increased to the point that water was pouring out about half the cylinders, but the engine was still running. Finally, when power had dropped to about 600 HP the test was terminated. There were no ill effects to the engine." (from http://www.enginehistory.org/Frank%20WalkerWeb1.pdf)

Point being it takes a boatload of water to break your engine. Some spray hitting your air filter won't do it. Complete submersion of the inlet however...
                              You'll probably run into issues with the MAF operating before you kill the engine, barring complete submersion of the inlet.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                              Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Originally posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
                                With regards to water consumption:
                                "One interesting test that Frank ran in conjunction with water injection development was called a “drowning test”. Here, the amount of water was increased beyond what was required to suppress detonation. Eventually the amount of water was increased to the point that water was pouring out about half the cylinders, but the engine was still running. Finally, when power had dropped to about 600 HP the test was terminated. There were no ill effects to the engine." (from http://www.enginehistory.org/Frank%20WalkerWeb1.pdf)

Point being it takes a boatload of water to break your engine. Some spray hitting your air filter won't do it. Complete submersion of the inlet however...
                                You'll probably run into issues with the MAF operating before you kill the engine, barring complete submersion of the inlet.
                                uhh.... That's not how it works. You only need a few teaspoons in a cylinder to blow it up. Think about how little space there is between the combustion chamber crown and the piston at TDC. Fill up that space with water (which cannot be compressed) and you'll literally blow either your valves out of their guides or your piston out the side of your block. There's nowhere for the water to go, so something has to give.

I used to work at a BMW dealership, saw it happen more times than I care to think about. A lot of new Minis have that problem, and an e60 M5 was in just the other week with a destroyed engine after going through a puddle.

I'm sure it's great for track cars and summer-driven toys, but I personally would never put one on a DD. The marginal gains over the stock airbox wouldn't be worth the risk for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X